My personal thx & need of magnifier rec.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64yoda

n00b
Reaction score
This is my Berry Ryder. Planted on January 18th.

I just want to thank whoever it was that told me a while back that this lady was nowhere near finished, in spite of the breeder's words that it would finish in 65 days. He/she said at least 3 more weeks.

So I decided to keep feeding it organic P, K, micro's, and unsulphured molasses and it went crazy. Trichomes still fairly white it seems, but it's hard for me to tell with a cheap magnifying glass (it may appear the trich's are getting more amber, but I think it's the look the camera gives and the warm white light the CFL's give).

If anyone can recommend a magnifier of some kind, I'd appreciate it.

Seriously need to get some kind of support from the hobby store. It started to get fairly top-heavy, especially after I read that some people do more than one flush during a grow [and went ahead and did a flush]. That might have been one of the tickets to so much growth. I still don't know if even organic nutes can leave salts in the soil. I would have done a further out photo, but I'm not proud of how it looks altogether. I wish it was budding up a lot more.

I set Photobucket albums to private. I don't know if anyone will still be able to see. If not, let me know. Here's how it's looking.

IMG_0810_zpsm4tchb6l.jpg

IMG_0824_zps1egqp2dp.jpg

IMG_0826_zpsbabhzwed.jpg

IMG_0820_zpsosnyvcfm.jpg

IMG_0811_zpshj7tbytk.jpg

I've never donated to a forum before, but when I got a PM from the Admin about donations, MJP will definitely be the first website I donate to)) You guys rule.

Beautiful plant, very nice.

This is the eye loupe I use:[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Microscope-Jeweler-Currency-Magnifier-Adjustable/dp/B00AQAANDS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428016539&sr=8-5&keywords=loupe[/ame]

I have three of them, i love them.

Beautiful plant, very nice.

This is the eye loupe I use:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQAANDS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have three of them, i love them.

Rosebud, thanks))) It's the first compliment I've gotten, since no one besides my mom and sister know I'm growing.

Bought it just now))) Really inexpensive! I was hoping I could change the shipping from free to something paid so I could get it sooner than April 28th, but I guess I didn't have that option. The magnifying glass will have to do for now, figuring out when the trich's are changing.

Btw, I was putting up a 3-foot wooden down in the planter with zip ties cuz it's getting so top-heavy and weighted with the buds. It was sleepy time for the two plants, so I wasn't working in a lot of light. I got just a little of something on my fingers of my left hand. Not sure if it came from flowers or leaves around the flowers. That was 2 hours ago. It was like pine sap! Really sticky! The smell is amazing! It's why I haven't washed it off yet)))) I can still smell it while I'm typing away, 2 hours later)))

I wish I could afford one of those professional DSLR cameras. I was able to use my ex-g/f's when I was visiting her in SPB, Russia. They can do so much. If I had the dough, I'd buy one just for the sake of taking photos of my plants))

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you are doing a very nice job. you should be proud of yourself. How long has it been in 12/12 hours? How many weeks in? You are going to be doing a happy dance at harvest. You are going to smoke it and it may be the best pot ever have had and you are going to be happy. Enjoy this first time.

Best weed is your own grown, good job, you will only get better from here.:fly:

Well you are doing a very nice job. you should be proud of yourself. How long has it been in 12/12 hours? How many weeks in? You are going to be doing a happy dance at harvest. You are going to smoke it and it may be the best pot ever have had and you are going to be happy. Enjoy this first time.

Thanks. I started it and my photoperiod (figuring WTH) in my tent at 12/12 exactly one month after planting both seeds the same day with 2x 2700K CFLs. I realize it's not a lot of light, but the amount of lumens seemed enough for just two plants to have 4x 2700K CFLs going in a small 5 foot tent.

