Help Writing My Notice to Work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Micro Queen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I mentioned a month or so ago how much work was getting me down and how peed off with it all I was. I didn't want to hand in my notice until I had something else lined up really, but I've had no luck so far and work is getting to me even more than ever and I really need to get out before I slip into a bad depressive spell. And don't worry I have been writing to places for a new job and have decided that as much as I hate the place I will sign up at the Job Centre if I don't find anything in a month's time.

I have never written my notice for a job before so really don't know where to start. Obviously I have MANY reasons for leaving but don't see why I should explain to them as I just wanna get out. I want to keep it nice and civil, despite my urge to be rude to them, as I will probably need the reference.

Can you guys give me some tips on what to write please. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Keep your explanation vague and business-like.

Also, thank them for the opportunity for letting you work there (even if you don't mean it).

I'm not sure what type of setting your work is, but unless you are a higher up they are probably not going to pay too much attention to the explanation. People quit their jobs all of the time. Just keep it civil and positive, like you said, and it will probably be very quick and painless.

Fortunately, i've only had to do this just once.

When i wrote my notice of leave, it was really simple. Short and sweet. It was 4-5 sentences letting them know I was leaving. It was polite, simple, and short. I didn't say why I was leaving.

Before that, i've never written one before. So, I went online and typed in resignation letter or something like that and they have some generic "thank you for employing me here but i'm leaving...blah blah blah" That was all I needed and that was all my employer needed.

My advice is go online and just find some run of the mill resignation letter and use that. But put it in your own words, of course...LOL :)

Good luck Thorn! :D

Hi Thorn :)

Print this off.

Put it in an envelope.

Hand it to your boss.

Calmly turn around and walk out :woohoo:

:aok:

:peace:

**** you.jpg

Short and sweet! "I really enjoyed working here and learned much that qualifies me for greater responsibilities in my new position. Sincerely, Thorn"

Always be very careful what you put in writing, it can follow you the rest of your life. Likewise be very careful with what you say if you have an exit interview with human resources. JMO, since you asked! Good luck to you.

As much as Hippy In England makes me laugh, I am gonna agree with the first posters. Short n Sweet, possibly praise their business, if not the actual employees.

Dear Sirs/Madam
My time employed by you I learned a lot. I am unable to continue working for you due to personal problems/reasons. Please accept my notice of two weeks.
Thank You,
signed the t-shirt above (not)

Reason for leaving .....Personal, no need to explain anything. Could say health reasons....but I would not explain anything. Tho, health reasons may reflect bad if you want them to write a recomendation. Personal covers all, and if asked what is the reason, blush and say "personal". But have something in mind, in case you want to tell them something when/if they ask.
Good luck

NEVER say health reasons... Just basically say that at this point. This career path is not compatible with your situation... Thank you for the offer blah blah blah....

Heres one for ya,,,

To whom it may concern. ( whoevers name is your boss is best)

I am resigning my position as (job title) effective (2 weeks date). I have enjoyed my tenure here, but have accepted another position more in line with my career objectives and goals. Thanks for the opportunity you have given me.

Sincerlely,
Name

this will ensure a smooth split......hope this helps..They may want to talk to you but simply say "I have thought about this and have made what I feel is the best decision" and leave it at that..

Yo Ho,

I believe that New_2_Chronic has stated it the best. Not that we are in a type of competition over this, but the idea is a clean break away, and being smooth at the same time. Sometimes things we say, and do, can follow us into the future, and in that case smooth is where it is at period.
Hey you never know if just as your stepping into another position you discover that someone that you knew from the last place might be the very one looking at your application, Suddenly they remember that you were cool about it all, and conducted yourself in a mature fashion, and bingo your being smooth turns out to be the very thing that gets you hired ya know what mean ?
Good Luck, we will be thinking some positive thoughts for ya, and hey !!!, with all this smoothness, and positive energy your bound to come out smelling like a rose.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

hey everyone thanks for all the good postings! I looked online and found a good one and edited it to be my own words. I was gonna write on the end for her to let me know if she wants me to do any paperwork to help future employees, but i scrapped that bit necause well basically, why the 'eff' should i, lol.

What I did write was very formal and polite and straight to the point. Got it checked over by my boyfriend and Mum and they both said its fine. So as long as I hand it in in the next week then I will be able to celebrate my fella's birthday with him.

Oh and I'm going to see Motorhead next week!!!

Ok so I know that has nothing to do with anything, but I think its worth mentioning :p

king is your avatar you pumpkin by any chance? if it is, its awesome :D

Yo Thorn,

Naw, not mine, but would sure love to claim it ya know ? Just found that avatar one day and dug it, so I grabbed it Ha-Ha.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

ok, but yea that woulda been cool! gotta be added to the ideas for next years pumpkin! :D

Don't get depressed, keep that chin up! It takes guts to do what makes you happy :smoke1:

Good luck, let us know how things are going!

Just tell then you apologize for any undue inconvenience, but you've passed away and will no longer be available after two weeks as it will conflict with the funeral. Please send all flowers, compensatory offerings and condolances two your widowed husband and seven children who are now forced to eat top ramon and oak leaves.:cool:

lol thanks! I must admit I was tempted by Hippy's idea :D :p

I work in the catering industry so of course these days health and safety regulations are very strict. one of my friends thinks I should report them to environmental health, get them closed down and get redundancy pay!:D I don't think it'd work though, plus I might be a biatch sometimes, but I just don't think I'd have the heart to do something like that :)

Its just another page in your lifes book, soon to be turned, soon to be forgotten, always there to go back and read, but over, the next chapter is yet to be written, but being written it is, even as you sit and read this :)

This is all very good advice, but with todays economy, you may want to do a little more searching before you quit your job. It's always nice to know that you have somewhere to go once you leave there. :p

Well said Hippy, and you also Neo,
nvthis you crack me up, LOL . Your 100% correct Muddy Paws, it does take guts to seek out your happiness - right on.

smoke in peace
kingKahuuna

here ya go, Thorn... a TCVG resignation letter :hubba: ...

Hey jerkoff!,

I'm sick and tired of putting up with yer b______t...

You can take yer two week notice and stick it up yer __s...

Ya know... I used to like working for you... back when I started... until I realized what a tool you are....

Later, goof... don't worry... I won't be using you for a reference... I wouldn't want anybody to know I actually worked for you....

Have a great day,
TCVG

feel free ta use my example as a template :D :cool:

Latest posts

Back