n00b question about trichs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64yoda

n00b
Reaction score
I hope these pics show up.

This is not only my first grow period, but also my first auto, growing alongside a photoperiod started as seed at the same time. This is called Berry Ryder, by Auto Seeds.

IMG_0687_zpseywk7lnh.jpg

IMG_0681_zpsbckbu5kq.jpg

I have a n00b question about trichomes. I always thought trichomes were the hairs that started out clear, then turned milky, then eventually amber, and so on, but when I Googled "trichomes", I got a ton of photos of those things on the leaves and even stems, leaves of which I have, but not stems that I can see.

The things I seem to have a ton of that make up the most of my buds (at 58 days out of a supposed 65 seed to harvest grow time) are these things that look like thick milky hairs. And now it looks like some of these hairs, at least not at the top bud, but on ones below it, are starting to turn amber or almost red and certainly aren't as "thick". Are these "trichomes"? Like I said, a n00b question, but since I'll always be a n00b as stated in my sig, and since I couldn't find an answer on Google, please let me know so I'm not giving the wrong names to the wrong things. Thanks.

IMG_0688_zpsajsj8pkb.jpg

IMG_0689_zpsn9i9lwck.jpg

IMG_0690_zpssytg5hs3.jpg

no, the hairs that turn from white to reddish are called pistils. the trichomes are those tiny sticky white crystals that you see all over buds and sweet leaves. their change in color can only be observed with a good magnifier or mini microscope

Okay, gotcha. Is there any THC or cannabinoids in the pistols? Or is it pretty negligent, kinda like a lot of the leaves and stems?

Those pistols are what says i am a female,,ifen ya see little balls instead of the Pistols,,well that be a Male. And ya never want to see both,,that would be a Hermi,,which is bad.
That strain deff looks like Sativa. Yummy

Triches always looked like little Clear Mushrooms to me,,very pretty.

Here is a pic of the trich's on my plant today....you can clearly see she is mostly clear with some cloudy coming on....hope this is helpful :)

You rock Kraven. nice shot.

The first time i took my loupe and looked at trichomes i was in heaven. They are beautiful and start out clear then go cloudy then with the loupe you can see the amber start to fill from the bottom and goes into the "head" of the mushroom. Get yourself a loupe to enjoy this show. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Microscope-Jeweler-Currency-Magnifier-Adjustable/dp/B00AQAANDS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1426603558&sr=8-9&keywords=loupe[/ame]

The first time i took my loupe and looked at trichomes i was in heaven. They are beautiful and start out clear then go cloudy then with the loupe you can see the amber start to fill from the bottom and goes into the "head" of the mushroom. Get yourself a loupe to enjoy this show. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQAANDS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks Rose, remember the thread about the new dig microscope on amazon and i got to thinking i wonder if I put my cam up to my loop would it be close and it was, I can take awesome pic's with my phone though my loupe...was cool to figure out and even better to see the results....gosh I'm high :48: Bet someone else has figured this out and I'm just making an a$$ of myself :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a pic of the trich's on my plant today....you can clearly see she is mostly clear with some cloudy coming on....hope this is helpful :)

Kraven, that's insane the magnification you got on that shot.

The first time i took my loupe and looked at trichomes i was in heaven. They are beautiful and start out clear then go cloudy then with the loupe you can see the amber start to fill from the bottom and goes into the "head" of the mushroom. Get yourself a loupe to enjoy this show. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQAANDS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Rose, I checked it out. Can this be attached to a point-and-shoot camera. I have a Canon PowerShot Elph. I'm assuming the lens would have to be out in order for it to attach [if it even could]. Cuz that's a darn good price.

Thanks Rose, remember the thread about the new dig microscope on amazon and i got to thinking i wonder if I put my cam up to my loop would it be close and it was, I can take awesome pic's with my phone though my loupe...was cool to figure out and even better to see the results....gosh I'm high :48: Bet someone else has figured this out and I'm just making an a$$ of myself :)

Kraven, so far the most I've done is gotten one of those Sherlock Holmes magnifying glasses :D from Walgreens with a more powerful lens toward the bottom. I haven't smoked for almost a month getting ready for a possible job drug test (since I don't even know if they drug test), but I know what you mean. Even before I got that Sherlock Holmes lens, when I would smoke at night, I'd open up my tent and spend what seemed like an hour just staring at my two plants. Sucks that I can't get high now when my one plant is nearly one week away from being ready to harvest :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Those pistols are what says i am a female,,ifen ya see little balls instead of the Pistols,,well that be a Male. And ya never want to see both,,that would be a Hermi,,which is bad.
That strain deff looks like Sativa. Yummy

Triches always looked like little Clear Mushrooms to me,,very pretty.