Best weed is your own grown, good job, you will only get better from here.:fly:
MR1, yeah, the reason I wanted to grow my own is cuz I wanted to experience what it would be like to smoke something that I grew organically myself, the same as simply growing Lemon Balm or Rosemary or Basil or different strains of Tomatoes)) Knowing that my own hard work went into something I'm smoking made me think that maybe it will even give a different kind of high or at least a different outlook. I know that sounds delusional, but I took a 15 year hiatus from smoking cuz of prescription meds. So, I'm not "seasoned" like most of everyone else here :) :)

Plus, I'm thinking of getting into Agronomy. Botany was what I wanted to major in coming out of h.s. Got accepted to that particular uni, Iowa State Univ, but ended up going into aviation instead. Don't worry, I'm not flying any of you around the country :D I quit after my sophomore year. I don't even have my private pilot's license :D

Thanks. I started it and my photoperiod (figuring WTH) in my tent at 12/12 exactly one month after planting both seeds the same day with 2x 2700K CFLs. I realize it's not a lot of light, but the amount of lumens seemed enough for just two plants to have 4x 2700K CFLs going in a small 5 foot tent.

MR1, yeah, the reason I wanted to grow my own is cuz I wanted to experience what it would be like to smoke something that I grew organically myself, the same as simply growing Lemon Balm or Rosemary or Basil or different strains of Tomatoes)) Knowing that my own hard work went into something I'm smoking made me think that maybe it will even give a different kind of high or at least a different outlook. I know that sounds delusional, but I took a 15 year hiatus from smoking cuz of prescription meds. So, I'm not "seasoned" like most of everyone else here :) :)

Plus, I'm thinking of getting into Agronomy. Botany was what I wanted to major in coming out of h.s. Got accepted to that particular uni, Iowa State Univ, but ended up going into aviation instead. Don't worry, I'm not flying any of you around the country :D I quit after my sophomore year. I don't even have my private pilot's license :D

ohh ya if you have not heavily smoked for a period of time this is gonna be amazing once cured for you, I'm sure from the looks of the frost you'll be flying your couch around :) MR1 is spot on you only learn more and it just gets better faster easier freeer lol

Not sure of your lights but bud density and CFL don't work well in my past experience. I use a 600w that has 3 settings 50%, 75% & 100% for veg 142$ (was very cheap on [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GLK600GW19-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B004L3AQ1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428266715&sr=8-1&keywords=600+watt+grow+light[/ame] ) fan runs on ballast is super quiet and have had it on 24/7 about a year no issues and a 1k HPS for flower i have MH bulbs but don't think I ever even used one and t5 for cutting seeds. for what you get out of the difference in Density lights are worth the money they will easily pay them selves off to you. LED is where i'm leaning or to the sun!

ohh ya if you have not heavily smoked for a period of time this is gonna be amazing once cured for you, I'm sure from the looks of the frost you'll be flying your couch around :) MR1 is spot on you only learn more and it just gets better faster easier freeer lol

Not sure of your lights but bud density and CFL don't work well in my past experience. I use a 600w that has 3 settings 50%, 75% & 100% for veg 142$ (was very cheap on http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L3AQ1U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 ) fan runs on ballet is super quiet and have had it on 24/7 about a year no issues and a 1k HPS for flower i have MH bulbs but don't think I ever even used one and t5 for cutting seeds. for what you get out of the difference in Density lights are worth the money they will easily pay them selves off to you. LED is where i'm leaning or to the sun!

For HPS and the 600W bulb you said you used, can I use a dimmer with them? Until I can afford the extra electricty expenses, I want to be able to only use as much as I need, but I totally understand what everyone is saying that CFL really doesn't cut it. Everyone here seems to be telling me that.

Also, I have a big problem with heat. Not that I have too much heat - just the opposite = not enough heat. When I had these blue plant bulbs in my tent, the heat was closer to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. After someone told me that any light in the tent during the night cycle could bring about hermies, I took those blue plant bulbs out. But now the temp is usually down to between 60-64 degrees Fahrenheit. So, will using one of these HPS bulbs give me more heat too? Cuz it's super cool (cold) down in our basement during the Spring/Summer months, just cuz it's underground I assume.

