CalMag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
Hello. I have a plant that has been in veg for about 4 weeks. I have been increasing the ppm's gradually. I have kept the CalMag ppm's at 200ppm throughout the cycle. Should I be increasing the CalMag ppm's also? If so by how much?

Depends.
With feeding the soil method and r/o water I use 1ml/gal throughout the grow.

Doing dwc and tap/city water I only used in flower at 5-10ml/gal.

Feeding the plant I leaned more towards using it the same as I did in dwc.

I use 5ml per gallon with my promix soilless soil........... from start to finish.

If you are growing in soilless medium like coco coir then you will need to increase it a bit as the plants get larger because off a chemical relationship with the coco coir. But You don't need to continually increase it. I only ran mine to about 4-5ml per gallon of water when the plants got bigger, and I ran mine all the way through until about 3-4 weeks ffrom harvest. At that point I cut it off as the plants won't need it anymore past that point. I am not sure about how it works best in soil, but I am sure some of the soil growers will chime in shortly :)

Sorry, I am growing in DWC. I have been using 200ppm of calmag as a base. I haven't increased the calmag once. I am almost ready to bloom. I am using regular tap water. I made the switch to tap from ro water because my city water is pretty clean at 65ppm. How much should i be increasing it every week?

I run DWC. I do not mix my cal-mag separately, but I generally use 5-10 ml per gal when I get into flowering.

Im using advanced nutrient jungle juice, CalMag and dutch master gold zone.

Okay. I will follow yur directions. Let me ask if i have this correctly. I only increase CalMag during the first few weeks of flowering only?

I haven't treated with calmag yet. I'm waiting for my plants to talk to me a little more and show signs of deficiency. When i checked on her last she has leaves that are turning yellow from the middle of the leaf and working it's way outward. I am going to put her in flowering in the next couple of days. I have been using maybe 3.5ml per gallon. I will increase calmag to 5ml per gallon and nutes will be increased along with it too. Thanks guys.

Your yellowing is mostly not caused by the lack of cal/mg since it is still in veg.

I would guess N. But hard to tell with no pics.

I should of had her in bloom this week. I am waiting for my bloom light to arrive. I also didn't increase her nutes by much this week. This is why i think it is a deficiency.

Often times in DWC You don't need as much calmag, depending on the strain and the brand of nutes. I use the Jungle Juice in coco and ffound that I will get Magnesium deficiencies with most of my strains during veg iff I don't add calmag. It sounds like you may not have your nute balance right or your pH is off. Can you post a couple pics off your plants? What is your pH and how much do you let it drift before correcting it?

Yellowing from the middle of the leaf was 1st sign of PH issues with me. Deficiency, but caused by lockout.

the reason for using or not using calmag in late flower depends on your Nitrogen

most calmag products have nitrogen so if you nitrogen ratio is a bit high then youd not want to add more during late flower

but if your nitrogen level is low enough you could still use it during late flower

you really need to watch the plants and let them tell you and then next go around will have a better handle on it

if your plants are showing N def yellowing in the bottom of the plant you might be ok using the calmag...

but if your not seeing def in calcium or magnesium you may not need it or as much

calcium def looks like tiny red rust spots or freckles and magnesium will first show by the leaves curling up on the edges like a taco and if it gets worse the edges will burn

using too much cal mag could reduce K uptake

if your plants are not showing signs of Calcium def but still show signs of magnesium def then use Epsom salt instead of cal mag to get your Mg

Reactions: MR1
tell me the % of NPK Ca and Mg for each product you add to your rez and the amount of each in Milliliters and I will tell you exactly how much cal/mg and or epsom salt to add for flower

this will put you in the ball park and then watch them from there

it will take me about 20 minutes to do the calculations using excel

but im willing to put the effort in if you are

i use 5ml per gal through the whole grow i think it works best that way insteadof waiting to see what the plant is lacking later

im not sure what nutes are being used but, I have the GH 3 part handy so using that as an example

5ml of calmag per gallon will yield 16ppm of Mg and 42 ppm of Ca and 26ppm of N (which is a fair amount of N)

the added N may or may not be a factor in flower

... looking at the GH line for veg 5mls is about right and sets your calcium in range or even a bit high...

the Mg is still a bit low and an additional 0.5grams/gln of Epsom salt would be in order

in this case I personally would go with 4ml/gln of calmag and 0.5grams/gln of Epsom salt

but again.. that's looking at the GH 3 part line

I only post again as to not mislead anyone.. I apologize for the blah blah blah

in regard to the 3 GH 3 part during flower

I would run the calmag until final flush (or close to it) at 4 ml/gln and not add the Epsom salt after 2 weeks into 12/12

the Gh formula has higher Mg in the flower recipe thus the Epsom salt is not needed nor recommended

the relation between K, Ca , and Mg is relative

if any one of the 3 are out of sink it will throw off the other 2

using calmag adds calcium

adding additional Epsom allows you to raise the Mg without also raising the Ca

too much Ca will reduce K uptake and create a greater need to flush as the EC in your medium will rise faster with all the extra Ca building up

Latest posts

Back