Mold on buds, waste it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_2

Reaction score
Hey guys

I was kinda sad when I under my curing process realised that some of the buds had turned a little moldy. But it wasn't on every bud, and it was very little. So what should I do? Throw away every jar, with all the buds, or just throw away the ones with mold on it. Hope not everything is contaminated because a few of them had a little mold :/
Thanks!

Here's what I know about mold, and how it spreads on fresh produce. It's basically only a matter of time before everything molds. Spores travel quickly and and one rotten tomato can turn an entire case to mush within a week. However if you get that one rotten tomato in the trash quickly, give the rest a rinse and KEEP THEM DRY you should be ok. Can you wash buds? I have no idea honestly. I think I read that you actually can rinse them but I don't know the method off hand so don't quote me on that.

Mold needs 3 things to grow. Water, the right temp and food. Cut one of these out and your mold issues will cease. Water is typically the easiest to control, so again KEEP THEM DRY! Throw out buds with mold, remove any potentially containated buds, move them into seperate jars and watch them closely. It may even be a good idea to spread them out on a screen or even a table and let the outside dry to just crispy, then re-jar them. Spores can't live without water, remember. Good luck!

If its moldy I would not smoke it myself...and sure as crap wouldnt give it to any patients or friends...

toss any buds w visible mold or smells like mold.

:(

search on youtube for Cleaning PM off Bud... should find a video by a dude named jorge, he uses a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water, gives it a good bath, then a good rinse and quick drys by hanging and having a fan blow on them, once its dry jar up and cure as normal. there are ways around it besides throwing it away... at least look into some methods of removal/cleaning before you bow out and toss it... just my thought

Dont smoke moldy buds....moldy hash or anything with mold spores on it.

It wont just wash off.

I agree with trill, I would throw it out and pay way more attention to your drying and curing procedures. it wont be a loss if you pay attention and learn how to dry and cure.

So throw away everything, or only the moldy buds? They have been in the same jars

I personally think throwing away buds without obvious signs of mold is a waste. Yes, if you see mold toss them, but we inhale mold spores everyday walking down the street, on the fruit you eat, been in a basement lately? Yeah, tons of them. I am in no way advocating smoking or using moldy pot in anyway, but if it lacks a moldy smell and you don't see any mold on it then why would you chuck it? If there is no mold "fuzz" within a week you are good to go. Just keep it dry.

hard to say. id think if t smells like mold its junk! it you can see mold , junk. if its still in the same jars then itll all prob have mold, mold will wipe out a jar in a few hrs. be safe

What would happen if you put the jars in a freezer would it kill the mold ??

Now that it has dryed out, I've seen no further development of mold. No white webby development or so. Have inspected it carefully, and would be a shame to waste it. I guess the mold should have died by know(?)

I was thinking about this recently and nobody has ever mentioned "microwave" for killing spores. Like I said, just thinking. You would need electro-microscopes to prove anything involving spores, though. It seems possible, doesn't it?

David_2 said:
Now that it has dryed out, I've seen no further development of mold. No white webby development or so. Have inspected it carefully, and would be a shame to waste it. I guess the mold should have died by know(?)

If it doesn't smell moldy or look moldy I'd say good to go. I'd clean out the jars too, if you haven't since removing the mold infested flowers.

sunakard2000 said:
search on youtube for Cleaning PM off Bud... should find a video by a dude named jorge, he uses a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water, gives it a good bath, then a good rinse and quick drys by hanging and having a fan blow on them, once its dry jar up and cure as normal. there are ways around it besides throwing it away... at least look into some methods of removal/cleaning before you bow out and toss it... just my thought

Powdery Mildew and Mold are two different things.

You inhale mold spores and you give yourself a good chance of a killer, and I mean KILL YOU, lung infection. Can't think of any buzz worth dying for.

And yes, we inhale mold spores in the air every day, but when you burn or vape molded weed you are concentrating the spores. It's a lot different from what our body is naturally able to filter out.

In case you're wondering, here's a pic of lungs infected with mold.

aspergillus01.gif

So even if weed doesn't have smell of mold, or signs of mold when smoking it, it means that every joint out there that you smoke, might aswell be contaminated and **** up your lungs? Haha what a ******* ridicilously dangerous drug we are talking about.

Melvan said:
Powdery Mildew and Mold are two different things.

You inhale mold spores and you give yourself a good chance of a killer, and I mean KILL YOU, lung infection. Can't think of any buzz worth dying for.

And yes, we inhale mold spores in the air every day, but when you burn or vape molded weed you are concentrating the spores. It's a lot different from what our body is naturally able to filter out.

In case you're wondering, here's a pic of lungs infected with mold.

