Need Advice on Nutes and Coco Coir

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keepem Guessin

A Mom and Pop Venture!
Reaction score
This is my first foray into growing with Coco Coir and I need advice on how to fertilize properly. The Coco I'm using is crouton size and I transplanted my plants for the blooming period using a layer method of a Coco/perlite ratio for the buckets adapted from Massproducer's threads on design. I also added bonemeal, magnesium, coffee grounds and kelp meal to the Coco and perlite.

What I've noticed with Coco is that it absorbs the diluted liquid fertilizer and holds the nutes right against the plant roots. This is resulting in a chemical burn since the nutes and roots are exposed to each other for an extended period of time. Should I fertilize my plants once a week and then flush the Coco right after I fertilize so that it doesn't hold the nutes for several days? That seems like that wouldn't give the nutes a chance to work.

Also, even though I am using organic fertilizers, it seems that purchased products are too harsh for the plants using the Coco. Would it be better to make my own organic fertilizer since I'm using Coco?

Thanks to anyone who can give reliable, experienced advice.

:confused:

I would look for massproduccer..hes the coco coir GOD

How strong are you mixing your nutes, like what is the ratio and what is the brand of nutes you are using?

If you added amendments to your buckets, then you shouldn't need to feed them besides some molasses

thats why i love this site............resalts........no ? go's unanwerd.......i love this place man.........damn the weed browines an python bong be kickin my ***.....lol

I live below the poverty level and was not able to buy my own fertilizer for the blooming stage so my very generous caregiver donated a month's worth of a mixture he uses so I don't know the names of the products. He grows hydroponically and doesn't have experience with coco. His advice was to give about a half cup of this mixture to a gallon of water, but then, that's hydroponics and not coco.

Fortunately, I figured out what was going on and thoroughly flushed the two plants I had transplanted and fertilized. It looks like the female will survive and the other, a suspected male, has a 50/50 chance of survival.

I used Plantation Barbados unsulphured molasses when I fertilized. It makes sense to not have to use fertilizer if the coir is amended. Can there be a danger of adding too much amendments to the soil towards the top of the bucket, according to your directions?

I take it then that I should forget the liquid fertilizer since the coir is amended and to use only 1 - 2 tablespoons molasses per gallon of water every second watering. I am still not clear on watering frequency as the coir retains the water but may look dry on the top of the pot. Could you please advise on this?

And thanks for all the posts you've made regarding growing. I feel like you know your stuff and I've come to rely upon your advice.

:)

Latest posts

Back