What Everyone Using for Water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatpharmer

Growin A Lifestyle
Reaction score
Whats up guy's, like the thread says what are you using for water? Right now I use a combination of rain water and Distilled, I have 2 problems with using these methods, 1- I can only collect rain water for 1/2 the year and 2- Distilled is costly and a pain to lug! So I was wondering about Reverse Osmosis and how it works and is it expensive, I'm no handy man so plumbing is sketchy at best, and cost is always an issue as I'm cheap!LOL;)

So if anyone has some good info please share! I no my water is extremely hard so I have to figure out something easier than lugging the Distilled and rain water! Thanks for any help offered!

Phatpharmer:hubba:

I collect rain water in 5-gallon buckets, and use that until its a week old or so. I find algae starts growing in it afer that long. When I don't have rain water, I use tap water that has sat out for a day or two.

I've wondered about those water filter thingies ya can get at wallyworld that screw unto the faucet in the kitchen sink, and have the replacable canister filters?

The big box got it all store that is near me are having a sale till 7/26 on a 4 stage RO for $139 plus tax.

IN the summer I use river water and indoors I use tap water that has a ppm range of 160-180

I use tap water, however, I have a ph stabilization problem I am working with. I plant in soil by the way.

The tap water ph is over 8.0. If I put ph down in it, I can reduce the ph but the longer it sits the higher the ph goes. Best I can figure there is a buffer in the tap water counteracting the ph down.

So right now I pour water and add nutrients and let it sit overnight, then the next day before I pour it into the soil I check the ph and reduce the ph as needed. Then I check the runoff from the plants and check to see if I need to add a different ph level of water/nutrients to counter the runoff.

I have a good soil ph meter coming so that should help me perfect this process a little also.

I haven't thought about a reverse osmosis system.

i use 5 gallon jugs filled at water station....But im only doing this one more season as im looking into RO setup here at home..and in winter i collect rain water and snow..but may stop that as well..

take care and be safe

Have you tried your tap water in your grow room? You could do a test with one plant to see if you notice any difference between using tap water and your current muscle building program. Hauling water is really a drag so I use tap water unless I run into issues which has only happened at one location out in the sticks with some very wacky well water. I bubble my water in a 5 gal bucket for 24 hours to help evaporate the chlorine off and I've never had any issues with the local water here but it all depends on where you live. The ph of my tap water is usually close to 7.0 but as of late it's been closer to 6.5 and the tds count is around 110 ppm.

There are some very nice RO setups available and they are anywhere from $150 and up. I know a guy with a large setup and he uses a Merlin Garden Pro that retails around $550 and will process 30 gal per hour...

Peace!:cool:

3470_HL_MerlinGardenPro.jpg

I'm thinking I'll probally just spend the funds to get a good RO unit, I no I need it my water is super hard and on somedays comes out yellowish and the PH is 8.5!

Phatpharmer

I know a lot of folks say they let their tap water sit over night so the chlorine dissipates. However, some info I read indicates that letting the water sit actually increases fluoride levels in the water. Perlite contains fluoride as and fluoride interacts with some fertilizers.

Some plants are sensitive to fluoride "poisoning", although I have not found anything on MJ.

Does anyone have any info on how/or if fluoride impacts mj?

Here are the chemicals standardly used in large city water supplies

Chlorine: to disinfect the water.
Aluminum Sulfate or Alum and Polymer: for coagulation to settle out impurities.
Blended Polyphosphate: to coat pipes and prevent lead leaching.
Activated Carbon: to remove unpleasant tastes and odors.
Fluoride: to help fight cavities in children's teeth.

LEFTHAND said:
i use ro water from a water station, thinking of trying tap water since hauling water is a pain ..

Be sure to test the tap..not sure where you live..and IMO..you will see a diffrance..take care and be safe

cant you open an account with poland spring and have a bunch of 5 gallons delivered as close as possible to the grow? lol, just a thought.

4u2sm0ke said:
Be sure to test the tap..not sure where you live..and IMO..you will see a diffrance..take care and be safe

Testing for what?? ph?? thats a given. but what else would one test for. if its left out the chlorine and that should evaperate. yes.no?? one would think if you can drink it so can the plants other then the chlorine and ph levals lol... anyone have any takes on this??
LH

Tap water that has been bubbled with an airstone for at least a day. And lefthand I'm sure they mean test the parts per million of suspended particulates. If your on city water you can usually get a report detailing this from the water dept.

I bought a 5 stage ro system on e-bay for $60.00 and it works great. The only drawback is that it came with a saddle valve for connection, and they are not very dependable, but i just check it often for leaks, and i connected it close to a shut off should i get a leak. I also mix with 50/50 tap that has been bubbled for a couple days because it takes soooooo long for the ro water and it wastes a bit for the process. I have also tried gh hard water nutes with great success, so the choice is yours.

phatpharmer said:
Whats up guy's, like the thread says what are you using for water? Right now I use a combination of rain water and Distilled, I have 2 problems with using these methods, 1- I can only collect rain water for 1/2 the year and 2- Distilled is costly and a pain to lug! So I was wondering about Reverse Osmosis and how it works and is it expensive, I'm no handy man so plumbing is sketchy at best, and cost is always an issue as I'm cheap!LOL;)

So if anyone has some good info please share! I no my water is extremely hard so I have to figure out something easier than lugging the Distilled and rain water! Thanks for any help offered!

Phatpharmer:hubba:

At present whatever comes out of the tap, however given we have rainfall in these parts measured in 40+"/month I should probably start collecting some. Municipal water here really sucks a fat one.

gourmet said:
I know a lot of folks say they let their tap water sit over night so the chlorine dissipates. However, some info I read indicates that letting the water sit actually increases fluoride levels in the water. Perlite contains fluoride as and fluoride interacts with some fertilizers.

Some plants are sensitive to fluoride "poisoning", although I have not found anything on MJ.

Does anyone have any info on how/or if fluoride impacts mj?

Here are the chemicals standardly used in large city water supplies

Chlorine: to disinfect the water.
Aluminum Sulfate or Alum and Polymer: for coagulation to settle out impurities.
Blended Polyphosphate: to coat pipes and prevent lead leaching.
Activated Carbon: to remove unpleasant tastes and odors.
Fluoride: to help fight cavities in children's teeth.

Hell if I get water from any creek, river, or ocean, it will have chemicals. I have a pond in my back yard, I air the water for two days, my fish can live in it. The good thing about growing organic is the buffer provided by the soil. Another buffer I have added at times is a wick system. I doubt that I would use tap water in a hydro set up.

Latest posts

Back