1200w

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically, yes. But it depends on the rating of the 110v-120v socket, whether its a 15 amp or 20 amp. Three 400's will suck about 12 amps as they run but spike higher when you first turn them on.

So hook up all three, turn them all on at once and see if you trip the breaker. If not, let them run about an hour and then put your hand on the wall outlet or timer and see how warm it is. If its tangibly warm to the touch it means you are near the danger zone. If its hot - you are making for pissed off electrons. You can do the same thing at the fuse box, just put your fingers on the top of the breaker/fuse and see how warm it is.

Opps - forgot to mention... You also can get a nifty little toy called a "Kill A Watt" (ebay for $25-$40) which is about the size of a timer but tracks your watts, volts and amps used. The 'deluxe' versions can record it over time and you can enter your Kw hour cost and it will tell you how much power you are using in $$. Kinda cool to mess with....

Its all about the amps - not the watts.

Can i use 1 fan to exhaust the heat from the lamps and odor?

If you are planning on plugging into an existing circuit, you are going to need to know the amerage of the circuit and what else is on it. You will also have fans that you are going to have to power. When you get that many watts, IMO, it is a really good idea to run a dedicated circuit just for your grow.

Thanx THG...when dealing with electricians, do i need to know what to ask for or should i let them choose the best option?

Smokewun said:
Thanx THG...when dealing with electricians, do i need to know what to ask for or should i let them choose the best option?

I would have a plausible cover story if I was going to call an electrician to run a new circuit, unless you are legal. Do you own your home? Where exactly is your grow? Do you think you will ever run more than 1200W of light (also as a side note, 400W lights take more than 400W)? Do you have an open spot in your breaker box to add another circuit?

Def run a dedicated circuit. Why risk it? I ran a 40 amp breaker, split, 2, 4-gang boxes with 15amp plugs. Ran 5k wattts, Dehumid, 4 fans, cloning room, etc. Cost $100 for electrical and I gave the guy on CL $150. Told him I am having a catering and need power to yard. Just not worth it. Can you imagine not being legal and a fire starting, you get it under control, but neighbor calls the 911? Oh snap.

I dont have a story yet. I do own my home. My closet is my grow space, 7x3x9. I might wanna run more watts in future. I see an open spot on my breaker box.

where is your breaker box located..have you identified the breaker for thew circuit you wanna run on ? the breaker will have the amp rating on it..7x3x9 sound like good numbers to grow in so i'm guessing 7' high? 9' long x 3' wide ? is that right ? i may be able to assist you in powering your room but i need more info....and yes you can easily cool 2 600w AND filter your air with 1 fan but it's gottas be a good one.

The box is located in the grow space. I have not identified the breaker. Numbers are 7L 3W 9H. I got 3 400w, not 2 600w. I have a 424cfm inline fan. Is that sufficient?

Latest posts

Back