2 Questions about my grow, Sealing grow room and Environment control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EsC420PoT

Hydro Indoor Grower
Reaction score
Question 1:
since my grow is in a garage I am worried about the temps certain times. They will def change because
in the summer it gets super damn hot, and in the winter it gets freezeing cold. As it is right now...
My question is, how can i stabalize all this automatically? Because since it's in a garage, I can't be going in there
every 12-40 min... I need to set something up to where i can have a stable environment regardless of the conditions outside.
I imagine i'd have to hook up a heater and A/C unit, but the maiin thing im asking is how can i set those up to come on
at the desired temps? Thanks

Questions 2:
when making my grow tent, i plan on doing the frame outa wood planks and then covering every inch in panda film.
Now what i'm curious about, is how i can use 1 sheet to cover a certian porportion of the frame, but when
I apply another section of panda film and over lap the previous sheet of film, it'll won't be airtight... Not sure if that
makes any sence to you guys? trying to explain the best i can. Like ill have it fastended up, but what can i use to secure the secont sheet
onto the previous sheet and so on and so forth in order to make sure the room is airtight and light tight? Any suggestions? Something like glue that wont effect the grow?

Anything will help guys, thanks.

Get a room controller like primair room controller about £80 or better still ecotechnics evolution room controller about £180 which will turn on fans and heaters when you have set the desired temps/rh/airflow.
Dont know what panda film is do you mean mylar either way just overlap on the part of the wood and staple down.
T4

panda film is plastic that is black on one side and white on the other

Thermostats can control when heating and cooling equipment comes on.

You can overlap and roll your seams together or tape all the seams.

:yeahthat: or make sure the seams are at support boards and overlap accordingly. Airtight isn't an issue as long as it's not letting light in...unless you're using CO2 lol

Are you going to make a tent that is only big enough for the plants to go in or something big ejnough for you to go inside it to work? I have 2 cabinets that I built that are only big enough for the plants to go in so I have to stand at the door to work on them. The utility building(shed) that I am in isn't very tight so the temps swing with the outside environ. I now widh I had made a room within the shed so that I could go in and work and maintain a better controlled environment.

I intend to go back and insulate the whole building so that I can maintain more of a ballanced temp and rh within. That way when I open my cabs to work, I am not letting 35*f air blow into them, as they are insulated and heated for winter.

If I were you, I don't know how much money you have but I would build a basic 2x4" frame room and get the silverback insulation boards and wrap the whole thing with those on the inside and out. You can build a decent size(8'x10') room within like that for a few hundred. That will allow you to better control the environment within. The garage will maintain a certain level of temps when you start venting heat from the growroom, and that will act as a buffer for the growroom itself. If you build it off of one corner of the garage you will only need 2 walls built and you can put a small AC in one of the outer walls at a later time. Just an idea for you :)

Well planned and good post, Hush! If you do build it in a corner using existing walls, insulate the walls before putting up the other walls (and insulate them as well if possible).

Keep in mind ventilation should be taken into consideration when setting up a room.

Definitely have to make sure those outer walls are insulated and sealed against bugs, smells and light leaks. The good thing is that the insulation boards are pretty cheap so can cut it up and put between the 2"x4" studs on the outer walls for extra insulation value, and line the inner walls with the reflective side(about 92%reflective I think) of it and then you don't have to worry about applying any other reflective film.

If you have access to wood and aren't against a fireplace, put in a potbelly stove. That'll provide fairly cheap heat through the winter, but it's a trick to regulate until you get a feel for it. Just be safe...

:yeahthat: That would make things much easier...but would require a furnace for the garage!

EsC420PoT said:
Question 1:
since my grow is in a garage I am worried about the temps certain times. They will def change because
in the summer it gets super damn hot, and in the winter it gets freezeing cold. As it is right now...
My question is, how can i stabalize all this automatically? Because since it's in a garage, I can't be going in there
every 12-40 min... I need to set something up to where i can have a stable environment regardless of the conditions outside.
I imagine i'd have to hook up a heater and A/C unit, but the maiin thing im asking is how can i set those up to come on
at the desired temps? Thanks

Questions 2:
when making my grow tent, i plan on doing the frame outa wood planks and then covering every inch in panda film.
Now what i'm curious about, is how i can use 1 sheet to cover a certian porportion of the frame, but when
I apply another section of panda film and over lap the previous sheet of film, it'll won't be airtight... Not sure if that
makes any sence to you guys? trying to explain the best i can. Like ill have it fastended up, but what can i use to secure the secont sheet
onto the previous sheet and so on and so forth in order to make sure the room is airtight and light tight? Any suggestions? Something like glue that wont effect the grow?

