RRF Help a novice sex this plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kaotik said:
yup :(

..hopefully not your only plant?

I have 5. Two of them look like this. A third one is female, I think. I'll give it another day or two before I make my decision and post a pic for confirmation.

One plant was a disfigured runt when it broke the soil. Only had one round leaf and was really tiny. It's still hanging on to life but it's still very very small. I'm hanging on to it just because it might do something.

The fifth plant is a little sick and I have it sunning outdoors to see if it'll perk up.

I have three Nirvana short ryders that are 4 weeks out of the ground and still not showing sex. They're healthy but it looks like they're not going to auto. I've read that Nirvana has this problem. Based on my very limited experience, I won't be getting any more Nirvana autos.

SensiStarFan said:
Gotta find them white hairs ;)

So I've heard. I suppose I'll know it when I see it. Hairs are harder to see than balls.

Edit: Sensi, you made me go out and look again. I have a fourth Nirvana short ryder that's two weeks old. I germed it when I killed one of my original batch. I see a white hair exactly like your photo. Considering that my other 3 are 4 weeks old and haven't shown sex yet, I hadn't even inspected this one. I had assumed that it wasn't going to auto either.

What day after breaking soil did the RRf show sex? I lost the info in my GJ in the crash. I think it was sometime in the 4th week.

Classic said:
Considering that my other 3 are 4 weeks old and haven't shown sex yet, I hadn't even inspected this one. I had assumed that it wasn't going to auto either.

Well I'm glad one of your autos is showing female, but I guess if the other one's are not going to auto you will have to decide what to do about flowering. I have never grown autos (I have some freebies from a bean order that I never grew) and I know very little about them but don't they get light something like 20 hours a day when flowering? And if you have non-auto females that require 12/12 for flowering, what do you do? Flower the autos or the non-autos? ...assuming you can't run two different set-ups at the same time.

Jericho said:
What day after breaking soil did the RRf show sex? I lost the info in my GJ in the crash. I think it was sometime in the 4th week.
I started germination on the plant shown in the pic on Jan 26 and it broke ground on Jan 29. I first saw the balls yesterday. So, that was the 16th day out of the ground.

SensiStarFan said:
Well I'm glad one of your autos is showing female, but I guess if the other one's are not going to auto you will have to decide what to do about flowering. I have never grown autos (I have some freebies from a bean order that I never grew) and I know very little about them but don't they get light something like 20 hours a day when flowering? And if you have non-auto females that require 12/12 for flowering, what do you do? Flower the autos or the non-autos? ...assuming you can't run two different set-ups at the same time.

Considering that this is my first grow, I know next to nothing. I've had the lights running 24/0 and according to Nirvana, this is a "grower error". Their site says to run 18/6 so I switched to that yesterday.

Still, I have this fourth plant that auto'd under 24/0 and the RRFs sure didn't mind the constant light. I don't know. This is all a learning experience for me.

That was fast. Im on day 18 and no sign of sex yet.

Jericho said:
That was fast. Im on day 18 and no sign of sex yet.

I thought so too. I've been lurking your journal knowing I was a few days behind you. That's what made me question what I was seeing.

I have a second plant showing balls as of today. I have lost track of which plant broke ground on which day but they all popped out over the same week end.

Hmm, Well from the last time i grew RRF the males showed 1st. Maybe this is a good sign hehe. I shall be keeping a close eye on it.

Just went and checked it and think it might actually be a male. Way to small to tell for sure but i think it might be.

Will take some macro shots to get a better look later.

Classic said:
Considering that this is my first grow, I know next to nothing. I've had the lights running 24/0 and according to Nirvana, this is a "grower error". Their site says to run 18/6 so I switched to that yesterday.

Still, I have this fourth plant that auto'd under 24/0 and the RRFs sure didn't mind the constant light. I don't know. This is all a learning experience for me.

there is nothing wrong with 24-0 light, imo its better than 18-6

dman1234 said:

I agree. Marijuana will grow all the time the lights are on. IMO, 18/6 lengthens your veg time and encourages stretch--growth and stretch are two quite different things.

Most auto breeders recommend 20/4.

dman1234 said:
That's what I thought. Nirvana thinks differently. The quote below is from their website. I'm a novice and all so I don't have much right to form an opinion but I did anyway. I think Nirvana has problems with their autos and they're looking to place the blame somewhere else.

Right now, I have 4 Nirvana short ryders. Three plants are 4 weeks old showing no sign of sex. One is two weeks old and it's a female. They're in the same room under the same light.

BTW, I sure wish my females had shown one day earlier. I wouldn't have had to post this thread and display my total ignorance. :eek: Now that I've seen both sexes, I have no problem telling them apart.

Nirvana Website said:
Begin by making very sure that any problems you are experiencing with these strains are not due to grower mistakes! Common mistakes include:

- using nutrients intended for use in the vegetative period. If you're using these, the plant will not get the necessary nutrients to start producing flowers. Solution: switch to flowering nutrients immediately.
- using a 24/0 light cycle. The fact that auto-flowerers are not photo period dependent, like regular cannabis plants are, does not mean that being bathed in light 24/7 is right for them. Many growers make the mistake of thinking plants need to be exposed to light as much as possible to grow bigger, when the dark period is actually when plants use that built-up light energy to develop roots and leaves. (obviously, using a dark period also means far lower electricity bills and heat output). Solution: switch to an 18/6 or even 16/8 light cycle.
- using too high temperatures. Tying in with the issue above - if plants get too hot, flowering may be affected. Slightly lowering the temperatures simulates the ending of the growing season, thus stimulating flowering. Solution: carefully lower those temperatures.

I turn my light of maybe 2 hours a week. Thats it. I have seen a great result in using 24/0 light cycle on Autos
When i get a 2nd tent i might try some side by side and see if there is any difference, would be worth the experiment considering all the controversy on this.

Jericho said:
I turn my light of maybe 2 hours a week. Thats it. I have seen a great result in using 24/0 light cycle on Autos.
I've switched my lights to 19/5. I couldn't decide on 20/4 or 18/6 so I split the difference.

We're having sunny days with temps in the mid 70s right now. For the plants that did auto (two so far, 1- RRF and 1- Short Ryder), they're taking the three short steps to outdoors during the lights off period. I have two sickly plants that accompany them. This also keeps the three SRs cooler during the heat of the day (problem #3 from the Nirvana site).

I'll keep doing this as long as the weather holds. I want to see if the SRs will sex under the shorter lighting. If not, they'll just have to veg for a while. They're looking really good.

Latest posts

Back