My Poor Baby :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but science says not to.

You can do your own science.. not just what you read. So if leaf removal and transplants work for you.. then you've attained a hypothesis, run an experiment and come to a conclusion of the outcome based on your hypothesis. So.... you are doing science! :D :)

Do you have any more FFOF? I don't know anything about your nute line.

I've got about a tenth of a bag left - definitely not enough to transplant right now. :(

OK we are beginning to see a pattern here. It looks like all of the issues are happening down low on the plant while up high and new growth is still fine. If you have looked them over carefully, we can rule out bugs, and you say you water/feed from the bottom so that rules out splash damage (that and the fact that it is occurring on multiple plants). So what you need to look at now is which elements are not very mobile in the plants, and which elements are mobile as the lack of one or more of those elements will cause damage down low but not up high.

Also, with the mobility question comes the idea that with some nutrients, if the soil isn't providing it, the plant will rob the needed nutrients from the lower parts to give to the upper parts where the flowers are. Also, notice that the issue didn't show up until they began flowering.

Just from the look of it, I am thinking that you are lacking in available micro nutrients. I am thinking either calcium, or manganese. However, potassium deficiency can also present this way as well. This still leaves us with several possibilities. It may be that the organic nutrient line isn't able to supply enough of what the plants need, and/or the microbe herd in your soil isn't strong enough to process the nutrients at a rate that is needed by the plants at this point. OR, the pH in the soil has gone way off the rail and has interfered with both absorption and microbe activity.

I kind of doubt that pH is causing this issue but when a problem isn't obvious, I like to rule out pH as a cause because it is very often the culprit for so many issues. As you are in soil, you need to do a runoff test to check the pH in the soil. To do this you need to get a couple gallons of purified bottled water. This water has nothing in it that will react with the chemistry. You would pour 1 gal through a plant (or enough to get about 1 collected cup of water runoff). You don't have to use so much that you actually flush the plant. This should tell us very closely what the pH is.

You may have to take the collected water to a hydro store to use their meter if you don't have one, and don't want to buy one. Be sure to do more than one plant. Do at least 2 plants, but keep the water from each one separate so that you get an accurate reading for each plant. This will rule out pH as the underlying issue, or prove it to be the issue.

If you don't want to do the pH test, You can try adding additional nutrients to the soil. I would suggest you get some "micro" nutrients from GH since the GO is from them. Try adding that and see what it does. I believe the problem may be a manganese and/or potassium deficiency is the problem.

Thanks, Hushpuppy. Your thoroughness is awesome and very helpful. A pH test isn't happening just yet...free time to get to the hydro store is scarce, and I have no pen. Hopefully next paycheck I can run by there next week for more nutes. Until then, I've increased the dosage. We'll see how it goes!

I think they are hungry. Mine are looking exactly like that. Going to top dress some work casings tomorrow.

Thanks yarddog, I'm hoping they recover shortly. I did trim off the ugly leaves.

And yes DGF, I know, I know...

Good for trimming the ugly. I trim LOTS AND LOTS of fan leaves during veg and up to end of week 2 flowering. Exposing the nodes is GREAT! The nodes have smaller fan leaves... when you remove the larger ones, they expose the smaller ones on the ever important nodes!! Sure, when they grow up, you'll have to remove the smaller ones that become larger, but you can worry about that when the time comes :)

So.. personally, not only do I remove damaged leaves (don't really get those much now-a-days) but I generally remove 75% of all large fan leaves. Defoliation is key especially with LED's!

Keep on keepin' on Mindtrip. :aok:

As you are running organic, I doubt that this is a pH issue. I really believe that it is a result of only using 1 part of a nute regime that should include about 3-4 things at this stage of growth. During vegging, the plants do not seem quite as picky if the nutes aren't quite up to par, but it can really show up in flower. Is it possible for you to pick up some Cal-Mag? I think that this is the most needed addition to the Bio Thrive. I did notice in the feeding schedule for the GO products it said that you can double the Bio-Thrive for heavy feeding plants. So, I say, yes, increase the Bio-Thrive a little bit at a time.

Thanks Doc and THG.

Got out of work early today, so I'm going by the shop to pick up some stuff. Should I get Cal-Mag and more GO nutes? Or one/the other? I hate to do it, but I'm going to put it on credit. :( I'd rather run up a credit card than harm my girls.

Just left the store, picked up some five-gallon pots, two bags of FFOF and some CaMg by GO. I'll get them squared away tonight. Thank you to everyone for all your help!

Anybody think a good flush of the soil? Then maybe some plain salzer water for oxygen in the soil and some salt back in to ballance all. Then add some new nutes. Anybody think thats good?

I personally do not think a flush is in order as I believe that this is a nutrient deficiency and not related to anything that can be cured with a flush. I often go entire cycles and never flush anything. If you have good drainage, the soil will bring in all the oxygen you need. Selzter water has CO2 dissolved in it--the roots need oxygen. I have never added any slats to my grows..in fact we flush to get rid of salts. What is the purpose of putting salts in the soil and how do you do it?

I think that adding the Ca-Mg is going to make a big difference. I think that I would also bump up the Bio-Thrive Bloom a bit.

Thanks as always, THG. I transplanted them into five-gallon pots last night and gave a good watering & feeding of Bloom and CaMg. The girls sleep during the day so I'll check them this evening and see how they're doing.

A big thank you to everyone who contributed. The girls are still showing tiny amounts of new brown, but I figure that's to be expected for a little while. I know changes in soil can take several days to show. Either way, the spreading of brown has gone WAY down and what little I do see is on older leaves - none on the newer ones. I'll keep up with the boosted Bloom and CaMg, and I'll post again if something else comes up.

Latest posts

Back