Did I miss the sexing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackie54

Reaction score
These plants are grow from seeds. They are 2 feet tall, an at section of leaves coming up the stalk I don't see what is describe as female or male. It looks like another set of leaves coming out on each one an so.far there are 4sets up the stalk.

Hard to tell with those pics. Do you have alternating nodes on that plant yet? Plants are not sexually mature till then.

What are alternating nods. Explain to.me like I am a 5 year old.

I can see the tops of 2 of the plants in the first picture and it does not appear that there are alternating nodes yet. You can see in your pics that the branches are growing out directly opposite one another. When you get alternating nodes, you get one branch growing out and them a little ways up the stem, another branch is growing out at a different level and so on--they are not directly opposite one another any more. This indicates sexual maturity and you can then start looking for preflowers.

Height really has nothing to do with whether they are old enough to sex or not. The plants are quite stretched and don't look like they have many internodes. How old are the plants? Have they been outdoors their whole lives? If indoors under artificial light, what kind and size?

If outdoors your hours haven't dropped enough for you to really note signs of sex just yet. ;) I came in the middle of things though so I don't know what all your doing to get them to show for you yet. However I will go back & read up on a little more of your grow. Just thought I would offer a helping hand if needed. :) keep up the great work.

March first to now. I started from seed an grew to 3 ins tall then transplanted to ten gal. An five gal containers.

The lengthening days tells the plants to keep vegging. Light is weak during spring and this is probably the reason for the stretch. They will most likely continue to veg until after the solstice. Then the shortening of the days will cause the plant to release flowering hormones. So, since they are outdoors, I would expect that you are not going to be able to determine sex until sometime towards the middle of July.

Once they become sexually mature you can take cuts and force flower them by putting them on a 12/12 light schedule indoors. Other than that you are at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Latest posts

Back