First time grower using ebb and grow system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could cut the tent, but it would ruin it, and it would make it harder to block out all light, Maybe i can try some mcgyver **** and cut grommets into the tent and put plastic pass through's to connect the water, maybe i till try that, or just put a small hole and pass the plastic connector through, I shouldn't hvae to access it though its kind of a set it and forget it, i need access to the drum so i can test water, and add nutes etc..
mine goes from a 55 gallon drum, pumps into the controller that distributes its to the buckets, and floats and timer that shuts off and turns on each

imo you are worrying a lot, it is fabric you can make a tight cut and squeeze the hose in, and then duct tape the fabric to the hose. use black lightproof duct tape if required to make it 100% lightproof. if i want to seal duct tape at the end for a permanent fix, i just use some pva with a brush to seal its end ;)

Yep I think I am going to have to, Thanks for the advice

ok update, i have cut holes in the tent, I have tested the system and it appears to work well, although i think i am going to buy another controller unit with more floats for backup and safety, mine only has 2 floats, so if the top one fails it will keep filling, and flood out.
I am going to get some plastic tubs, rather then use the 55 gallon drum. I have germinated the seeds and put them into the rockwool, soon enough i will have seedlings poking up looking for the light. I am going to be gentle and give them floro for the first few weeks increasing the floros each day or 2.
When should i start with the nutes?

wait until the first set of new leaves appear then start with 1/3 strength or so.
i use overflow hole with simply a timer and gravity to drain back to the res, this way i need no floaters at all and if timer fails the overflow prevents flooding

i suspect that the small cube is not dug in deep enough and the taproot reached the ends of it and is having hard time going through the dry zone. make sure the water level is reaching the cube at every flooding and flood it more often. I would definitely place the cube deeper too. at this point I would also add a 1/4 strength to help it too.

yes i started 1/3 strength and the cube is being flooded, i had just pushed it into the stones, I also gave 1/3 to the one just popping out so hopefully that one will have better first growth, i suspect i will have to support this first one though at some point

I also put an air stone in my reservoir not sure if i should have or not but it seemed like a good idea to oxygenate the nutes

I would get that cube buried under the hydrotron. Rockwool can and does grow algae.

I have never had a hydro seedling lag behind a soil seedling like that. In fact, my hydro plants usually outgrow my soil plants.

well my motto is if it can go wrong , with me it will go wrong, this is why i wanted to start with bag seeds rather then the ones i bought but its ok ill pull through this and they will be just fine in the end. I may even buy a cover for it to block uv, I did not want to bury the stem in rocks because its still very fragile

the pic in the dirt was my MG experiment, then i accidentally murdered her

I think that you should have waited for the plant to be a bit bigger to put into the hydro unit. I wait until I have very good root growth coming out of the bottom of the cube. I also bury them in the hydrotron so that the stem is completely buried without any damage to the stem. As your little baby probably still does not have much root growth, I would pull the cube out and bury it. Then you can be sure that the cube is getting wet during the flood cycle and you will not have to worry about algae growing on the cube.

If you are prepared and go into this with the knowledge you need, there is no reason for "everything to go wrong for you" (try to think more positively--negative vibes can bring negative actions).

unfortunately its not possible to gain the knowledge without performing the tasks, sometimes repetitively. But I am not negative, I know exactly what would happen going in with no real experience, of course its going to be disastrous, but how else can one learn without making the mistakes.
I am very positive, I can make them survive and even strive, and I will learn the lessons for the next grow. Which will hopefully be clones

LOL--not true at all. You can gain knowledge from others who have gone before you. You just have to ask and avail yourself to it. There is absolutely no reason that a first grow need be disastrous. You can read so you can avoid mistakes. You truly do not have to make all the mistakes yourself to avoid them. The more you read, know and ask questions, the better your grow will be. I know many that had stellar first grows because they studied, asked questions, and did what experienced growers recommended.

Thg is right !! Seeing/ reading about a mistake is enough to instil in you to be weary of making the same mistake

Not for everyone, every person learns differently, understanding how you learn is vital, i know how i learn, i have all the knowledge and understanding, but still manage to make simple rookie mistakes because its new and i learn from doing. No worries my girls 2 of them that are left will be just fine, or I could kill them both either is possible

View attachment IMG_20150902_183737_546.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150902_183742_782.jpg

I am currently running 1/3 of nutes, should i be adding another 3rd, should i change the water? if i change the water what do you usually do with the old nut solution? is it ok to just throw in the drian or should i dump it on plants outside?

i dump my water in the drain because i don't like to saturate the garden with chemical ferts. a weekly res change is common practice although i run it for longer, but as a newb, it would be good imo. as for the concentration, i would not give that tiny seedling more than 1/2 strength, 500-600ppm

well i am currently at 1/3 270ppm i was going to boost it to 2/3 at around 500ppm, but instead i will cut it to 1/2 and 500ppm. both seeds are same age, one seed stretched, and the other seems normal. I was hoping to be able to throw the ferts on my pear tree, but that might not be a good idea. I am currently filling the 2nd container with filtered water, and i will add nutes then ph it to between 5.5 and 6.5. Then i will likely pump the old stuff out into the sewer

Latest posts

Back