B.H.O. Made Simple

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AluminumMonster

Duke of Errl:)
Reaction score
I thought a few here might benefit from a simple B.H.O. tutorial. This is just one method, there are many others to chose from if you so desire.

Note: Safety always comes first. Make sure you don't have any heat or static sources. Make sure your stove doesn't have a pilot light. Always ventilate the room you are blasting/purging in. Do not let butane build up indoors. Do not smoke while making B.H.O.

Things you need:
Quality butane-I use Lucienne or Special Blue 9x
Extractor-I use glass
Large skillet
8x9 pyrex dish
Window scraper
Fine micron screen- I use the 73ui Bubble Bag
2 hair ties or hose clamp
Whipping tool-I use glass
Good cannabis and/or trim, for this batch i used Liquid_kids Bubba Chunk, all buds
Coffee grinder
Rubber gloves

picture.php

The amount of cannabis required will vary depending on the size of your extractor. Mine holds a little over 1oz. Take your cannabis and grind it up with the coffee grinder until it is all the same consistency.

picture.php

Fill your extractor with the ground cannabis using a flat cylindrical object to compress the cannabis. I use the small flashlight shown in the first picture.

picture.php

Once the extractor is completely full, I mean you can't even compress the cannabis with your finger, yeah that full, take your screen or bubble bag and wrap it over the top of the extractor. Then use the hair ties to hold the screen in place. You are now ready to blast the butane through the extractor and in to the pyrex dish.

picture.php

Once done you should have something like this...

picture.php

Please be sure to do the blasting and purging IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!
ALSO CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE A GAS PILOT LIGHT ON YOUR STOVE!Now you need to add hot tap water to your skillet, then place the pyrex dish in to the warm water.The butane will start to boil quite rapidly...

picture.php

After a few minutes the liquid butane will evaporate...

picture.php

The goo that you now have still has butane in it so you will need to repeat the warm water baths. The batch pictured required 5 water swaps. Some may require more.... As the butane purges the oil will slowly change consistency...

picture.php

Once all the butane is purged you should have a fairly solid product at room temp. If it is glossy looking at all you must continue to purge. I use a glass whipping tool to constantly agitate the oil while doing the warm water bath. This will help give you a waxy type oil.

picture.php

If you don't whip it your product will come out more like shatter. I prefer the waxes though.

picture.php

This batch produced 6 grams of quality B.H.O.

picture.php

picture.php

Once you have completed these steps all that is left is for you to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Peace and Headies, A.M.

Nice and Blonde, your end result looks awesome.

AM,
Looks easy enough. Do not like messing with the butane though, so I`ll pass on it. Being a retired firefighter, I can see too many bad things happening, IMO.

AM,
Looks easy enough. Do not like messing with the butane though, so I`ll pass on it. Being a retired firefighter, I can see too many bad things happening, IMO.

I can understand your point of view Yooper. I'm sure you have seen some crazy things over the years being a Fire Fighter. However, I feel that butane is no more dangerous than gasoline or carb cleaner. You just need to know how to use volatile liquids safely.

If anyone has any questions, comments or even criticism, please feel free to post them here. I would much rather answer all of your questions than have you injure yourself or someone else.

A.M.

my first batch of bho was still full of butane...you could taste it. I winterize my bho now and then vacuum purge it. At this point, I can just take it to someone I met who has a professional setup. In this part of Cali, 7 years hard time for doing this without the appropriate license. I met the guy who is doing the bho for a bunch of dispensaries, and his fee to do my trim is low enough, I will never do it myself again. My son went thru a oz of bho the first month we were here. I have a large enough stash, it would take 6 months to smoke it all.

my first batch of bho was still full of butane...you could taste it. I winterize my bho now and then vacuum purge it. At this point, I can just take it to someone I met who has a professional setup. In this part of Cali, 7 years hard time for doing this without the appropriate license. I met the guy who is doing the bho for a bunch of dispensaries, and his fee to do my trim is low enough, I will never do it myself again. My son went thru a oz of bho the first month we were here. I have a large enough stash, it would take 6 months to smoke it all.

Here in the Midwest I don't have the luxury of being able to bring my stuff to someone to make it for me, I wish I did. That's why I have been perfecting this method for the past couple years.

The Mrs. and I go through about a quarter ounce every two weeks as long as we have edibles in the house as well. We have pretty much stopped smoking flowers at this point. I also blast for one of my customers. He comes over every other week to have 2 ounces blasted. He keeps telling me he can't find oil like mine around here. He has brought over some other stuff before that was goop and burned like hell when you inhaled.... I told him to stop bringing that garbage to my house lol.

If it doesn't crumble or chip I don't want it.;)

there are many different forms of bho, and everyone has their fav. some will only smoke shatter and others wax. I would describe mine as amber. I honestly prefer flowers.

Shatter kind of annoys me lol. I feel like I am losing more than I am dabbing because of all the little chips that go flying when you break off a piece. Amber oil sounds nice though. Got a pic?

I keep it frozen as much as possible. Much easier to handle.

Nice! I use those same containers too. They work great for waxes.

Thanks for posting the pics.;)

I sent my son the doctor an ounce for his birthday. He can't get good bho. The stuff he told me about was all runny black tar. Most likely a bad iso run.

AM again , thanx for looking out. Nice simply broken down procedure

Was wondering does the size of the screening material matter to final product?

Was wondering does the size of the screening material matter to final product?

Well, if you go with a screen with too big of holes plant matter will get through. If you go with a screen that is too fine you run the risk of over pressurizing the extractor tube and getting a back draft so to speak (when the butane comes out of the top hole instead of the bottom hole). I used to use the 45ui Bubble Bag but I was having back draft issues. I now use the 73ui bag. I also tried the 90ui bag and didn't have any issues per se, however I wanted to try and keep the butane in the extractor for more than a split second, thus the switch to the finer screen.

Well, if you go with a screen with too big of holes plant matter will get through. If you go with a screen that is too fine you run the risk of over pressurizing the extractor tube and getting a back draft so to speak (when the butane comes out of the top hole instead of the bottom hole). I used to use the 45ui Bubble Bag but I was having back draft issues. I now use the 73ui bag. I also tried the 90ui bag and didn't have any issues per se, however I wanted to try and keep the butane in the extractor for more than a split, thus the switch to the finer screen.

Gotchya

Latest posts

Back