Inline fan hook up question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

-=THE_CLAW=-

Hi all,
I have a questions about my 1000w hps... it gets pretty hot in the room I have it in 8ft tall x 3 ft across and width is x 6 ft. The light has 4 inch ports on it, if I want to hook up an inline fan. Should I get a 6 inch canfan with adapter to a 4 inch port? When I hook it up can I simply hook the ducting up to the 6 inch port with 4 inch adapter to the port on the fan and the 4 inch port on the light housing... then to the other side of the fans opposite port then to the outside of my garage cold air in to the fan and it would expell the hot air out the other side to outside of the house?
Sorry for all the newbie questions,
-Jason

hello and welcome..:48:

they have 4 inch inline fans...but if ya wann use the 6 inch you can and use the reducer,,take care and be safe

Hello...

Welcome to MP... There ARE no dumb questions here! Well... maybe a few...;) Your plan sounds great... A 6" will work better even with a reducer. If you get another hood someday consider stepping up to a 6" vented design OR larger... Fans are MUCH cheaper than a/c... Do your hoods have a safety glass you can use to enclose the hoods? If you can hook up a good inline fan to your duct it's going to help alot... and your plan of pulling air from outside is great... Do you do anything to control the dank odors? The only drawback of a 'closed ventilation' system like you're asking about is your fan won't pull any of the stanky dank dank smells from your grow room if you feed it from air outside. Depending on temps you may be able to pull air from within the grow room by leaving the intake side of your hood open. A closed system is usually much more effective at controlling temps but an open system will give you great fresh air exchange and pull the odors constantly out of your grow room so they can't build up in stagnant air and become a problem... Carbon filters are the way to go if you want to control odor... You can run a Carbon Filter in many ways too... You can hook up an inline fan to it and run it within the grow room to constantly cycle and scrub the air if you run a closed system or in an 'open' ventilation system you can attach the filter to the intake side of your hood and use the fan to pull air first from the filter and then through the hood to the fan and blow the warm, odor free air outside...

Happy Growing!:cool:

Yes my hood does have a glass enclosure. Yea maybe I should consider a oder scruber. I like this idea of yours.

'open' ventilation system you can attach the filter to the intake side of your hood and use the fan to pull air first from the filter and then through the hood to the fan and blow the warm, odor free air outside...
Thank.
Jason

dirtyolsouth said:
Hello...

Welcome to MP... There ARE no dumb questions here! Well... maybe a few...;) Your plan sounds great... A 6" will work better even with a reducer. If you get another hood someday consider stepping up to a 6" vented design OR larger... Fans are MUCH cheaper than a/c... Do your hoods have a safety glass you can use to enclose the hoods? If you can hook up a good inline fan to your duct it's going to help alot... and your plan of pulling air from outside is great... Do you do anything to control the dank odors? The only drawback of a 'closed ventilation' system like you're asking about is your fan won't pull any of the stanky dank dank smells from your grow room if you feed it from air outside. Depending on temps you may be able to pull air from within the grow room by leaving the intake side of your hood open. A closed system is usually much more effective at controlling temps but an open system will give you great fresh air exchange and pull the odors constantly out of your grow room so they can't build up in stagnant air and become a problem... Carbon filters are the way to go if you want to control odor... You can run a Carbon Filter in many ways too... You can hook up an inline fan to it and run it within the grow room to constantly cycle and scrub the air if you run a closed system or in an 'open' ventilation system you can attach the filter to the intake side of your hood and use the fan to pull air first from the filter and then through the hood to the fan and blow the warm, odor free air outside...

Happy Growing!:cool:

i totaly agree with DS!!! hes is describing pretty much the setup i use with great success. my only add to this tread is make sure you get a powerful enough fan.

i use a 6in CANFAN on my 400hps cool tube and it works great. if the temp of the air you are using to cool your tube are already pretty cool then a 6in in IMHO wld work for your 1000w. If the air temps arent very cool you might want to go with an 8in fan for more CFM to move more air across your light.

good luck and happy growing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smithgrown said:
i totaly agree with DS!!! hes is describing pretty much the setup i use with great success. my only add to this tread is make sure you get a powerful enough fan.

i use a 6in CANFAN on my 400hps cool tube and it works great. if the temp of the air you are using to cool your tube are already pretty cool then a 6in in IMHO wld work for your 1000w. If the air temps arent very cool you might want to go with an 8in fan for more CFM to move more air across your light.

good luck and happy growing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I guess in theory my air temp would be considerably lower if the fan was sucking out the hot air from the 1000w hps. Would that not be enough?
-Jason

yes that would be fine..I dont like a filter in front of my intake light on the account it slows the air movement down...Good luck...any pics of this setup?

take care and be safe

4u2sm0ke said:
yes that would be fine..I dont like a filter in front of my intake light on the account it slows the air movement down...Good luck...any pics of this setup?

take care and be safe

Soon I will have some pics tonight I will post a few. I will try it without a filter to move air as fast as possible.

Thanks Man

Latest posts

Back