Acetylene

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

-C@jun-

I have 2 20lb acetylene bottles in the shed. Is there a way to clean them for c02? Will a gas place fill the bottles?

Can they be used for c02 or do they have a honeycomb in the bottle?

yes they are color coded. green oxygen etc. I know these are acetylene bottle because I used them for my torch. I have 50lb bottles know and these 2 20lb bottles was wondering if they could be cleaned and used for c02. Also if there is a honeycomb in the bottle for the liquid in the acetylene bottles.

Acetylene tanks have a mix stuff inside, usually diatomacious earth and acetone or silica-lime and acetone. I think there might also be some check-valves that other tanks don't have also. Not sure if you could clean it out or not.
I think any gas supplier could tell you more, but like was said above, I think they are color coded for a reason.

Acetylene has acetone in the bottom of it to stabalize the gas but like it was already said high pressure bottles are color coded by law so no you can't use them. You can use a CO2 bottle to hold CO2.

yeah just got off the phone with the pops and he said nobody would even fill it because of the color code. Also something like c02 bottles have a max 2200psi were acetylene is under 1000psi. Basically they will not work.

Appreciate the help fellas!
Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year

Latest posts

Back