In lieu of vegetable gardening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowl Destroyer

"Just one hit"
Reaction score
I noticed my neighbor was working on his vegetable garden the other day. It was the first day of good sunlight, so he was roto-tilling his garden (spelling?). His garden is a somewhat advanced setup with automatic timers and PVC watering system. Pretty good for a 70 year old farmer. The man's been growing his entire life. I decided that I would benefit from going over to talk to him about...whatever. No plan in mind.

We're BSing, talking about when's a good time to plant what, and what he's growing, versus what I should be growing. He offered me this simple, but somewhat profound piece of advice:

"When the weeds first start to come, prepare your garden. When they really start coming, go ahead and plant your vegetables. The weeds are a good way to tell when the weather is good..."

I know for sure, that I'll be using this method for both my vegetable garden, and my garden of weeds ;)

I'm going to start some seeds this week in dinner plates, "clam" style with wet papeer towls. After some vegging under CFLs, I'll transplant them to my garden!

sounds good to me im doing the same right now waitin till it dont get below 40 anymore then mine are going out

My vegetable garden is still under 2 feet of snow.
I do have my tomatoes and peppers started under florecents though.
I'll be moving them to a heated sunporch, then an unheated greenhouse till it's time to plant in the ground.
Outdoor gardening is a many step proccess when you live in the far north.

oh man, there's SO MUCH CLAY in my backyard! The PH is fine, but I may have to supplement with quality soil.

I'm still deciding what vegetable I want to grow. I want something hardy and tough, but can still ripen in northern weather.

Make raised beds. Just build a low (6 to 18 inches high) fence of boards and posts- and fill with decent soil.

First you need to dig up the clay in the bottom and mix it with sand and organic material. Build the fence, then add your good soil, steer manure, etc. (You are going to be amazed how much it takes! :eek: )

As for what to grow.. snow peas are easy and expensive in stores. Really fresh lettuce is wonderful -NOT iceberg- get other varieties for some vitamins and taste! My kids wouldn't touch green beans, but would eat the yellow and purple ones right off the bush (I prefer bush beans). Scarlet Runner beans are beautiful and edible. One hill each of zuchini and yellow crookneck squash is enough. A patch of onions will come back year after year- just pick off all of the flowers off your onions- except for the last 2 to flower, and let them re-seed your garden. Beets and chard are tough to kill. Good luck with your garden!

Granny :peace:

When you are weeding, just remember this: The difference between a weed and a valuable plant is: If it comes out of the ground easily, you just killed a valuable plant.:D

Bowl Destroyer said:
oh man, there's SO MUCH CLAY in my backyard! The PH is fine, but I may have to supplement with quality soil.

I'm still deciding what vegetable I want to grow. I want something hardy and tough, but can still ripen in northern weather.

I have a raised bed, 18". Every spring I trow in 2-3 inches of compost,till it in good,cover with black plastic (the heat from black plastic cooks the weed seeds, clear plastic will encourage weed grouth). Wait untill the temps are in the mid to upper 60's and start planting. I live in zone 4. If your gonna get much colder than that you could ask Santas Elves to do your weeding. Look form short season crops, cheat the weather with cold frames, temporary green houses, plant along the south side of structures, there's dozens of ways to bring in a successful garden.
Gardening,wheather it's food or weed can be addictive and accomplished, as well enjoyed anywhere. It's not only fun it's good for your health and cuts down on the expence of buying produce. Ther's also the added advantage of knowing exactly what chemicles did or didn't go into your food.
Best of luck with ALL of your gardening endeavors.And remember, your'e never closer to pure than when you do it for yourself.

I'm pretty excited, I got some good plans.

I started 8 seeds two weeks ago, but only 3 of them made it to seedling stage. I have more coming, so hopefully I can get at least 3 healthy females.

I have the seedlings about 2 feet away from a 400watt HPS with MH bulb. They're instantly doing better than how they were under the 2x20watt fluorescents...

Here's an update/ My youtube video isn't quite working out, seeing that I cannot format the filesize to be smaller!

The seedlings have (VERY SUDDENLY) become ill. They have massive curl, and their leaves are starting to get patches of brown.

My guess would b e an incorrect PH or root constrictions? Anything would help. Thanks guys!

bowldestroyer1.JPG

bowldestroyer2.JPG

UPDATE: I tested the PH of the seedling mix in the peat cubes. The seedlings that look the best have a PH in the higher "6" area....the seedling that are donig REALLY badly have a PH in the lower "6" area.

So with that said, I think I have a PH problem. Luckily, I have dolomite lime upstairs. I don't know how much to use though...
hXXp://www.lillymiller.com/labels/2007/SoilSweet-40_0605.pdf

For now, I'll add but just a rock or two of lime into each peat cube. I DONT wanna go over into alkaline territory, then I won't be able to get back down lol

We'll suck and see! Hopefully they get better soon

I wouls say you have your light to close and burnt them to a crisp. Or to much nutes if you have used nutes yet. but im guessing the light though.

my 400 watt HPS is 3.7 feet away from my seedlings...I don't think "hot" light is the problem.

High concentrations of nutes is the problem. PH is low, acidic. Probably because off too many nutes. I will follow the instructions.

Will post later, when things improve!
Thanks guys.

Everything's going well in the garden at this time of year. Got a dozen peas, a dozen green beans, couple of toms, but can't get the lettuce to sprout. On the other side I have three Aurora clones one week old and cloning another three today, and a three foot tall 50-50 hybrid growing well in a secluded corner of the garden.

Here i am, several months later. I decided to keep them indoor.

Didn't want them to be found.

What you guys think?

PS this should probably be moved to either Grow Journals, or indoor grows.

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

Ok, now I have time to make this a proper (not rushed!) post.

PIctured in the right are my 4 ladies. There are close ups of two random ones on the left. It's interesting to see how the buds turn out differently, because they are probably different strains.

originally I had 7. One t urned male very quickly, and the other two didn't come out of the closet until 2 weeks into flowering.

Come back: may 31st <---I predict this date for harvest ^^

Latest posts

Back