Indoor-Outdoor Desert Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREAT WRK so far ! ,i my self live in the Mojave desert where the temps reach well up in to the 100 an teens or even 100 an twentys,i will try and get my pics up for this season so far asap, i am very limited for time on the computer im also very limited for space this year,also i dnt bring mine inside at all only the strong will prevail right i do have about 12 plants left iv had only one hermie so far an like 2-3 males haha anyway ill keep an eye on this grow again nice wrk an smoke on my friend...

Wow, I'm impressed Dyannas Son! Can't wait to see your pictures--please get them up soon! Haven't met ANYONE else in the desert yet. So do you grow in the ground or in pots?

Catching up on your grow Mojave, Your girls look great! I leave the Murder to the husband after I inspect the plants, looking for as Hick said, their strengths. Then I let him do the deed of getting rid of them. You should, IMO, leave out one of the hartiest that made it thru the flood. See if they can indeed grow outside. Since you are in CA, arent you a Medical MJ patient? It matters not if you live in suburbia if you have the recomendation, you can grow. If you give the outside girl some late afternoon shade cloth over her, she may suprise the heck out of you. I hear Afganistan is pretty hot, and Mexico is pretty hot, and Africa is pretty hot, MJ grows wild in all those places....or used to.
Your plants look so beautiful. Have you looked into the FIM method of topping your plants? I had pretty good luck with that last year on one, four long huge kolas.
Again, looking wonderful, Awesome, and all the adjectives that indicate WOW! what beautiful plants.

Wow, TCBud! Thanks for the fantastic thumbs up on what I thought was my pathetic grow. You've given me a lot of positive feedback and so much encouragement. I'll sure take your advice on saving one of the heartiest plants that made it through the flood.

Yep, I know the Sativas will grow well enough here, but this is a medicinal grow, and though Sativas are such a lovely head buzz, they aren't couchlock enough to tackle vascular pain. The broadleafed Indicas burn up here pretty quickly--and only very thin-leafed plants/trees survive for long.

Unfortunately, no, I'm NOT in CA--oh, how I wish I were. I'm in NV, and it's legal here for MM use, but it's a catch 22, because there are no dispensaries, no place to get clones or seeds legally, and the price for a license is ridiculously high, about $500 with consultation.

Still, the going price for hydro here is $960 oz ($120 eighth), so I'm at the point where the only real option I have is either grow my own, or give up and take the pharmaceuticals that leave me too stupid to communicate. I cannot function on Oxycontin!

So to know my little grow is succeeding just means the world to me, and I'm almost ready to hope that it will give me enough to make it through the winter. I try to be verrrry conservative in using it, just a tiny pinch in a pipe each night before bed, so I don't run out.

Oh, I SO want this grow to make it through to harvest! Thanks again for your lovely words of encouragement, TC.

mojavemama said:
Wow, I'm impressed Dyannas Son! Can't wait to see your pictures--please get them up soon! Haven't met ANYONE else in the desert yet. So do you grow in the ground or in pots?

I do a lil of both i have more luck with plants in the ground so far i think that its because of the sun heating up the containers but i hope to have luck with this one plant i have in a 10 gal container witch i have a green house fem super lemon haze so i hope to have some luck with "i hope" her haha among a few other strains that will be going in the ground...

I hear you, Dyannas Son! The plants in pots here are always at risk. I sure play tons of time games trying to keep those pretty little roots cool. But I don't really have the option of growing in the ground here. Suburbia.

I'll be looking for some updates on your Super Lemon Haze girl(I hope it's a girl for you too)! Sounds absolutely delicious. I'm so stoked to know you're able to grow in the desert, and the EASTERN Mojave, at that! Color me IMPRESSED.

Nothing to laugh at in your grow room... looks really good... keep up the good work...

Mojavemama,did I hear you right your lookin to harvest some indica,in the desert?I found that BUBBA does really well outdoors in the dry,windy heat.Our temps. are similar so I bet she'll do good there also....hmmmmm....

Yes, Im in love with my light! But Im still dreading the possibility of ...gulp...facing the same sitch you're in--TOO MANY girls! If I do, I swear, Im gonna get them under that light somehow. Wouoldnt it be cool if HEY I JUST HAD A BRAIN SPASM!! Why not have TWO "shifts" of 12/12???
Put half the girls under the lights for the day shift, then move them and put the other girls under the lights for the night shift?? Double your crop (mine, too, if it comes to it) in the same number of weeks...without sacrificing ANY of those sweet gals!