I looked this up. This picture is from a patient with a lung infection from her basement. She had immune system problems, which do increase your risk of respitory problems if exposed to alot of mold. You can also get a mold infection from too much antibiotics, so...

@David 2:
Do what you want man, it's always better to be safe than sorry. I've been working around mold for the better part of 20 years and neither I nor any of my customers have ever been ill. I don't serve moldy food EVER but I do serve and eat food that has been EXPOSED to mold. Everyone on this planet has.

I'm not saying get rid of all the bud, just get rid of what is for sure molded, and some of the bud that doesn't look molded yet from around the area that is molded.

i had rot on my buds i cut off the bad part and put the rest to dry got some half buds that look good i hope they smoke that way to

long wave uv lights would be the easiest way of detection you guys. been saying this for years...

url: hMPp://www.marijuana.com/threads/marijuana-and-mold.152881/

the only way to know for sure....

Everything about MOLD and marijuana

Hey all,

I've recently become interested in molds and fungus that apply to the rotting and contamination of marijuana, their related health problems, prevention methods, and so forth.
I researched as much as I could on the internet about it, and am writing this post because I basically feel that all the threads addressing this issue are heresay and myths. Please note although sometimes I say something along the lines of "this mold is not specifically bad, and won't kill you", i'm saying just that. This does not mean that it won't cause sickness, or that it is not better to just throw away moldy weed, I just like to give people options.

To start off, I must say that mold and fungus is much more prominent and most likely inhaled far more than people would like to admit, as this study suggests "Fungi were identified in 13 of 14 MJ samples" *1. But is this really bad, which molds are deadly and which are not, do I have to throw away my entire stash if it gets infected? Hopefully conclusions to these questions can be drawn from the information here.

Please note, any *x is the number of the reference used (references are at the bottom), and anything in "quotes" and italics are direct quotes from sites.

How bad is bad?

Here we look at how bad an infection can get from mold, and the most probable results are.

First, the "bad" part in molds are something called mycotoxins, and seem to be (usually) only bad if someone is exposed to them a lot over long periods of time. It seems most molds contain mycotoxins, so there's not much chance in avoiding them. *8.

Most effects seem to be allergic reactions or asthma, which usually occur "in sensitive individuals. About 15 million Americans are allergic to mold. The most common reactions are flu-like symptoms and asthma. Those with chronic lung or immune problems, are at risk for more serious reactions like fever, lung infections and a pneumonia-like illness." *8. Most actual sicknesses (like the one from aspergillus), bronchitus, mold "growing" in your lungs, is not a problem for healthy individuals and is not a prominent factor in the most common molds.

Surprisingly most research indicates that if a strain is particularly bad, it is MUCH worse when digested than when inhaled. Thus, with certain strains it's actually better to smoke the weed than to cook it, as some (notice, it's not all) strains will not die when exposed to extremely high temperatures. Anaerobic Bacteria for example is one of these, while not very harmful if inhaled, it is FAR more devestating when ingested.

Molds:

Here we answer, what are the most common molds and how bad are they?

The only "deadly" mold seems to be one named Stachybotrys, and it is rather rare. So it's not a general concern (as in, I wouldn't worry if you have this one, you most likely don't). As well it seems more deadly (or perhaps higher infection rate) to infants and elder people, or people with generally bad immune systems.

The most common mold is Aspergillus, and it occurs literally everywhere, from the soil to the trees.. you have definitely inhaled it before if you've ever been outside, and it is not a problem for people with regular immune systems. The problem with this mold arises with people with extremely low immune systems (AIDS, marrow transplants, etc..), where it may cause problems. To further emphasize this point, "Aspergillus is a group of moulds which is found everywhere world-wide, especially in the autumn and winter in the Northern hemisphere. Only a few of these moulds can cause illness in humans and animals. Most people are naturally immune and do not develop disease caused by Aspergillus. However, when disease does occur, it takes several forms." *6. As well, "The simplest may be contaminating pot with fungi like Aspergillosis, which is still toxic when smoked. Healthy people can inhale the spores and not get sick, but medical marijuana users can contract skin disorders, pneumonia and other pulmonary infections, some of them fatal." *4. Basically, I'd say that this mold, although bad, is not really a concern. Most healthy people should have no problem with it.

Next is Anaerobic Bacteria, which only grows in dark and air tight (ie. sealed jar) situations.. Anaerobic specifically means that it does not require oxygen to grow. This one is easy to identify (brown & slimey, plus you had your stash air tight), and is rather bad. That is to say, it's easy to avoid, and thus you should never run into it, but if you do it's best to just throw it out. The most common of these is a mold known as Clostridium botulinum, and everything you could want to know about it is here: hMPp://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap2.html.

Latest posts

Back