Soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pranic

Professional
Reaction score
Ok so just throwing this out there... Is it better to put in your own soils in the ground or mix 1/2 & 1/2? Or go natural? I'm still no outdoor grower by far.
Plus this dirty sand crap worries me... Also how do fire ants have effects on outdoorsy crops?

I don't grow outdoors...... if I did I'd put in my own soil........ and if I was legal I'd use a big pot.

Ok so just throwing this out there... Is it better to put in your own soils in the ground or mix 1/2 & 1/2? Or go natural? I'm still no outdoor grower by far.
Plus this dirty sand crap worries me... Also how do fire ants have effects on outdoorsy crops?
Fire ants will surround your plants and not let you near them.....lol. Seriously though. I grew down south for a while and they were everywhere. They can be a pia if you aren't paying attention...as for the health of the plant, they never bothered mine. I always dug out a good size spot and filled it with a good organic soil.

Reactions: MR1
I am thinking about doing one plant outdoors this year. I will fill a ten gallon smart pot with good soil and plant it in the ground. The smart pot will allow the roots to grow out of the pot into the natural soil, if they want to. That is what i am thinking. Green mojo Pranic.

You need good dirt going into your holes. Very few native soils are good enough that they do not need to at least be amended. I don't know what you mean by dirty sand crap? If you have sandy soil, you are absolutely going to want to put good soil in the hole. If you have pretty good soil, you may be able to mix it with amendments and do a 50-50 mix with some good organic soil.

Rosebud, curious why the smart pot if you are going to put it in the ground?

Because it would be in good soil, but it would never get rootbound in a smart pot. But it would be cooler in the ground as above soil, not so much watering... I was watering twice a day last summer. I think it is the way I would go here.... I have tree roots and stuff. The very best way would be to dig a huge hole and amend the soil and put 1/2 of the native soil back in and plant it...

Thanks all Yinz guys for the input...

another couple reasons why some might want to bury a pot with amended soil is the super soil will not be leached by the surrounding ground---and the occasion that the plant may have to be moved---you can dig up the pot

just dig ur hole and fill it full of good dirt not 50 50 lol remember me pranic??

Latest posts

Back