Possible stretching problem. Need knowledge from experienced growers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm afraid of HIDs because I have no knowledge of them... I know they are more expensive. And I know they need a ballast for powering... How many HIDs would I need for a 2 plant grow? And I have a fan directly level with the top of the pots blowing across them every 30 minutes as well, 30 on 30 off

I have looked around and found this kit
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009NTI16Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1419274260&sr=8-3&dpPl=1&dpID=516DjqwDmuL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40[/ame]
Can you tell me if its good enough? I was going to use the MH for veg and HPS for flower? I'm sorry I have so many questions but I want to get it right so I can keep doing it.

I'm afraid of HIDs because I have no knowledge of them... I know they are more expensive. And I know they need a ballast for powering... How many HIDs would I need for a 2 plant grow? And I have a fan directly level with the top of the pots blowing across them every 30 minutes as well, 30 on 30 off

That is not unusual. I have found a lot of new growers are somewhat afraid of them because they are not familiar with them or have been told stories. HID is a general term that stands for high intensity discharge and encompasses several different types of light, not all of them good for growing. Digital ballasts will run both MH (metal halide) and HPS (high pressure sodium). The MH, in the blue spectrum of light around 6500K is better for vegging and the HPS, in the red spectrum and around 2500K is better for flowering. Most digital ballasts come with both type bulbs. An air coolable hood or cool tube works a lot better than batwing reflectors as they are much easier to cool.

Lighting needs are figured by the number of sq ft you have in a space rather than the number of plants. I am thinking that a 250W is going to cost as much as a 400W, so you might want to look at a dimmable 400W. This will give you the ability to lower the wattage while the plants are small or if they are in a smaller space. But you still have the option of going bigger. I cannot get your link to work, but I did find this light, which would probably be great for you: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GLK400CT24E-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B00547I5I8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1419276064&sr=8-7&keywords=400w+hps[/ame] A 250W is only going to adequately cover about 5 sq ft. A 400W will cover about 9 sq ft, but you can dim it if you do not need that much light--it has setting to run at 50%, 75% and full power. The one I linked also comes with both bulbs and some other goodies like hangers.

You will need a proper ventilation set up in the near future. Unfortunately, this will be more money. This growing thing is unfortunately not really a hobby you can do properly on a shoestring budget.

Okay. Now I see this set has a cooling tube. So I need a fan for that? And I've got a way for good ventilation now. I've got sever osolating fans available for use. And say if I get this set (which is highly likely) how far to hang away from plants?

I've decided in going with this one because I have prime . [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005DO30MI/ref=s9_simh_gw_d0_g86_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-1&pf_rd_r=0RBGXR7GG4ADT12MQGKN&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2007438502&pf_rd_i=mobile[/ame]

The one in the last link looks to be a bat-wing reflector, so it does not have all the same things as the one I linked. Do NOT get the bat-wing reflector--it is way too hard to cool. As I mentioned before, you really need some kind of air coolable hood or a cool tube to be able to cool things efficiently. Check out this set-up again It is more, but not that much and you really do need the cool tube. The difference is less than dinner at Micky Ds for the family. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GLK400CT24E-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B00547I5I8/[/ame]

Now since I HAVE to have a cooling tube, does that mean I need a 6inch ducting fan?

Yes you will need an exhaust fan to pull the heated and CO2 depleted air out of your grow space. You need this regardless of what type of lights that you use. having a fan blowing the air around within the grow space only serves to cool off the plants, make them move some so that their branches will strengthen, and move fresh air to them ffor breathing. But without a fan to pull the old air out and fresh air in, the plants will over heat and suffocate, which will at best reduce your harvest to minimum, and at worst, kill the plants.

Went ahead and bought it and a 6inch ducting fan. Hope this works

Hmmmmmmm. Well well well well well. When I started , I did a lot of research and started with OTT lites super brite T 10. I then used PHC(plant health care) from Gardeners Supply in Vermont that produces thick healthy seedlings. If done correctly will make plants @ 6-7 ins with a main stem the thickness of a ciggaret in 2 weeks time. The OTT Lites (sorry they don't make anymore) were full spectrum lights with the added magnetic radiation shield on it and out produced any light I have seen to date. It had a 33,000 hr rating and produced by the background lighting for Walt Disney animation. I think Mr. Ott may have passed on but the lights now are garbage. The ones I bought in 97 stayed alive till 2008! I just recently purchased on experiment the SK450 super grow led. I heard a lot about it and sacrificed to get it. It seems very low in start compared to the Ott. I have started some VISC Mikado, very hardy and crystaly will let u all know how do. Ben down for 3 yrs. Back on block in DC. Peeps are anxious for my kind and a waiting list in tow.
Keep lights close and spray with 1 tsp fulvic / qt water. Usually I use as well Peru sea bird guanos @ 1 tsp raw /gallon h2o and stand back. Psg is very alkaline xo use with caution. Time to go b back soon.
Peace
Atomic Dog

You need an exhaust fan regardless of the type of light you are running. An exhaust fan is for far more than removing heat from your space. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis and a decent exhaust fan is needed to maintain negative pressure in your space so that odors do not escape. I am hoping that you didn't buy a duct booster fan? These do not work well and will not do the job, as they are not meant to be stand alone fans, but just to assist larger fans on long ducting runs.

I used OTT light way back when, but truly, they do not hold a candle to the HPS. Right now and with growers on a budget, a HPS is still the best way to go. You are going to get far more lumens per watt and they just penetrate further than any fluoro made.

Unfortunately, this is not a hobby that you can really do on a shoestring. Cannabis is a high energy plant and has quite specific needs and wants. There really is a reason that cannabis is not cheap.

I'm not trying to be rude. I appreciate the help. But this is all becoming so inconsistent, its confusing. Now I did by the highest rated booster fan I could see. It attaches directly to the cooling tube. I got this fan SPECIFICALLY for the cooling tube. Not the exhaust for the set up so I imagine I'm fine. This is the fan I got for the tube.
http://tinyurl.com/ductfan
Now if there is a better one that I need. Please link it asap. I will cancel my order and reorder. But after reading what this is used for and the comments. I have no doubt that this will work.

Watched it. Made a hell of a lot of sense. I'm confident In my choice. Thanks MR1. I'm okay for the moment. I think I'll do fine on my first grow

Just remember , none of the fans they use are duct fans , they use fans designed for grow room ventilation.

Right I seen that. I've got a 6in duct fan that directly connects to my cooling tube ATM. I'll be okay. My next purchase is one of those grow tints. But that will be a little later. But thanks again. I'll comment if I run into problems but right now everything is going as planned. Still using my cfls. Cause my MH and HPS are in the mail. But my little girls have there first true leaves and are looking happy as a clam. Thanks all. Happy holidays. And y'all stay awesome.

Latest posts

Back