Last edited by a moderator:
For HPS and the 600W bulb you said you used, can I use a dimmer with them? Until I can afford the extra electricty expenses, I want to be able to only use as much as I need, but I totally understand what everyone is saying that CFL really doesn't cut it. Everyone here seems to be telling me that.

Also, I have a big problem with heat. Not that I have too much heat - just the opposite = not enough heat. When I had these blue plant bulbs in my tent, the heat was closer to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. After someone told me that any light in the tent during the night cycle could bring about hermies, I took those blue plant bulbs out. But now the temp is usually down to between 60-64 degrees Fahrenheit. So, will using one of these HPS bulbs give me more heat too? Cuz it's super cool (cold) down in our basement during the Spring/Summer months, just cuz it's underground I assume.

ya that light has a dimmer right on the ballast and I used it all winter in temps like you are referring to and it produces some decent heat if it's in an enclosed area even with a 6" inline fan cut into the top of the side of my 2x4x4 cabinet. but it was used to veg for the winter obv not producing heat in lights out of flowering. Maybe flower at night to keep temps up if they will stay around 68 during the lights out / day time on their own in your area

I realized it's been 104 days from putting my sprouted Berry Ryder seed in the soil.

I know now that the breeders exaggerate how long it takes from seed to harvest (65 days for the Auto Seeds Berry Ryder) cuz they use optimal conditions, but is it weird that it's been 39 days longer than that and the trichomes are still clear? There's not one cloudy trichome of the lot.

12/12 lighting is not the only reason its taking too long....5k lumens per sq ft of light is needed (well, recommended anyways).

autos need atleast 18/6 to produce IMO......I ran mine 20/4...which looking back was a huge waste of money considering how many watts I was using (400W MH/HPS).

The autos will finish..thats what they are bread to do....but with a 12/12 and cfl lighting...it wont be nearly as good.

Those specs the breeder claim are prolly based on HID lighting with a 18/6 or 20/4 timing.

Also, 75* air temp is IMO opinion better that 60-64. I think your main issue is doing autos with 12/12 lighting.

That plant is STILL 2+ weeks away, easy. It looks healthy, most definately! Just needs to bulk up a bit more, and with the type of light you're running, you'll want to try to milk it for all she's worth :aok:

Now I got 500W going. I got 2 LEDs and 3 CFL bulbs in there. I got a 50W heat bulb going at the 12 hours of night and that one and the one on the timer going during the 12 hours of daylight. All bulbs are 2700K, but I don't know if that matters with autos.

But, I just checked the trichomes about 2 hours ago after not looking at them for two or three days and there is a lot more than there were before I added two more bulbs. I didn't do one heat bulb until 3 days ago and I didn't have both bulbs going until 2 days ago.

I'm gonna have to check the page on trichs again, cuz they still look fairly clear, but they're getting closer to opaque....I think. The microscope helps a lot, but this is why I gotta see a lot more pictures of trichs. But, as far as I can see, there isn't one amber trich on the lot. I do want to have some amber ones when I pull it.

Clear: Not ready, don't pull

clear-trichs-e1355925743141.jpg

Cloudy: Wait until they are ALL cloudy before pulling, and even this is early (technically)

trichs-milky.jpg

Amber: Once some of these start showing up, your flowers are starting to ripen. At this point, it's like a banana. Take it with however much amber (brown spots) you'd like. This takes a bit getting used to, to know.. but this is how it is :)

Picture%2019_2.png

Cool :) Thanks :)

I guess they look half-way between clear and cloudy then, but certainly not cloudy.

Cool :) Thanks :)

I guess they look half-way between clear and cloudy then, but certainly not cloudy.

