Bonzai!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt

Just a Dawg
Reaction score
Just a pic of a BM mom. sorta neglected her pruning for a bit.
She gets top dressed with compost and worm castings from my own bin when needed and a shot of big bloom or grow big if needs an extra kick which isn't often. Gave her a good root washing about a month ago and new compost/perlite to be happy again.
When i get the room gonna flower her in the bonzai pot :hubba: can grow any strain small i say :rolleyes: 1" soil depth under t5 6500k tubes and some cfls @ 2800k. will do a root trim and post it up before flower ;)
next plant is a Juicy Fruit x C99 I'm revegging. major PITA to grow small yield but excellent smoke. so saved her for a cross project see if i can make her a lil more tame for myself.
Planning on crossing a K2 male with a K2 female, C99, and BM. Find some phenos in there and back it to the k2 male for SnG see what happens

the beer can is 22 oz.

Picture 026.jpg

Picture 025.jpg

Picture 022.jpg

I pulled up a stump to watch. I have been reading up on doing a couple of bonzai mothers. Thank you for your great post on bonzai growing :peace:

Hi Mutt,
Great post, I am trying to get some banzai mothers going myself as my last few got way too unmanageable and large. Hope you don't mind me dropping in with a Q but I was curious what size pots you keep the banzai moms in, and how much of an impact this has on being able to keep them very small?
It's a technique I am not familiar with so I am trying to figure out how to keep them that size. Is it more of the way they are pruned and grown or does the container have an impact? I assume it does but I am curious how much. I keep having to cycle my mothers in and out with their clones and it would be much easier just to be able to keep a mother without cycling her.
Gracias

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
Hi Mutt,
Great post, I am trying to get some banzai mothers going myself as my last few got way too unmanageable and large. Hope you don't mind me dropping in with a Q but I was curious what size pots you keep the banzai moms in, and how much of an impact this has on being able to keep them very small?
It's a technique I am not familiar with so I am trying to figure out how to keep them that size. Is it more of the way they are pruned and grown or does the container have an impact? I assume it does but I am curious how much.
Gracias

Shallow pots is a must. I work from clones never the seed start. I take a few cuttings shove the seed into flower. much easier to bonzai a clone IMO.
This particular mother is in a 1"d x 5" square bonazi pot. no drainage holes either but i use 100% organic medium and only get minimal salt buildup. Bout time it gets salted up its time to trim roots and rinse em off replace medium. But would highly recommend you use one with drainage holes.
mine is high stress trained, topping, taking numerous cuttings, breaking main stems. you can tie em too (LST)

Just google Bonsai. tons of how to's some on MJ you wouldn't expect to see a guide. If peeps can bonzai trees why not a weed. :p

second pic is when i put the freshly rooted clone in. 1st pick is after some pruning and cuttings taken.
Hope this helps. I could have tied em down to get even more clone sites, but i was getting plenty from her for my size grow.

Picture or Video 055.JPG

Picture or Video 013.JPG

didnt mean to put you or your baby down just suprised me to see so little growth
sorry ;)

ShecallshimThor said:
didnt mean to put you or your baby down just suprised me to see so little growth
sorry ;)

No sweat. :)
This particular Hybrid JFxC99 was very difficult to keep happy from the start. The hardest from a bunch i got from a breeder friend in BC. But also turned out to be one of the best out of the group. The other one from same guy...i just couldn't flat handle the smoke way to intense for me. Juicy Fruit x Champagne. I can't describe how uppy it was even for a sat dom. I let that strain go. It almost felt like it was laced. but i grew it and knew i didn't lace it :p, had reports of similar from others that grew it. most kept it and loved it, but they like there speed weed. :p This JFxC99 is more tame but still speedy. Excellent day smoke. So def. worth the trouble for me ;)
I never worry about yield or ease, effect and taste are everything to me ;)

Well here's a few shots of part of my grow. Got a Cindy in there, but have a few bonsai'd C99 clones in flower...all those in pic 1 are C99. :D Got some other stuff goin small as well. I like seeing how small i can keep em LOL gives me something to do. :D
I shoved the c99 mom for seeding in couple weeks early to get a jump start on the K2 as it is a much much shorter lifecycle than the C99.
The Blue Mystic mom in a 1" deep pot is patiently awaiting for one of my K2's in veg to be a male. As well as the C99 in the 3 gallon pot, the JFxC99 reveg, and A K2 Female. Gonna make a couple of beans. :rolleyes:
Gonna be Bx'n the F1 hybrid K2xC99 to the K2 male gonna try cubing it to make my own strain. "Cindy's Peaks" :hubba: So got a looong summer ahead of me.
Also have a Ducksfoot99x (ak-47/bubble berry) and a samba (stabalized K2xAfghan Orange) in veg as well. LOL I like variety ;)

Picture or Video 001.JPG

Picture or Video 017.JPG

Picture or Video 016.JPG

i dug the whole mini look to ya mothers mutt and got to readin up on it all a bit an decided to do one myself for now. an if it pulls thru i'm gona do the other 3 im revegin the same.
only i dot know if im that sure bout divin into a 1inch deep pot yet tho for me.
im just startin to toy around wit them as tehy startin to show new growth now finally from the chop couple weeks ago.
the thing im still in question about is after a root trim/thinning and repot how much new root growth is expected an how quickly.
im assuming as soon as it gets bound in its current pot all i got do is pull her out trim her wig an slap her back in wit new soil in the same pot again...? in lamens sense anyway, no?
there pix in teh revegg link in my sig.
thanks for your subliminal inspiration on the bonzai thing :)
laterz

im assuming as soon as it gets bound in its current pot all i got do is pull her out trim her wig an slap her back in wit new soil in the same pot again...? in lamens sense anyway, no?
well it will always be sorta bound. its when it gets severely bound you need to "trim its wig" as you said. ussually you can tell when its time. not much new growth yellowing no matter what ya do....tells ya about time to trim em back.
Good luck. its really not that hard ;)

ya i'm seein alot of the it seems harder than it looks wit growing. an when i actually do it i wonder y i stressed so much.

Mutt, How long can you grow a bonzai without trimming the roots in a 3.5 inch square by 1.5 inches deep?

Great looking plants :peace:

lol i was just gonna ask him bout the same thing?

Latest posts

Back