Bug identification?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

next

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been finding these in my basement, sometimes on a plant. I don't see any damages, but does anyone know what they are?

Hard shell, slow moving, almost stupid slow. Small maybe 2-4mils.

I never find them on a sticky trap, I think they are looking for heat, not food, but thats just my assumption.

View attachment 1.jpg

View attachment 2.jpg

View attachment 3.jpg

My guess is a root vine weevil. They love hydrangea and rose and lilac foliage. The rvw usually has a pointier snout. So maybe just a beetle. Check your pots to see if they like your roots.

If it was at my grow, i wouldn't freak out... Just watch.

Thanks rose, I think you nailed it.

They do have abit of a pointy nose.... They have been around for awhile.. a few months. I was finding them around some other plants I had growing out in the open in my basement, like cucumber, squash, broccoli, cantaloup.

Then I took the veggies outside, and replaced them with the 6 sweet cheese clones. I've never seen one on a plant, but overnight 3 showed up on the cardboard I used as a reflector for the light.

I will transplant the cones in about 2 weeks, and I will be sure to look the roots over extra carefully. These little guys have never made it inside my tent, or on an MJ plant so I wasn't too concerned but nice to know what it is.

Root Vine Weevil - It sounds so evil...

I really don't think they will be a problem. I have never had them get on marijuana.

I hate them, in my rose growing days you would find me outside at midnight, that is when they enjoy their meal, with a flashlight. I would either squish them with my shoes on, or drop them in a glass of soapy water i carried.

Yes, the neighbors that saw me knew for sure i was nuts.

They are little blanks though. IF you have lilac you probably have them.

Are their mouth turned down?
Turned downed mouth usually means plant sucker.

I really don't think they will be a problem. I have never had them get on marijuana.

I hate them, in my rose growing days you would find me outside at midnight, that is when they enjoy their meal, with a flashlight. I would either squish them with my shoes on, or drop them in a glass of soapy water i carried.

I'd thump them...........then I'd:bong:.........:rofl:

Root vine weevils take out chunks of leaf. They live in the ground i think is why they are called root vine.

I appreciate all the replies guys, I don't know what kind of weevil they are but don't they have the long snout or mouth like a normal weevil. There are Broad-nosed Weevil in my area.

Tons of lilac's around my yard, the neighbor's yard ect..

Previous owners had water problems in the basement, so they installed a french drain (except they did it INSIDE the house) So.. they tore up the concrete along one side of the basement, installed some weeping tile, burried it with gravel, and have it angled into a sump pit..

Needless to say, there is a babbeling brook in the one corner of the basement, and i'm sure little dirt dwelling bugs can get into the basement from there. (Just so happens thats the corner that was available to hang a light and grow some plants)

Well I keep finding them on the cardboard, i've had about 10 so far. Just found one on the underside of a leaf! Still no damages to any plants, but if they are on the leaf, they are pooping on the leaf :eek:

I really don't like bugs on my plants :mad: I hope to get them into the tent ASAP

I wonder what they are eating? When they take a bite it is a jagged bite. Like pinking shears.

I was reading about them, and I found that some apparently come inside the house for shelter, not necessarily food. And some types don't eat plants they eat like, food.

There are like 1000000 types of evil little weevils, grain weevils, I dunno, maybe they are eating the food in the pantry lol

I can't see anything on the plants rose, I think they just happen to be living in the basement ? That's my best guess, I do have food down there but its all unopened, in containers, ect.. i dunno

We get them in the house once in a while, but they are really after my roses.. i know them all by name. lol

Latest posts

Back