What's in your rooting hormone? The Difference Between Brands.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I was reading the label on the different rooting hormones I have and I noticed the 2 contain completely different ingredients.

The Clonex gel that I just bought at the store has Indole-3-butyric acid as the only ingredient. I did a Google of it and it seems to be the most popular ingredient in most rooting compounds.

However, the Dragon Rootone brand (powder) that I have used for years contains 1-Naphthaleneacetamide and Thira.

The former is the hormone. The later is a fungicide. Certainly not a bad thing when cloning. Especially in a bubble cloner.

The hormone seems to be more for commercial use and does not seem to be found in any retail/consumer rooting compound except Rootone.

I have always had great success with Rootone. Same jar is 20 years old and still half full. LMAO

Just FYI. Wondering if everyone is using Indole-3-butyric acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indole-3-butyric_acid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Naphthaleneacetic_acid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiram

Often when the season is right ...I do clones the old way in jiffy pucks with a dome etc, and by far prefer to use common household Honey, as all that 'junk' comes free, but in a pinch willow tree tea is just as good if not better than all that commercial rubbish alone with all their 'E's and preservatives ...lol
Don't forget in most cases adding hormones to a bubbler ..means the nutes will compost long b4 the clones get the benefit
note: willow tree tea is good for headaches in humans too

I use Clonex and like it very much.

I need to try the willow water.

i use stim-root (#1)
-think it's just quartz and talc

tried roots gel, but went back to this old school one.
:)

Stim-Root#1 here also.

Stim Root is Indole-3-butyric acid just like Clonex.

Almost all the rooters are Indole-3-butyric acid. The only one I found that's not is the Rootone.

Stim Root is Indole-3-butyric acid just like Clonex.

Almost all the rooters are Indole-3-butyric acid. The only one I found that's not is the Rootone.

lol was just coming in to correct that.
bottle says 0.1% IBA

my bad :eek:

Used Clonex for a while , great stuff. liquid easy to use stir it up well before using good success rate Also ... People using it should not dip from the original container, as you could pass on viruses. and disease much easier.... So keep that in mind. And its also way over priced.
Used Honey gazillion times hahaha, works ok for when your in a pinch
And my choice is Also Stim root #1 and #2 cheap less then 2.00 bucks sold everywhere being a powder there is a little more work i guess ,,,, After doing all cuts dipping stem in ph'd water prior to placing in powder as well like to place powder into smaller plate a but IMO the best out there

Latest posts

Back