Anyone using UVB lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/ESA3ENUM5JC_FeatureWeek_3.html

Thanks to ESA, KNMI offers a UV forecasting Service

Global clear-sky UV index

Global clear-sky UV index 26 March 2001. Image:KNMI/ESA.

GOME Fast Delivery Ozone Profiles

GOME ozone profiles retrieved within 3 hours after observations over one orbit on 23 March 2001. Global information on the chemical composition and related physical characteristics of the atmosphere and their trends, are required to improve the understanding of the behaviour of the atmosphere. The atmospheric ozone distribution shows strong fluctuations related to wind fields. New and consistent data sets describing the dynamics and the ozone distribution, like ozone profiles derived from GOME measurements in near real time, lead to a better description of the state of the atmosphere and can be used to improve numerical weather prediction. Image:KNMI/ESA.

Wind fields

Impact of ozone measurements on the wind field for 200 hPa as calculated by an assimilation model(http://www.knmi.nl/onderzk/atmosam/soda/)

High UV Radiation over South America due to the Ozone Hole

Fast GOME ozone retrieval makes it possible to forecast global ozone distribution. High quality ozone forecasting serves as a basis for reliable ultraviolet (UV) sunlight forecasts, an important issue for human health protection. The global UV index map shows clearly high values over South America that is caused by the ozone hole extension to this (populated) area. (courtesy KNMI)

Ozone Hole Extension 12 October

Ozone hole extension on 12 October 2000(courtesy KNMI)

Release date: 2 July 2002

there are better more detailed maps out there, that was just what i could find ATM.

i`ve just introduced a UV lamp to my seedlings, more as an experiment to see on a practical level anything interesting.
in order to actually do a viable experiment i`d have to set up another veg chamber and mimic the conditions for the two-the only difference being the UV lamp.
some great info there dudes, i`m very intrigued as to the "trade-off" of yeild to potency-i`d take potency any day over yeild.
i think i may just do that, i`ll keep the info in my grow journal man-i`ll do the setting up over the next couple of days...

I think POTUS was right on the money, with the "some UV is harmfull".
It appears to me, that it is the plant attempts to defend against those harmfull rays, that may benefit the potency, not any light beneficial to the "plant".

surely as MJ developed naturally with normal photosynthesis from the sun-and it`s UV rays over thousands of years, taking that spectrum of light away sounds counter-productive, clearly we can all grow without additional UV and "if it ain`t broke don`t fix it" springs to mind.
i`m gonna go ahead as planned man, it seems there are no "deffinative" facts that this would be a bad move.
as "some" changes have been observed in the limited research which has been done,and not particularly bad either,it`s got me interested, and has to be worth looking into "IMO".
:holysheep: :) :holysheep:

Hick said:
I think POTUS was right on the money, with the "some UV is harmful".
It appears to me, that it is the plant attempts to defend against those harmful rays, that may benefit the potency, not any light beneficial to the "plant".

I see what you're saying, Hick. The UV harms the plant and the plant produces more thc as a byproduct of healing itself.

Interesting point of view. I'll be looking into it. Thanks man!

from the few years of reading ive done on the subect it seems to me that in simplest terms uv rays can cook the seeds of our pretty lil ladies if they arent protected. the way the plant defends itself is to turn some of the acids the plant naturally produces into tricomes to block the suns uv rays. ( like a sweet sticky sunblock) the more uv rays the more sunblock needed. thats why some of the best bud comes from around the equator or high altitude.
i agree that there just isnt enough research out there to be conclusive. from what ive read and how my plants reacted to the new lights i can say that there is something to it. 1 guy on the net isnt going to make the way growers as a whole think, but if a few more are willing to give it ago im more than happy to share notes, pics, and whatever might come in handy. ive only done a handful of grows with added uv. i prolly wont be much help, but i did take a ton of notes n junk. if nothing else we can contrast and compair.

th3bigbad said:
from the few years of reading ive done on the subect it seems to me that in simplest terms uv rays can cook the seeds of our pretty lil ladies if they arent protected. the way the plant defends itself is to turn some of the acids the plant naturally produces into tricomes to block the suns uv rays. ( like a sweet sticky sunblock) the more uv rays the more sunblock needed. thats why some of the best bud comes from around the equator or high altitude.
i agree that there just isnt enough research out there to be conclusive. from what ive read and how my plants reacted to the new lights i can say that there is something to it. 1 guy on the net isnt going to make the way growers as a whole think, but if a few more are willing to give it ago im more than happy to share notes, pics, and whatever might come in handy. ive only done a handful of grows with added uv. i prolly wont be much help, but i did take a ton of notes n junk. if nothing else we can contrast and compair.

Thanks, I agree. I am looking forward to seeing the results of many growers. I have my four lights within inches of the plants now. I haven't seen any problems yet. I will keep a photo record of the plants and their reactions to the lights. I am interested to see how far the light affects plants if at all. I think the key to the uvb light is that it is in the right
wavelengths.
If the lights work to increase the thc and resin production could we create super plants by breeding plants with higher and higher uvb influences. Ten or twenty years from now is there going to be a super super strain?

Here are a couple of pics of a hashberry. It is under 600watt hps and 4 26 watt reptiglo 10.0 bulbs. 21 days under setup.

garden 095.jpg

garden 096.jpg

Latest posts

Back