metal halide bulb? blue or the white?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZTEC

Medicinal Grower
Reaction score
I have a 400 watt metal halide setup but have two different bulbs. Before when I used the bulb with a more pronounced blue color it would stretch the plants probably due to the fertz at the time. I bought a bulb at a Home Depot that has a more white light. I was just wondering which bulb would be better at giving me a little more stretch between nodes. Right now with the blue bulb its getting very thick stems and staying very short and compacted with the Advanced Nutes I recently started using. By the looks of it the white light should give me some stretching being 4000k where the blue is 5500k and the HPS is 2200k? Does this seem correct? Just want to make sure before switch I guess?

ZTEC said:
I have a 400 watt metal halide setup but have two different bulbs. Before when I used the bulb with a more pronounced blue color it would stretch the plants probably due to the fertz at the time. I bought a bulb at a Home Depot that has a more white light. I was just wondering which bulb would be better at giving me a little more stretch between nodes. Right now with the blue bulb its getting very thick stems and staying very short and compacted with the Advanced Nutes I recently started using. By the looks of it the white light should give me some stretching being 4000k where the blue is 5500k and the HPS is 2200k? Does this seem correct? Just want to make sure before switch I guess?

You dont want stretching between nodes, use the 5500k for vegg and the 2200k for flower.

It sounds like there doin great.

you do if your growing the Super Short Oatmeal Bubba! yes yes i know it defies laws of physics

but a plant that is too stout short and bushy for its own good needs some training...;)

OGKushman said:
you do if your growing the Super Short Oatmeal Bubba! yes yes i know it defies laws of physics

but a plant that is too stout short and bushy for its own good needs some training...;)

I dont see why.
The tighter the nodes the better the buds, as in tighter and bigger.

i will tell U one thing.... i started a grow and for the first 2 weeks my timer was messed up.. only gave the plants 6 hours of light.. so it was basicly a 6/18 cycle for 2 weeks.. they stayed female and flowered but they stayed between 12 and 18 inches tall.. sucked...

the HD 5000 kelvin or 5500 kelvin will have some stretch to em, but I've grown quite well with them. Really you need to get at least 6500kelvin or even 10000kelvin which they do make but they tend to be pricey. I don't sell so i'll sacrifice a lil yeild for a cheaper bulb :eek:

I am growing nirvana bubblelicious.

The Nirvana Snow white I have under the bulb are still kind of stretching

Latest posts

Back