Hopper, I wonder if it is a hybrid now that you mention it. It's called Berry Ryder and I thought it said genetics were part of DJ Short's Blueberry, but I can't remember for sure now. I'll have to check the website again.

Becuz of my medical issues, I was always worried about smoking fairly pure Sativas and/or Satvia-dominant hybrids cuz of people saying they caused anxiety in anxiety-sensitive individuals.

Do you think that people who are [in general] used to smoking any variety more often are less likely to have problems with anxiety from a Sativa? Or do you think it really depends more on the person's mindset? Either way, it doesn't bother me. I'd like to try to grow a more Sativa dominant one. It's just that I know they grow taller than Indica, even if they were crossed with a Ruderalis I assume.

The Blueberry Headband I'm growing is getting insanely taller than I thought it would. There was no info on the height or size when I got the seed as a freebie from Humboldt Seed Organization. It's about 6 inches away from touching the top of my tent, which is 63 inches tall. I'm gonna have to think of something really fast in terms of a 2nd tent or disinfect the heck out of my grow room and then grow it outside the tent until it starts flowering, cuz I have a feeling it's gonna surpass the height of the tent in the end :D

I found this,but it says it has fat leaves as it should because its Indica dominant strain. The leaves on your plant looks skinny to me. Eather way,,looking good to me.
As for smoking Sativas,,i have always liked Sativas. Although there is one Sativa i cant Smoke cause it messes with my heart,,,its called GREEN CRACK and it causes my heart to flutter. Me no likey. Other then that ive never had a problem with ANY SATIVA.

Berry Ryder Automatic

Berry Ryder is an original Blueberry and Auto #1 cross. This strain was achieved by selecting the best parent from over 25 possibilities of the original cup winning Blueberry. Both extremely resinous and exuding a rich, sweet, berry aroma, the resulting indica dominant auto produces fat indica leaves and dense nuggety buds. Berry Ryder is our latest super auto which easily competes with non-autoflowering strains in terms of flavour, resin production and THC content. The plant stays short at approximately 30-60cm in soil though can get larger in hydroponic or similar setups. The Blueberry genes add increased yield potential whilst maintaining the strong medical effect and legendary berry taste. The plant can turn blue especially under colder night time temperatures which it can cope with easily. Ready in as little as 60 days from seed.

Kraven, do the pistols eventually change color too? Or is that just the trichomes that eventually start changing color?

I read too that it's more of a heady-high if harvested (when ready) but early when trichs are white, but more of a body-high if harvested (when ready) but later when trichs are darker. But that it's impossible to get a sativa to smoke like an indica from harvest time and the same goes for trying to get an indica to smoke like a sativa from harvest time.

Not sure if any of that is true or not.:vap-Bong_smoker:

I found this,but it says it has fat leaves as it should because its Indica dominant strain. The leaves on your plant looks skinny to me. Eather way,,looking good to me.
As for smoking Sativas,,i have always liked Sativas. Although there is one Sativa i cant Smoke cause it messes with my heart,,,its called GREEN CRACK and it causes my heart to flutter. Me no likey. Other then that ive never had a problem with ANY SATIVA.

Berry Ryder Automatic

Berry Ryder is an original Blueberry and Auto #1 cross. This strain was achieved by selecting the best parent from over 25 possibilities of the original cup winning Blueberry. Both extremely resinous and exuding a rich, sweet, berry aroma, the resulting indica dominant auto produces fat indica leaves and dense nuggety buds. Berry Ryder is our latest super auto which easily competes with non-autoflowering strains in terms of flavour, resin production and THC content. The plant stays short at approximately 30-60cm in soil though can get larger in hydroponic or similar setups. The Blueberry genes add increased yield potential whilst maintaining the strong medical effect and legendary berry taste. The plant can turn blue especially under colder night time temperatures which it can cope with easily. Ready in as little as 60 days from seed.

Yeah, Hopper, that's the one and I remember those words too. lol. I guess if it's ready IN AS LITTLE AS 60 days from seed, it means it could take quite a bit longer. I hope mine takes longer. There's still a lot of bud growth I'd like to see on it. However, I totally missed where it said that it was a super auto OR I saw it the first time but didn't know what a super auto was at the time. Super autos seem to take longer than a regular 60 days and also seem to tend to grow bigger than 30 - 60cm (12-24 inches) if what I've read elsewhere on super autos is correct. It also just seemed that the super autos that I did look at had characteristics of taller plants, higher yield, and longer times to wait from seed to harvest.

Last edited:

Thank you for the picture. I thought I had all cloudy. Glad I'm waiting for some amber. Thank you.:vap-leafy_wave:

Latest posts

Back