Quick question regarding discoloration!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've come out of the shadows once more to ask a question regarding a few leaves.

Soil is pro mix with apparently 9 months worth of nutes in it. I've never used this particular stuff before, I usually go with regular potting soil with no problems. I've added a bunch of worm castings mixed in with the promix also.
I've added a few doses of seaplex with humic acid so far a few times.
Humidity ... either too high or too low, I've had a space heater with the ladies quite often. I'm assuming the heater is messing with the humidity levels. I really do need a guage for temp and humidity!
Ph should be fine, I've been making sure it's within range when watering. Water is spring water from the store.
I believe I've overwatered once and also didn't water when I should have and I noticed burning when I didn't water.
New growth seems fine, just some old fan leaves are doing this:

GEDC2146.jpg

GEDC2151.jpg

What do you guys think? Are the nutrients in the promix not giving the ladies everything they need? Is the humidity probably too high/low and locking out something? Help a brother out please!

Yeah I saw that, I'm having a hard time figuring out which deficiency might be mine haha. Thanks!
From the chart, it kinda looks like iron def. Hmm..

Is it just a few of the leaves, can we see a pic of the whole plant with the new growth please?

Umm what promix has 9 months worth of food in it?
You PH the water right?

Looks like start of hunger to me.

Promix from walmart. Probably synthetic food (hope not). Also says has myco's added.
Yes I ph water.
Thxs for looking.

Is it just a few of the leaves, can we see a pic of the whole plant with the new growth please?
Yup, no problem. They definately aren't in PERFECT condition, I know something's up...

GEDC2159.jpg

GEDC2160.jpg

Perhaps I just need a good veg fert?

I would bet very good money that you have a magnesium deficiency coming on strong. Your setup sounds like its organic as opposed to synthetic but I don't know what is in the promix. If you are mostly organic then you need to add some epsom salt and/or dolomite lime and you also need to get some more beneficial microbes in the medium.

You have to be super careful using medium that has "prepackaged" nutes in it as you don't know (unless it is very specifically stated what is in it) if you have fully organic or synthetic elements. Some synthetic elements can work just fine with microbe based growing but not all.

I would bet very good money that you have a magnesium deficiency coming on strong. Your setup sounds like its organic as opposed to synthetic but I don't know what is in the promix. If you are mostly organic then you need to add some epsom salt and/or dolomite lime and you also need to get some more beneficial microbes in the medium.

You have to be super careful using medium that has "prepackaged" nutes in it as you don't know (unless it is very specifically stated what is in it) if you have fully organic or synthetic elements. Some synthetic elements can work just fine with microbe based growing but not all.

I think it's Magnesium too......... One teaspoon of Epsom per 5 gallons of water should help them out........ But not knowing what's in the soil could be fooling us into thinking it is Mag deficiency .

Thanks everyone. I'll pick up some dolomite lime or epsom salts. But wouldnt a good veg fert contain magnesium that can fix my problem too? Or since the promix already has nutrients in it, it would just be best to get the magnesium supplement only?

I've been bubbling this spring water 24/7, is there a chance the bubbling removes some of the elements required? In the past I've always used tap water but this time around I've been using 100% bottled spring water in gallon jugs.

That is a good point about mag in your water, maybe have it tested. I use tap water all the time but have two filters on it. Tell me what promix it is and we can look it up. A light dose of Epson salts wont hurt a thing, good idea. Our native soils are all deplete in mag.. And ours is very high ph so lime isn't needed...but I digress, lets find out what is in your promix.

999999-025849012311.jpg

Whatever is in this!
I've been thinking it probably couldnt hurt to foliar spray with some of the seaweed extract I have + fullvic acid. I've heard it's a great combo.

Well, without looking any further, it has "water saving"...Not good for pot. We need a total dry period and those granules don't allow that to happen correctly. It also "feeds" for 9 months.. I wonder what it is feeding. I vote to not use this soil again. It doesn't say what the ingredients are. If your going to buy soil get fox farm ocean forest.

I had a bad feeling about this stuff 2 weeks in.. What I'm thinking I'll do is transplant into bigger containers but with perhaps as you said FFOF or even just plain promix (I've used plain promix before with 0 issues).

You know your plants when you have "that bad feeling".. We need to listen to that more.. good for your for hearing it.. onward and upward and get them out of that.

G13, what I meant was it didn't tell us what kind of "controlled release fertilizer" they used...

Latest posts

Back