Autos that don't Auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Classic

Reaction score
I have three Nirvana short ryders that didn't auto. The weather here is nice and we have about 11.5 hours of daylight this time of year. So, I put them outside. They've been there for two weeks. They've been growing really well and are about 12 inches tall at 6 wks.

Unfortunately, I still can's see any sign of sex. Should I expect these to act like regular 12/12 strains at this point? The nodes are not alternating which, in a regular 12/12 would indicate sexual immaturity.

This is my first grow and I'm wondering what to expect. If I need to see alternating nodes, I think I'll put them back under the lights 20/4. May as well get as much vegetation as possible.

if they haven't shown at 6 weeks from seed i'd say run them like photo period plants.

They shld react like regular 12/12 strains....at least mine did. I actually cloned her and ran her three times...good smoke.

Hamster Lewis said:
They shld react like regular 12/12 strains....at least mine did. I actually cloned her and ran her three times...good smoke.

and these were sold to you as an auto flowering Strain?...if so Thats wacked

Ive seen a couple banks list them in their Autoflower section. But they arnt really autos. Maybe a small percent of them will actually do so.
Kind of like with the Sensi Ruderalis Indica/Sativa/Skunk brands. Some banks put them as autos just because of the Ruderalis in them.

I've got a few nirvana autos from their bad batch period. First seeds I ever bought. Lol. Anyway, I've got 5 of those short riders and I've got 2 of their blue mystics that didn't auto in flower now. Starting to plump up real nice. I'm just gonna treat all those nirvana autos as photo periods.

Nirvana has taken thier autos off the market as far as I can see, no listing of them xcept for one strain. I haven't had one auto for me yet, I'm running 4 at the moment and has shown preflowers for 4 weeks now with no buds developing. Running 18/6 for almost 8 weeks.

I had one of four of the short ryders that did auto. I'll put those three back under the lights until I see alternating nodes. It's been kind of a hassle to move them inside my shed during the cooler nights anyway. Maybe by the time they start to show sex, it will be warmer and I can just leave them outside. Sunlight should be close to 12/12 for the next couple of months.

Yep my bubblelicious is not flipping over..oh well, my buddy is going to take it and let it run its course..

Classic said:
I'll put those three back under the lights until I see alternating nodes. It's been kind of a hassle to move them inside my shed during the cooler nights anyway. Maybe by the time they start to show sex...

Wouldn't you know it. Four days under the lights and two of them are sexing. One looks like a male and I already know what to do with him. Another has hairs.

So, will this thing go ahead and flower under 20/4 like an auto should do or will I need to go to 12/12?

Sorry for all the questions. And I thought this would be easy...

Classic said:
Wouldn't you know it. Four days under the lights and two of them are sexing. One looks like a male and I already know what to do with him. Another has hairs.

So, will this thing go ahead and flower under 20/4 like an auto should do or will I need to go to 12/12?

Sorry for all the questions. And I thought this would be easy...

There is no way to know if it will auto unless you run it....if it does not start flowering in a week to 10 days then you might want to flip it to a 12/12 light schedule....and don't ever be sorry about asking questions bro...that is what this place is here for....

Mine nirvana autos that didn't auto are doing real good under 12/12. Let me snap a picture and I'll post it. I'd leave it 12/12. Brb with a pic.

Started 12/12 on the 15th, so, just over 2 weeks. First grow, and it's still a bit bushy. But it's buds, and it's smelling delicious.

DSC00681.JPG

DSC00682.JPG

DSC00683.JPG

Thanks to both of you for your responses!

I want bud sooner rather than later. I think I'll run them 12/12. My problem is that I only have one grow room so I'll have to move them outside. It's still cool enough at night that I just set them out and leave them. Oh well, that should only last a couple of weeks.

niteshft said:
Nirvana has taken thier autos off the market as far as I can see, no listing of them xcept for one strain. I haven't had one auto for me yet, I'm running 4 at the moment and has shown preflowers for 4 weeks now with no buds developing. Running 18/6 for almost 8 weeks.

Their AK-48 that I just bought? :eek::doh:

leafminer said:
Their AK-48 that I just bought? :eek::doh:

No, I've got Jock Horror I picked up befor they were taken off the thier market.

The AK48s were germinated just over 4 weeks ago so what have I got?
2 males, one thrown away, the other just beginning to drop pollen. But it also shows female preflowers . . . :confused:
Of the remaining three, one is showing a few pistils (female), another might be male or female, and the third one looks like a typical small indica, shows no preflowers, is growing vigorously, I don't think it is going to auto . . . so far I am not impressed.

But it also shows female preflowers
:doh: male leaning hermie from the sounds of it. Ruderalis.....crazy beast those things are. Wierdest geno expression i have ever seen came from autos. Which is to be expected in successive generational breeding of auto's. From most reports I read around, ruderalis will end up dominating most of the time. Ruderalis does not mean it's autoflowering. autoflowering is a trait exhibited in certain ruderalis.

Classic said:
Thanks to both of you for your responses!

I want bud sooner rather than later. I think I'll run them 12/12. My problem is that I only have one grow room so I'll have to move them outside. It's still cool enough at night that I just set them out and leave them. Oh well, that should only last a couple of weeks.

If you put them outside, I believe that they will keep vegging rather than start flowering as our days are still getting longer. It could be the end of Aug-middle of Sept before they are done if they keep vegging until the summer solstice.

I think his light hours are a little less than mine, which means he's closer to the equator. Now, I'm at 13.5 hours (increasing to a max of 14.5) and germinated all the current plants at about 13 hours, and:

1. The autos haven't flipped except for two males, possibly hermie.
At nearly 5 weeks, two of the other three are developing into typical short-type indicas while the other is showing female preflowers. But there's no way I can tell with the other two.

Against that, the Kaliman Cheese was germinated only 1 week before the autos, it has a 10 week flower period, it is not an auto, and yet I have three confirmed females, one in flower, one that I am 90% sure is male, and two unknown but large plants.

It seems to me that the 'auto' capability of AK48 is more in the minds of Nirvana marketing people than it is in the pot.

Latest posts

Back