Brix's hydro LED grow tutorial

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think would be the best plan?

I think you have the best plan. I'm not as experienced as PJ, but especially with Hydroton, I think you've got a great process sorted out. :aok:

I'm using hydroton, I'm not opposed to bottom feeding, I was just worried about how to get the water level up high enough to reach the taproot when its first emerging, I don't want it to dry out and die, I hear what your saying about keeping it too wet. What do you think would be the best plan?

Looking at the setup I assume you are going to run several plants and net this out?

Do you know how many plants you are going to run?

How high are the sides of your tray as opposed to the pots you plan to grow in?

Is your heart stuck on using clay pebbles to grow in?

Once I know these answers I can better answer your question.

Personally I like more of a wicking types medium for EBB and Flow. You really never want to water up to the soil/media surface no matter which product you choose which is why I would steer you away a bit from doing so with seedlings.

Using a wicking type of media like Rock wool, or Coco coir chips I would use over Clay, and I used it for 20 years.

Using the coco chips also almost eliminates the concern of water born issues like Pythium due to nutrient tempeture highs most seen is bottom reservoir type setups. It's also about half the cost of clay, and can easily become mulch on the garden when you are done using it.

I am running a little setup now that is similar to yours only a bit smaller at 2x3 using this technique.

Check out the results in my GG4 thread listed in my banner area below.

If you have questions, ask away.
:48:

Yeah, Brix.. after my bit of experience, it's good for DWC, but as far as flood and drain of any type, it's seeming COCO is where it's at.

I'm going to be trying PJ's way, with Coco Coir chunk, and I have a feeling (after using coco in the past) that what I'm about to setup is going to be awesome. I do not think it would be quite as awesome in Hydroton. Great for DWC.. that's it. :(

I know it's not much of a loss since you've already bought some, but you can change up right now and go the COCO root. (I would agree with chunk.. PlantIt brand seems great) :aok:

I'm riding along with ya Brix, good luck PJ nor Doc will steer ya wrong.

Looking at the setup I assume you are going to run several plants and net this out?

Do you know how many plants you are going to run?

Once I know these answers I can better answer your question.

Personally I like more of a wicking types medium for EBB and Flow. You really never want to water up to the soil/media surface no matter which product you choose which is why I would steer you away a bit from doing so with seedlings.

Using a wicking type of media like Rock wool, or Coco coir chips I would use over Clay, and I used it for 20 years.

Using the coco chips also almost eliminates the concern of water born issues like Pythium due to nutrient tempeture highs most seen is bottom reservoir type setups. It's also about half the cost of clay, and can easily become mulch on the garden when you are done using it.

I am running a little setup now that is similar to yours only a bit smaller at 2x3 using this technique.

Check out the results in my GG4 thread listed in my banner area below.

If you have questions, ask away.
:48:
QUOTE=P Jammers;930129]Looking at the setup I assume you are going to run several plants and net this out? Yes

Do you know how many plants you are going to run? 6

Tray is 4.5 in. Pots are 4.5 in.

Is your heart stuck on using clay pebbles to grow in? No, I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah, the Hydroton can't hold microbes... I didn't realize this when I started. Now, I'm going to be using Coco chunk and adding Mykos to it even. :)

I'm not feeling too bright, that's for sure:rofl: I got my seeds shipped discreetly through the attitude. I used the random gift option. They sent me a don't tell. Lol I opened it, rifled through the box looking for my seeds! They weren't in there! I was so ticked, I threw the stupid thing in the garbage and figured oh well, customs must've gotten them. Then I remembered I'm a stoner, and I shouldn't just give up that easy. So I fished it out of the trash. And looked a little closer. There was a way do not tell hang from, and bingo! There were my seeds! Lol. True story :aok:

your not supposed to tell about the stealth............

If you really want to be effective, go back.. both G13 and you.. and edit out those details.

The edit button.. find and use! :)

I am going to suggest running a smart pot setup with Coco coir chips. I am guessing you could run a 3x3 with 9 and have a very even spacing. You could run 6 as well which is what I do in my test room.

I am not sure of your goal, but I certainly see no issues getting an LB out of that 3x3 run perfectly. Of course you'll need the right strain to do it with.

This what I would use for a grow bag or the like. Does not have to be exact but a good size for that depth of tray and will fit your numbers no problem.

Using this setup you can also use your dripper rig in the beginning in case you don't wick far enough up, but I imagine you'd still be fine. That you'll have to experiment with.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Pots-2-Gallon-Soft-Sided-Container/dp/B002JUW7L4/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429916959&sr=1-1&keywords=2+gallon+fabric+pot[/ame]

There are a few brands of Coco Chips out. I'd say most places will want to sell you the fine pith that everyone seems to amend, but ignore what most think.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-JSCC2-Organic-Planting-Plants/dp/B0049XH0FM/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429917497&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=cococoir+chips[/ame]
or
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/FibreDust-037-Coco-Mulch/dp/B00DQ4P6YW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429917558&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=fiberdust+coco+chips[/ame]

I use both with great success and never wash the stuff at all. You expand it in a Rubbermaid trashcan or the like, and within an hour your planting in it.

You will also need some Epsom salts to boost the mag and sulfur content for the first 5 or so weeks, or two and a half nute changeouts.

Feeding under your LED's is not going to be like it was using HPS. The positive is you're gong to save not only power, but money on food as well.

If you decide to go this direction hit me up, and I'll walk you through a run so you crush it first time out.

EDIT: forgot one point I also wanted to make is you should hold off on CO2 until you are sure the food for these strains is good. One little mess up and your frying plants in mere hours under LED's.

Feeding under your LED's is not going to be like it was using HPS. The positive is you're gong to save not only power, but money on food as well.

Mother of god, listen to this Brix!!! If you check my entire recent journal, you'll notice I figured this out the hard way! Cut your feeding to half strength easily

your not supposed to tell about the stealth............

I am going to suggest running a smart pot setup with Coco coir chips. I am guessing you could run a 3x3 with 9 and have a very even spacing. You could run 6 as well which is what I do in my test room.

I am not sure of your goal, but I certainly see no issues getting an LB out of that 3x3 run perfectly. Of course you'll need the right strain to do it with.

This what I would use for a grow bag or the like. Does not have to be exact but a good size for that depth of tray and will fit your numbers no problem.

Using this setup you can also use your dripper rig in the beginning in case you don't wick far enough up, but I imagine you'd still be fine. That you'll have to experiment with.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JUW7L4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There are a few brands of Coco Chips out. I'd say most places will want to sell you the fine pith that everyone seems to amend, but ignore what most think.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049XH0FM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
or
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQ4P6YW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use both with great success and never wash the stuff at all. You expand it in a Rubbermaid trashcan or the like, and within an hour your planting in it.

You will also need some Epsom salts to boost the mag and sulfur content for the first 5 or so weeks, or two and a half nute changeouts.

If you decide to go this direction hit me up, and I'll walk you through a run so you crush it first time out.

EDIT: forgot one point I also wanted to make is you should hold off on CO2 until you are sure the food for these strains is good. One little mess up and your frying plants in mere hours under LED's.

Ok so I already have 1 gallon, 5 gallon, and 7 gallon smart pots! Lol could I use a 1 gallon? If hate to have to buy more 2 gallon if I don't have to. I already bought a bag of plant it hydroton, but I'll just take it back and swap it out for the coco choir chips.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back