plant rotation during the flowering period?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
Many growers rotate their plants during flowering to allow light for the shaded parts of a plant so that the buds on these parts grow better. Other growers believe that rotating the plant every week or two in flowering in fact causes the plant to lose some flowering time adjusting to the new location of the light source. they believe that would cause the buds not to grow as big as they should since the light is not getting to the leaves enough time for them to grow the buds since much time is lost while plants adjust to light. outdoor sunlight moves daily and a good way to replicate this indoor is with a light mover but this is not the case in question.
what i and other growers would like to know is what the effect of rotating a plant has if done manually several days apart during flowering? does anyone have info about this? sources or links? do you rotate your plants during flowering? or not? if you do when, how, why, or why not??
many thanks for sharing, zem :)

I move mine around once every 2 days, why not sure maybe im lazy??? Sounds like this topic needs to be tested some day. Maybe on my next grow I will move half around the whole plant life and half I will never move. IMO the ones moved around will get more bushy.

What other growers? I have never heard of this?

I run my lights vert with plants all around., I rotate mine every day or every other day at about 1/4 rotation per turn (its easy when there square pots LOL ). I also have CFLs to help out in the shade parts as the main bulb is a 400wMH. I don't think it matters a whole bunch how much how often and when, leaves will turn which ever way they need to. But i like to do it also gives me the opprotunity to check over the plants more carefully each day :)
I haven't noticed a whole bunch of - effects. I mean the sun does it all during the day.

I rotate mine outside more....so that the north sides facing the fence get the benfits that the south side of the plant does..if that makes sense..I also wedge them apart with little branches to let sunlight inside..

Phototropism. When you rotate the plants- it continues. It's actually the shaded side growing faster, causing the plant to bend towards the light (or at least appear to do so).

IMO it won't help the "shaded" buds grow better or faster. Photosynthesis is still occuring within the plant- it doesn't matter that the light is hitting it directly or not. The process of photosynthesis creates energy that the plant utilizes for many things- including root growth- by creating cellular mass. How much light do your roots get?

Just my thoughts based on what I've read.

BB now that makes sense! ZEM, thank you for starting this thread and inviting me to check it out but...I'm not interested in other peoples oppinions on the subject...sorry. I asked if there was any scientific proof to your theory that moving the plants was in some way harmful to the plant or the yeild. Unless there is proof...then it is an oppinion and should be stated as such, telling someone it is harmful to turn their plants is not right unless there is some proof to the theory. I have already seen 2 new growers in other threads freaking out, worried they have stressed their plants because they read that crap, that you shouldn't move plants...thats all I'm saying if there is no proof to the theory then don't state it like it's one of the 10 commandments...I have several books on growing MJ and I have never read anywhere in any of them that we should not move our plants. I also have freinds that rotate all the time, and have great yeilds...I personally don't rotate, cause I'm lazy...lol...actually I'm sure they get rotated because I have to move plants to feed and water, and I'm sure they don't get put back in the exact same spot. I think if someone got hermi's, or a sorry yeild, they should probably look into what other things they have done to stress their plants other than rotate, or move them.

Again people Indoor growing is not about replicating the outdoors. Indoor growing is about getting the best yeild out of the best environment you can give your plant...it's not copying the outdoors...because something happens or doesn't happen in nature means very little in our indoor grows.

Well I am going to rotate my plants and love them and nuture them, then, I'm gonna kill em and smoke em!

legalize_freedom I am confused:confused2: If we are not reciprocating the outdoors what are we doing...The sun = hid lights, the wind = our fans, The rotation of the earth = our timers, the rain = our watering, see where I am going with this? About the only things I try not to reciprocate are disasters. I just put my indoors at the optimum outdoor conditions. My figuring is they sure have been growing outdoors a whole lot longer than they have indoors, and for me to change any of their basic growing ways, I would have to live a few hundred centuries to do this. Just my $0.02:bolt::bong2:

NorthernHoney said:
Well I am going to rotate my plants and love them and nuture them, then, I'm gonna kill em and smoke em!

:yeahthat: right now:bolt::bong2:

pcduck said:
legalize_freedom I am confused:confused2: If we are not reciprocating the outdoors what are we doing...The sun = hid lights, the wind = our fans, The rotation of the earth = our timers, the rain = our watering, see where I am going with this? About the only things I try not to reciprocate are disasters. I just put my indoors at the optimum outdoor conditions. My figuring is they sure have been growing outdoors a whole lot longer than they have indoors, and for me to change any of their basic growing ways, I would have to live a few hundred centuries to do this. Just my $0.02:bolt::bong2:

