SOG, SCROG, single cola, topped, fimmed, LST... lets save some time!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemmongrass

Basil Farmer.
Reaction score
Ok so There are a million ways to grow indoors, and everyone has a reason the way they use produces more. but which produces more, the most?

I am curing my 3rd rop, flowering my 4th and 5th, revegging my 6th and sprouting the seeds that will be my mothers when it is time to get serious.

So if you too had nearly 50 clones+flowering females under 16" tall, a 1000w hps, 7'x7' to work in, and bales promix MZ soil what would you do?

I have fimmed with good yields, but i dont know if i like the small buds and amount of popcorns. so should i fim and scrog to get even buds?

Or should i go the single cola SOG route and keep the plants short to fit them under the one HPS. right now i am doing this with most of my plants.

But i also have 2 sativas that i topped, removed all veg under the top, then fimmed the bud sites on the remaining upper growth. this has produced an almost SCROG looking plant with a flat canopy that looks more like one horizontal rectangle bud than anything else. if i did this i could get scrog like buds out of a sog....

Then again my last crop was 9 monster fimmed plants in 5gal pots. but they vegged for 4months only to herm on me. bagseed tho, but the risk of failure is always there.

So i have about $500 max to work with before my satori mothers are able to produce enough clones. I have to get a carbon scrubber and a blower fan for it with how hot the 1kw hps is. I also need some paint and plywood or mylar because my plastic cube wastes ALOT of light. So i have about 100 bones to settle on a DIY technique of growing, help me decide.

It all sounds good to me, But here is something to chime in. If you do a 50 plant sog you have to water 50 plants, THAT SUX. Its bad enough taking care of twelve and harvesting twelve. Theres nothing wrong with popcorn buds. They dry faster easier to pick out to smoke. If there the same potency and the yeild is nothing to complain about thats fine. Even if you get big cola's its not like you smoke the whole thing. You will chop it up in the end anyway. I would just top and tie down however many you can fit. This sounds like a line from a quinton tarentino movie but "I love tying down them girls, There's a pleasure in looking back seeing them being forced to do what I tell them. Its actually a fun art. But maybe if you tried all of them but 1 then do the one you havnt tried.

Interesting dilemma. Popcorn buds tend to have no weight. I hate wasting trimming time on junior buds.

420benny said:
Interesting dilemma. Popcorn buds tend to have no weight. I hate wasting trimming time on junior buds.

It's a funny thing. Last week my friend proudly showed mer some "primo" he had paid 400 bucks for--a small Mason jar containing an oz of popcorn buds. "Just LOOK at those!", he said. Well, I was looking. All I kept thinking was..."Man...there are folks in MP who wouldnt even bother with those."

It is a dilema. I dont have an answer, but I do have a question: What containers do you use to get THAT many plants under one light?

I have a 600 HPS and currently have six six week old plants in their 10th day of flowering. I couldnt fit one more in there for love or bucks.

But my Big Fantasy is, once I know gender and can get some clones, to have 20 single cola hempys in 2 liter soda bottles. My point is, to get as many plants as you have all under the one light...what in the world kinda containers are you using?

Somebody in here said he had seen a SOG done in 32 oz cups. Is that what you use? Im interested because I need to know as much as possible about smaller container growing.

BTW, if anybody is curious, the 1 liter soda-hempys are working, so far. I have eight of them going on the deck as an experiment...they seem to be doing fine, but they're only three weeks old, so much remains to be seen.

One more question...Ive never seen a SCROG, just pictures. What kind of buds do they produce?

Thanks and good luck on your grow

Lass

imo, ebb and flo SOG style would be most optimal when it comes to yield. u might be able to build your own setup for less then $100, but the pump would definately throw you over your limit. that being said, id still do a SOG, but as someone mentioned above, ALOT of watering.

Yea i normaly move each plant one by one when watering them. i like to look them over while it soaks down, then move to the next. it is kind of zen and relaxing for me. but im getting a job here soon so that may become less fun.

I would build an ebb/flow but it seems to do it right i would been about 300. i dont mind spending more than 100 but it cant get too high. trays are expensive, and i haven't seen plans for a good solid non ghetto tray that wont leak or get funky yet.

I am using 6'x10' or so round pots for most. the big pots i just keep around the small ones and they get pretty good light. i have to turn them every two days or so but it works okay in the end. this last grow i had to cut about 3 weeks early for most, 5 or 6 on some hardcore sativa spears. i never transplanted them outa the small pots and still got 12-26 grams per plant.

they were getting sick from being root bound(just a little sick, no death) when i transplanted half of them only to find out in the process i missed several plants with herm nanners deep inside the buds. some had mature hard seeds, others were getting the tips of their naughty bits curling down... from pollen. one plant is so seeded with immature non packable seeds it tastes like a big seed hit all the time. what it looks like happened, i had one bagseed LR nugget or something(herm seed tho.. 8/10 of the dank bagseeds i planted were female. i should have known then). it was a very tiny 9" Popsicle shaped bud that sat in front of the fan. it was turning amber very unevenly and was in its 9th week or so of flower before i killed it. i have seen a reputable member here say they had a LR2 look like it had brown sugar frosting if he let them flower for a realty long time. mine had this all over it and it sure wasn't mold. just sections of clumpy trics that looked like light brown sugar.

well i think it threw a nana cause of how late into flower it was. it was tiny so it was closest to the fan... this fits the timeline for the development of the immature seeds thru my crop, but not the mature ones. but come to think of it, i did find 1 nanner in a bud of a plant which had been harvested twice. 3 weeks before this i had cut the top cola off cause it was 40% and the lower nuglettes needed more light. so there are my old seeds.

so i would have moved them all to 3gal pots and put my clone crop off to the side a bit or stager them between the other plants. i wonder what a 2gal pot looks like? i wish squares wernt $4 each..

Keep in mind at this moment i do ALL my growing here. i run 12/12 and move my clones and seedlings at night under a pretty weak floro in a diff room. so i dont plan on doing a 50plant sog really. just like 12-20 flowering then my vegging rooted clones that are on 12/12. and some spare project plants. so its about 50 plants but they dont all need awesome light.

My homemade trays are cheap. Go to your local restaurant supply and pick up some 8 inch tall black bus tubs. Your local hydro shop will have the necessary fittings. All you need is a drill with the proper coring bit for the bulkhead fittings. Silcone them well with 100% pure silicone. Buy the quality sealant and it will serve you well. I think the tubs are 8-9 bucks each and they work great.

Tamato/TaMAHto......its all good. Space, strain, budget, desired high..........soo many variables. Thank god for a site like this to help everyone find what would work best for them.

Latest posts

Back