Lass

mojavemama said:
I hear you, Dyannas Son! The plants in pots here are always at risk. I sure play tons of time games trying to keep those pretty little roots cool. But I don't really have the option of growing in the ground here. Suburbia.

I'll be looking for some updates on your Super Lemon Haze girl(I hope it's a girl for you too)! Sounds absolutely delicious. I'm so stoked to know you're able to grow in the desert, and the EASTERN Mojave, at that! Color me IMPRESSED.

thanks i will try and have some pics up asap im having trouble learning how to re-size them ive only ever posted 2-3 pics on here and it was with my old camera and i didnt have to re-size to post em but anyway i hope to figure it out im probaly just too stoned off that utopia haze right now haha:D ,also im right in the middel of Suburbia my neighbors are pretty cool my only wory is the dreaded chopper that usally comes around once a day but ill take my chance at it again for the third time in the same spots same neighbors ..

Dyannas_Son, if you need some help resizing your pictures, just give me a shout on a PM and I'll send you my email addy, and I'll do them for you and shoot them back to you. I can do this anytime you need pictures resized. Takes me just a moment, and it's no trouble at all. I'd love to be able to help you get your pictures up here!

As for the chopper, how about just putting up a simple shade cloth for those times the chopper comes by each day?

Lass, you're brilliant. But problem is, I am just not sure I'll have enough light to do them all, even if I do them in shifts. It might be more work than I can possibly handle, but you know, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I'll give it a shot! At least I have found the 4 mother plants that are super hardy, and seem to be able to handle all the stress I can throw at them. So it's on to clones, next. Like, in the next couple of days!

Thanks, Dirty South! Appreciate the tip on Bubbas---I'll be sending in a seedbank order in the next month or so, so I really appreciate your timely advice. So, thank you, thank you, thank you--until you're better paid!

Oh, Boy, cloning day! My first cloning experience--what fun! Took two clones from each of 5 supermoms. Though the mothers are already in flowering, it's only day 8, and I know it will take a bit longer to grow roots, but this way I know which ones are the strongest, most resiliant, and growing heads like crazy.

I can't believe how many flowering heads are on each plant. Some of them have 11-13, some 6-8. Great to see the results of LST and supercropping giving me so many multiple heads.

Herrrrrr's my first cloned babes, all nestled in their cloning greenhouse.

Clones.jpg

mojavemama, I just read your whole thread and I have one thing to say; If we had an award here for anyone successfully growing in the worst conditions possible, you deserve it!! Really nice work. It only goes to show that a green thumb can do it's magic anywhere, period. You are going to be fine, I just know it. btw, what is your weather like in winter? Here's some cool green mojo for you.

Wow, 420benny, you really made my day! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Gosh, it's so exciting seeing all the flowers on every node of every stem. I've never seen any before, so this is just too exciting for words. I'm like a kid at Christmas.

Winter here is short, but can be cold and always blustery and windy. We do have a few days with a brushing of snow, and many days it does dip below freezing, so I have to play games with all my plants, bushes, vines, and cacti to keep them alive in the cold weather. This past year I built a little greenhouse for all of them, and most of them weathered the weather very well. I converted that greenhouse to a shadehouse for summer, so it's been doing double duty.

Thanks for the green mojo!

I know these pictures of my beginning flowers won't impress anyone, but I just want to have a record of seeing the flowers on top for the first time. They may be small, but they absolutely THRILL me!

Headstart3_052709.jpg

Headstart2_052709.jpg

headstart052709.jpg

Howdy MM! Looking good! It is a good thing to take pics along the way. Just wait a month from now and compare those buds to these shots. The reason why I asked about your winter is because I was wondering if you could cheat a season and get started in say January for putting outdoors in late Feb? with protection or on rolling stands so you can bring them back in. Just trying to find a way for you to grow without cooking. TTFN

Hey, 420Benny! Okay, i see what the winter question was about now. You know, that's just what I did. I started the seeds in January, and began putting them out as soon as they had some roots. They were a long time in veg state, though. And I couldn't put them out every day--I was dependent upon a warm enough day, so they probably only got about 3-4 hours of sun every other day in February. I'm sure a lot of the slowness was my fault, though--I should have gotten them in bigger pots sooner. But, that's part of the learning curve, right? Thanks for helping brainstorm! This is a fun experiment.

Latest posts

Back