bad dreams, 3 weeks clean

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laralovessmoke

Reaction score
Three weeks clean, having trouble sleeping and disturbing dreams. Can't smoke any time soon. Any advice for dealing with these problems? Is it all in my head?

Don't dwell on not being about to smoke, take a looong walk or workout before heading to bed. Yes it's all in your head but our everyminute is in our head. Your brains just readjusting it's self to the absents of chemicals(THC and CBN) in it.

How much did you smoke on average?

i had the same for a while. try to keep up on good food and lot of liquids. the bad dreams will pass and grow to be entertaining.

just your brain adapting to the lack of THC and spitting out anxiety because it wants it back (smile). but it WILL pass...

Since marijuana is not chemically or physically addictive I would say, that's sounds incorrect IMO. It doesn't present withdrawal symptoms to my knowledge.

A lot of what happens while you're asleep is dependant on the few hours before you lose consciousness. The slightest feeling in your subconscious can translate into a myriad of visual representation. Even eating or drinking things too close to sleep is cause for less than ideal rest.

If you eat a lot of sugar, or at least a lot near the time you're going to sleep, you don't have the MJ to physically counteract the effects of the sugar. Same goes for drinking soda in large quantities.

ALSO If you partake in energy drinks on a regular basis, and they contain taurine, cut back on your consumption of that as well. Your body naturally produces it in small quantities so when you drink things like rockstar consistently your body slows production and then if you stop drinking them you'll feel as though someone just beat you half to death with a bag of oranges.

psychological or physical... I think nightmares are a pretty common withdrawal symptom.. I had some pretty horrendous nightmares going 'cold turkey'...;).

Hick said:
psychological or physical... I think nightmares are a pretty common withdrawal symptom.. I had some pretty horrendous nightmares going 'cold turkey'...;).

I just don't think it's a result of the lack of continued input of THC.

Unless of course your bad dream is that you're about to be killed if your magic bag of weed that is just out of reach can't save you...

The content and context of your dream has a large part to play in the cause behind the negative aspects of the dream.

Analysing dreams isn't too difficult, just search for a dream encyclopaedia, it will outline what certain aspects of your dream can represent to the subconscious mind, and how situations that play out within a dream can string together to form a pattern of thought through disconnected visuals.

Thanks for all the advice!

OG, I was a daily smoker for twenty years.

I am mourning my favorite thing and just need to get over it!

laralovessmoke said:
Three weeks clean, having trouble sleeping and disturbing dreams. Can't smoke any time soon. Any advice for dealing with these problems? Is it all in my head?

Ifin yur married be havin yur better half slap yual in the side the head when yual start dreamin wakes yual up quick dreams gone. Make sure yual givem a stick to use like my wife does she be slappin me once full of sleep drowel she wasnt impressed of the splatter marks on the wall in the morn. Stick works great ends bad dreams good too. Luck with yur journy friend hopin yual gets through.

BWD

PartyBro420 said:
Since marijuana is not chemically or physically addictive I would say, that's sounds incorrect IMO. It doesn't present withdrawal symptoms to my knowledge.

A lot of what happens while you're asleep is dependant on the few hours before you lose consciousness. The slightest feeling in your subconscious can translate into a myriad of visual representation. Even eating or drinking things too close to sleep is cause for less than ideal rest.

If you eat a lot of sugar, or at least a lot near the time you're going to sleep, you don't have the MJ to physically counteract the effects of the sugar. Same goes for drinking soda in large quantities.

ALSO If you partake in energy drinks on a regular basis, and they contain taurine, cut back on your consumption of that as well. Your body naturally produces it in small quantities so when you drink things like rockstar consistently your body slows production and then if you stop drinking them you'll feel as though someone just beat you half to death with a bag of oranges.

I agree with PartyBro; I am fairly certain that these symptoms are not the direct effect of THC (or lack there of). Smoking cannabis does not alter dopamine levels (this is a hormone that is related to the brains reward system), even heavy usage. Chemicals that alter the brains dopamine levels are the ones that manifest the true dependence- i.e. Heroin, Cocaine, and Nicotine (just name a few common ones). Most (of course not all) people should be able to pick-up and let-go of cannabis use with minimal problems (withdraw).
:icon_smile:

Hope this helps.

im on a break myself for about a month now. i did read that sleeping stoned can reduce/hinder REM sleep. if thats true maybe youre just having more dreams overall since you stopped and with that more nightmares.
i had one a while ago where i had been raped so youre not alone:hubba:
i wouldnt think its any kind of withdrawal though just maybe the change in lifestyle/thoughts during that day, or just coincidence.

also i very rarely remember dreams like maybe 3 a month but i always remember the bad/funny ones.. im sure i forget the nicer ones most of the time.

The dreams that you experience during marijuana withdrawal can be very intense and vivid, and many people (myself included) have had crazy end-of-the-world nightmares. When you smoke a lot of pot, you tend not to dream as much, or at least not remember them, so getting used to dreaming and interpreting dreams takes some time. I have found that my dreams stabilize after about a month, and the bad dreams subside within the first couple weeks.
Quote from Marijuana-addict.com

Trippy dreams are extremely common when quitting heavy mj use, in all that I've read. I experience them as well, every year when I postpone my smoking for a few weeks.

i disagree with pb 420. ive smoked for 25 yrs and have quit a few tmes & yes i think the dreams are from the lack of thc in the system! after a few weeks they dreams will go away. if you smoke long enough pot is addictive, maybe not like blow but it is always in the back of your head = addicted!

Bad dreams when stopping a long term habit are pretty common if not guarenteed, but i would enjoy a good nightmare.

man i remember having the same problems when i got locked up going from smoking two three times a day to nothing.this was over 4 years ago and i can still remember a lot of thos dreams very clearly and they were very vivid dreams too cant really recall any other time in my life were i had dreams like that for weeks on end.and after smoking again i can only recall very few dreams.except for winning the lottery in my dream a couple nights ago lol man was i pissed when i woke up from that dream.i remember reading that the cannabis blocks receptors in the brain that has to do with the dream state or somthing like that well thats my two cents

I once told a psychiatrist about my bad dreams and they commited him to the funny farm the next day.

Last time I went on the wagon was for 10 months in 2006-07... I had super vivid dreams and actually enjoyed them a lot. Weed must put quite a damper on our brain during sleep cuz I never saw such crazy stuff but I enjoyed it... They never were really 'nightmares.' In time I found I slept even better off weed than I do when I'm smoking but of course I went right back to being a daily smoker...:)

:bong:

Latest posts

Back