30 day old plant problem. Yellowing, Wilting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All! Don't mean to double post, if this was double posted. I didn't see the sick plants and problems thread. So i'm posting this here now.

New to growing and new to the forum. Want to say hi to everyone first of all.

For some background:

I set up my first grow tent. It's small, 2x2x4. Figured i'd start out with it and see how it goes. I put in mars hydro 300w LED light, a 6" fan, and a 4" exhaust fan at the top.

Temperatures seem to be around the mid 80's. I try to leave the vents open during the day to keep the temp. down a bit.

So down to the nitty gritty. She's about 30 days old. After a lot of research; i decided to top the plent on the 3rd sprout. Everything was going well until this happened. The cotyledons started to fall off. I know this is typical. I started to see some yellowing in the 2nd set of 3 leaves. A few days later, they started to brown and crisp up.

Some of the new growth looks like it has a bite taken out of it. I can assure you there's no bugs in my tent. Or mice. The new growth also has some limp to it. Overwatering perhaps?

You can also see a bit of a limp in the leaves which is why I think it's overwatering.

The yellowing seems to be making it's way up from the bottom of the plant, but it skipped the first set of leaves. So i'm very confused here.

I gave her, her first bit of fert yesterday, Alaskan Fish. So i'll watch the next few days and see how she is. I have some pictures below.

I tried to water every 3-4 days; typically when the top is totally dried out. I've never seen water flow through the hole on the bottom. I know I re-potted a bit too quickly in an over sized pot; a bit seems to think it may be an issue as well?

Any help would be great.

Thank you!

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6177.jpg

Here's another image 24 hours later. Any help would be great.

By the way, the light is about 20" above the canopy of the plant. I think the hole may be from misting the plant and burned by the light. But only a guess.

Thanks again in advance.

View attachment IMG_6203.jpg

Can't see any pics on the first post...I can see the last pic but do you have any pics of her outside of the tent? The LED's make it hard to see the actual coloring of the plant

First off, just looking at the pic I can see your watering method is wrong and needs to be corrected.

When you water, saturate the entire medium, not just a bit next to the plant. Dry spots in the medium is not good. Water till you get a decent amount of run off and let the plant sit in the runoff for 15 min or so then empty the saucer or whatever you're using for a drip tray.

No little 'sips' between waterings! Totally saturate the medium, allow to dry out, then saturate again. Repeat as needed.

Overwatering is not the amount of water used, but watering too frequently and keeping the soil from drying out. The dry part of the wet/dry cycle.

Just getting your watering habits corrected should take care of most, if not all, of your current problems.

DD

One of the best explanations i've read. Thank you! I've always been very worried about how much to water; what's too little, too much. No tutorial i've read online really spelled it out like you did.

Thank you DD!

Latest posts

Back