LOL--we are controlling and manipulating our growing conditions to optimize them--this does not mean that we are trying to change how the plant grows, just give it the best of what it needs--this is what optimizing conditions means. If we were trying to replicate outside conditions, we would set our lighting and light schedules up to duplicate the sun's duration and movement--but we dont, we run extended veg cycles and force flowering. We would also be watering with rain water with no nutes (and only when it actually rained), we would turn our fans on only when the wind blew. We wouldn't be cooling or heating our spaces...etc, etc

The Hemp Goddess said:
LOL--we are controlling and manipulating our growing conditions to optimize them--this does not mean that we are trying to change how the plant grows, just give it the best of what it needs--this is what optimizing conditions means. If we were trying to replicate outside conditions, we would set our lighting and light schedules up to duplicate the sun's duration and movement--but we dont, we run extended veg cycles and force flowering. We would also be watering with rain water with no nutes (and only when it actually rained), we would turn our fans on only when the wind blew. We wouldn't be cooling or heating our spaces...etc, etc

:yeahthat:

we are trying to exaggerate and develop all the positive conditions that are favorable to growing...not duplicate outdoor conditions...

The Hemp Goddess said:

I think that is what most of us try to do but to say that we are not copying the outdoor environment is just false. We just use it to our advantage which is making use of optimization that we have.(light timers..ect..) Unless someone has found some mj that does not need light, water,ect..

legalize_freedom said:
Again people Indoor growing is not about replicating the outdoors...there is no comparison! Indoor growing is about getting the best yeild out of the best environment you can give your plant...it's not copying the outdoors...because something happens or doesn't happen in nature means very little in our indoor grows.

Good point LF! It is sheer arrogance on the part of man to try to command nature or attempt to reproduce it.

We can identify some of the essential elements and provide what we can through artificial means- but we are not replicating the outdoors.

Wish I could.

Duck I think you misunderstood my post or are reading way too much into it. Of course plants need water, fresh air, wind, and light. But they don't NEED it Exactly the way that nature gives it to them, if we did it EXACTLY like nature (which we never could I've never seen a HID as powerful as the sun, and I know that I am not GOD) we would not be able to get finished product in a short period of time. It is about manipulating the environment to get the best out of the plant, not copying the environment...we don't make our lights rise from the floor from the east in the morning and lower to the west at night. We don't gradually make our days shorter, we do it suddenly to induce flowering, suddenly so that we can get our yeilds in the shortest amount of time possable. My fans blow constantly in my room to get strong stems, the wind outside does not blow constantly....there are bugs outside...hopefully there are none in your grow...but if we were copying nature we would have them. Plants do not get topped or supercropped, or have LST done to them in nature, but good growers incorporate these methods in their grows to get increased yeilds. I made this statement because people always use the excuse "it doesn't do that in nature" whenever it fits thier oppinion.

It is NOT false to say we are not copying the outdoors...it IS false to say that we are copying it. If you are copying it, or think that you possably could...well good luck to you!

Boy this one really broke down. I think there are just a few different people saying the same thing.

I think that it would be interesting for a person to take two seperate grows and use a light mover that would move from one side to another over the light period, and just rotate the other garden. Of course, you would have to do this experiment at least 50 times in order to get a big enough sampling to form an opinion with a basis in fact.

IMO, its a moot point. If there is a enough light, and your canopy is evenly covered, then it doesnt need to be rotated or have a light that moves around.

I decided that this comment was not needed in the thread, it was more of an imature lashback on my part. anyone that read the original thread here please accept my oppologies, there was no need for me to go there.

legalize_freedom said:
BB now that makes sense! ZEM, thank you for starting this thread and inviting me to check it out but...I'm not interested in other peoples oppinions on the subject...sorry. I asked if there was any scientific proof to your theory that moving the plants was in some way harmful to the plant or the yeild. Unless there is proof...then it is an oppinion and should be stated as such, telling someone it is harmful to turn their plants is not right unless there is some proof to the theory. I have already seen 2 new growers in other threads freaking out, worried they have stressed their plants because they read that crap, that you shouldn't move plants...thats all I'm saying if there is no proof to the theory then don't state it like it's one of the 10 commandments...I have several books on growing MJ and I have never read anywhere in any of them that we should not move our plants. I also have freinds that rotate all the time, and have great yeilds...I personally don't rotate, cause I'm lazy...lol...actually I'm sure they get rotated because I have to move plants to feed and water, and I'm sure they don't get put back in the exact same spot. I think if someone got hermi's, or a sorry yeild, they should probably look into what other things they have done to stress their plants other than rotate, or move them.

Again people Indoor growing is not about replicating the outdoors...there is no comparison! Indoor growing is about getting the best yeild out of the best environment you can give your plant...it's not copying the outdoors...because something happens or doesn't happen in nature means very little in our indoor grows.

when growing outside I dont use bottom on the pots (dont want stagnate water) I have to rotate very regularly or the roots will grow right into the ground...

:rant:
:confused2: :confused2:

What did leafminer say? Was his post deleted?

Latest posts

Back