That would've been precisely where about I assumed. Don't pull this plant for another 2 or more weeks, cool? :)

Totally being patient :)

I was gonna make some "hash" or whatever from the trimmings I made, especially since some of the lower branches had budding on them, but I gotta look that up. It's been drying for about 3 days. Almost crispy/crunchy :D - well, at least the leaves. I know there's some trichs in the buds, cuz when I used my flash on my digital camera, it reflected off the parts on the plate that were the buds (not major buds - pre-flowers I guess).

I wanted to wait until my Berry Ryder was all finished, but this is the next best thing...I guess. Been having some really bad lower back pain after starting a new job and I don't wanna be out of it from pain meds from my doc, if they'd even prescribe anything.

I think I'm gonna "bite the bullet" and pay the fee for medical. The only thing that sucks is that it's like $30 every single month to get another script. I guess I thought if someone has a medical card, then they would just get "refills" for a certain number of months before it ran out. Maybe that's how this place catches ya. They don't do refills so that you'll keep paying them every month for a new prescription. It'd be worth it tho, cuz neither my psychiatrist nor spinal therapist will prescribe for medical. I still would have to ask my general practitioner and gastroenterologist, but I'm just assuming that both of them will say no way. I still gotta have them transfer my documents and medical history to the place that I gotta apply though.

I was gonna make some "hash" or whatever from the trimmings I made, especially since some of the lower branches had budding on them, but I gotta look that up. It's been drying for about 3 days. Almost crispy/crunchy

Wait, you cut it while budding? Add another 3-5 days on for recovery and take a loss on yield :( Never cut it up during budding. Cutting should all be done in veg and if you have to nor more than the first 2 weeks of flowering (during "the stretch" )

I think I'm gonna "bite the bullet" and pay the fee for medical.

This may be the best most beneficial thing for your situation.. especially until you get your grow in full swing. :aok:

And dang, none of your docs will be on board? Rough :(

Yeah, still learning. As my signature says, "I'll always be a n00b" :)

So, I read about trimming, but not until late, or at least now I know it was late =/

I didn't see anything about when it should be trimmed, so I'm glad you brought that up Doc.

For the Berry Ryder, I never took off more than just leaves and not fan leaves. For the Blueberry Headband, I took off some small pre-flowers, so yeah =/

Speaking of the Blueberry Headband, was downstairs today and I was like, "*** is that smell?" I seriously thought a skunk had died in the area. I went outside and there was no odors outside. Went in my room and sure enough, it was in there. It's kind of hard to tell if it's the Headband or the Berry Ryder though, cuz they're both in there, just the Ryder in the tent. I got a filtered exhaust in there, but there is still light leak, so I'm sure some smell gets thru.

I had gotten one of those small plastic cans of organic stuff - can't think of the name of it now - the stuff that neutralizes odors in the air for grow rooms, made out of all organic ingredients. Maybe it was a combination of that and also the Ryder and the Headband. Headband is now 2 inches shorter than me))) So, 6'2" =) And it's still growing up. I think I'm gonna throw another 200 watts (equivalent LEDs) on there. I got 2 coming in from angles, but not one directly at the top. I might also use a 4 foot fluorescent 2-tube fixture to throw light on from the side [after I paint the wooden walls white]. I just removed a huge counter in that room about 1.5 weeks ago, so there's a ton more space, but now wooden walls are bare. Until I can get some mylar or whatever people use nowadays, I think white would be the best bet for better reflection. Would actually be cool if the outside of my tent was white too)))) Then it'd also reflect light off the sides of it))

Thanks for sticking thru thick and thin with me, Doc. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, my one doc, the psych, said that he would only ever prescribe it to people with glaucoma if he was licensed to prescribe it. My spinal therapist simply said, "We don't just give out prescriptions for marijuana." He said it in a friendly way though. I didn't push him any further. I just hope they don't give me crap when I ask them to transfer all my documents to this place.

Latest posts

Back