"Wicking"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

allgrownup

Has any of the soil growers experimented with wicking?????

I'd like to know your results. For someone whom leaves frequently on business i have come to luv my indoor hydro. i can leave it for weeks returning to find healthy plants 3 times the size i left them in veg. I love that part! but, this year i lost a few outdoors and severely damaged some others while i had to leave them outside while i was away. One heatwave and no water....Kapuuuuuut

Anyway....i recently just stumbled across "wicking" It was used with flowers but i don't see why it wouldn't work with WEED???

Use a large clay pot. What you do is prepare your soil mix; 1 part peatmoss 1 part perlite, 1 part vermiculite. tad of dolomite??? Than you add the wick (Nylon Rope) it should be long enough to spiral in the pot and hang out the bottom a couple feet. The wick needs to be soaked prior to adding to the pot. Add soil then wick, soil then wick, in layers spiralling around the pot as you go. you should not be tie'n the plant up! After your done you place the plant above a container of water so the wick is hangin down in the bottom container.

Theoretically the plant will absorb only the amount of water it needs through the wick. This would eliminate over watering and in my case, not need my presence for an extended period of time. You would continue to feed the plant through the bottom "resivoir".

Next year for outdoors i'm going to try this. Is anyone around here using this method or tried it?

Wicking works. Ed Rosenthaul had that method in is "closet cultivator" book.
The Wick systems I seen used soilless medium and hydro nutrients in the bottom tray.
The complaints I read was the wick would not give it as fast as the plant would take it so not letting the plant reach its full potential. but it does work.

I thought it was a simple form of Hydroponics, Mutt. I read this earlier and didn't post because I only heard about the hydro form. in fact here's a free instruction on how to make one, www.simplyhydro.com/free3.htm
I think this is right anyway, well it's no doubt helpful to those who might be interested in constructing a simple Hydro system. I sure hope this may be helpful to those who are curious...:D

Latest posts

Back