FIVE WEEKS IN! Pictures + Question LOOK!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

215zealot

Buddy's grow, it needs alot of work, he is not tooo computer savy so im helping him out, he was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

These are 5-6 week strawberry cough that are already flowering under 12/12.

The lights are 400 HPS each. THe spectrum looks different on each light, which leads me to my first question. Will this affect plants? Why are they diferent color? They are both HPS. Also, are the lights too far away? My buddy wants to move the plants closer.

SunSystem 400 on the right looks to have a more blue tint, Light on left is unknown brand but definately HPS.

the ballasts are supported on wood blocks, there is a res underneath the table (NOT PICTURED)

Close up of the leafs, ARE THEY NUTRIENT DEFICIENT?? I was thinking they needed a little more nitrogen? He says they need phosphorus.

]
bad leaf, should i prune bad leafs? Is there signs of anything wrong with this leaf? He seems to think its ok to leave bad leafs on, i say trim them. What should we do?

So yeah, his main questions.

1) Lights, why are they different colored, is this bad? Should they be closer?

2) DO the plants look nutrient deficient and why? WHat do they need?

3) He currently feeds using distilled water that is dosed according to the Lucas Formula at 1/2 strengh. He doesnt have his pump system set up yet, so he feeds by hand. He is still unsure how often the plants should be watered. Current regimen is every 2-3 hours during the daylight phase of 12/12

4) They are planted in COCO coir, should the plants be transplanted to hydroclay? He has bigger pots, i told him to transplant, he wants to keep them in the coco for a bit. Help us settle our problems, because both of us are pretty new to growing hydroponics.

7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.

hmmm the yellow looking light is hps but the whitish blue light looks like a MH light, IMO if the lights are 400 watt they could be moved closer to 12"-18" from the top of the company, and no having both spectrums of light won't hurt the plants it actually gives them a better balance of the colour spectrum and they won't stretch of much..

Hello 215 :)

1 of your lights looks a HPS and the other one looks a MH.

The lights are too far away, use the back of the hand method, put your hand at the top of the canopy, lower the lights, if the light feels too hot for the skin on the back of your hand, then it is too hot for the plant, lower the light until you can feel it between warm and hot on the skin of the back of your hand.

The plants are healthy, no problems with any leaves, do not remove any leaves, even when damaged, if a leaf gets damaged the plant will use the damaged leafs energy and the leaf will shrivel and die, that is the only time you take leaves off a plant.

Its time to get the pump working, it should have been working a long time ago.

Stop using photobucket pics, they are not safe.

well the lights look like one hps an one mh. an there is no problem running them both.

so you guys dont notice any nutrient deficiencies or anything like that??

If the left one is MH then we are doing something wrong because it is a sunsystem 400 HPS. We need to get another bulb, i didnt know an HPS ballast would run a MH bulb.

also, how often should the plants be watered. So far its about every 2.5 hours and they only get a few ounces each, just enough so that a teeny bit drains out the bottom. I read that smaller containers + coco coir needed frequent watering?

215zealot said:
so you guys dont notice any nutrient deficiencies or anything like that??

If the left one is MH then we are doing something wrong because it is a sunsystem 400 HPS. We need to get another bulb, i didnt know an HPS ballast would run a MH bulb.

also, how often should the plants be watered. So far its about every 2.5 hours and they only get a few ounces each, just enough so that a teeny bit drains out the bottom. I read that smaller containers + coco coir needed frequent watering?
water is determend by the climate of your grow area, yes smaller containers and coco need more watering but it all depends are your temp of the grow area the hotter the more the little ladys will drink and with cooler temps they still will drink alot but not dry out as quick with hotter conditions...

and as for the bulb it could be a converstion bulb hps to mh

I am using distilled water so the PH should be in the correct 5.5 area?

The room temps are really good, its pretty cold out so the natural house temp is like 60 but the room is a little warmer even during the day when the lights are off, id say about 70.

215zealot said:
I am using distilled water so the PH should be in the correct 5.5 area?

You cant count on that you need to measure it.

Cant see any pictures.

I uploaded my pictures to the gallery section but i dont know how to post them in here???????

here we go view attached.

just checked PH its under 6 for sure.

edit: ok i did a high range PH test and now its reading in the 7s. I am using a PH test kit from my aquarium, im gonna have to go to hydro shop today and buy a regular PH test because i am getting two readings.

the best PH is 5.5-5.7 right?

TheFIrstNinewideview.jpg

TheFIrstNine3.jpg

I would just use the MH (blue tint light) for now. You don't need both of those. Use the HPS or both, during flowering.

Well, my buddy decided to induce flowering already, i wanted to wait another week and give them more nitrogen, he says its a fast growing strain. as you can see we have alot of disagreements about how to raise these little guys/

also, alot of my stems are turning purplish/red. Is this bad???

NEW PICS.

my buddy decided to slant the light, i told him i wasnt sure if he should, but it seems to look ok. he went out and bought a new HPS bulb with built in reflector this thing is 50x as bright as the other bulb, its awesome.

we have a couple questions.

1) are the lights correctly positioned?? the plants dont feel like their warm, plus i have a fan blowing on them 24/7.

2) should we transplant to bigger pots filled with hydro clay?? this coco coir is messy and everytime we water a bunch of dirt gets into the hydro tray.

3) Just bought a PH test kit and we also got some FloraBlend compost tea that we are slightly dosing the plants with.

NewLights 001.jpg

NewLights 002.jpg

the ph depends if you are growing hydro or in soil. hydro likes it lower. soil between 5.5? and 6.5? ish I've never had any problems with ph so i never test mine.
are you gonna repot those babies? and don't worry about when to put em into flowering. some people grow theirs on 12/12 from seed. It all depends on how much space you got and what you want. How much height do you have?

lots of height. the plants are actually raised almost 4 feet off the ground using a table and buckets. i can lower the plants easily.

My buddy went to the club today and got 4 more plants, all of them are in veg about 1 feet tall, they have been harvested for clones previously. i guess we are going to put them into 18/6 veg and boost them up with nitrogen because they are very deficient.

went to the club and got 4 more plants? Mama mia .... "In da club wid a pocket full of bud" I heard about, but getting new plants .. wow.
Looks to me that those plants need bigger pots about now.
I grow in coco and I don't get that you are watering like that. Coco holds water like a sponge, I water my plants once a week or maybe twice, but with enough to soak right through.

really?? you only water them twice a week??? I had a feeling i was overwatering because they were draining pretty fast. I will cut back on watering.

I read elsewhere that most people flood their trays every 3 hours, thats why i was doing that.

Latest posts

Back