Anything will help guys, thanks.

Don't use panda bro. Too thin to be of any "temp" control in a garage in cali.
You gotta think that your garage will be, like you said, either darn cold, or crazy hot.

If you are allready framing in a set up, why not use drywall? Much better. Pretty cheap too. Drywall and then caulk it up. Then cut any holes you need for venting, electrical. Depending on how you framed, you could use a little insulation too.

I am a FIRM believer that the room must be designed right to even have a fighting chance.

I understand costs too, and if you are limited, at least take a look at the cost of usuing drywall.

Controlling the temps all depend on what equipment you use. How big of an area are you going to use?

Heating is no issue, as the lights will provide that, I have never seen a use for a heater, there are a number of ways to control heat with your light(s).

Cooling...AC...no other way around it. I see you are from da Bay, so ya, it gets cooking.
Also a number of ways to control a AC, just depends on what you have.

Heat is a necessity for me also. Even the closet off my master bedroom/bathroom needs auxiliary heat during the winter. I am working on connecting 2 separate spaces about 20 feet apart running opposite so that one can heat the other. The small space is on 24/7 right now so am exhausting into living space. I also haven't quite decided how I want to run it and I still need a couple of register boots...sure would be easier if they were next to each other....

I guess I'm spoiled...never below 32 really.

I have my exhaust on a thermostat that only lets it get to 67 then stops bringing in cold air. My dehumidifiers allways generate heat, so it never gets too cold.
I think if he kept his exhaust on a thermo, he would be ok. His only issue would be too cool during lights off, so you could shut off the intake/exhaust, as you do not need fresh air during lights off.

Maybe ya dont need fresh air during lights off but humidity would then rocket as the plants transpire and when in flower aint too good a thing to have going on.
T4

IDK, I turn off all ventilation when lights off. I do leave fans going inside, but nothing venting.

NorCalHal said:
I guess I'm spoiled...never below 32 really.

I have my exhaust on a thermostat that only lets it get to 67 then stops bringing in cold air. My dehumidifiers allways generate heat, so it never gets too cold.
I think if he kept his exhaust on a thermo, he would be ok. His only issue would be too cool during lights off, so you could shut off the intake/exhaust, as you do not need fresh air during lights off.

LOL--I guess you are spoiled. I am running a 1000W in 19.5 sq ft without the glass, with the exhaust fan at 1/2 power and my space stays a pretty constant 70-74. If I do not have auxiliary heat in the space at night, the temps would drop to 50 or so.

I'd say if you're growing in the winter you can get away with no AC. Just aircool those lights and have some BIG inline fans going during lights on. If you have a dehumidifier, run it a little at night. It will produce enough heat to prevent it getting below 60.

And as Hal said, a well designed growroom will eliminate so many headaches down the road, BIG headaches that can't be resolved with a couple bong hits lol

sup yall my bad been without internet for a while and had to put the construction on hold for a bit due to school work and work. But, we now have the frame built and i'm going back there tomorrow to get the rest of it set up. Ill for sure be taking pictures and posting tomorrow. Might put in a new thread tho. By the way thanks to all who contributed in answering my questions, Plenty of help! WOW!

NorCalHal said:
Don't use panda bro. Too thin to be of any "temp" control in a garage in cali.
You gotta think that your garage will be, like you said, either darn cold, or crazy hot.

If you are allready framing in a set up, why not use drywall? Much better. Pretty cheap too. Drywall and then caulk it up. Then cut any holes you need for venting, electrical. Depending on how you framed, you could use a little insulation too.

I am a FIRM believer that the room must be designed right to even have a fighting chance.

I understand costs too, and if you are limited, at least take a look at the cost of usuing drywall.

Controlling the temps all depend on what equipment you use. How big of an area are you going to use?

Heating is no issue, as the lights will provide that, I have never seen a use for a heater, there are a number of ways to control heat with your light(s).

Cooling...AC...no other way around it. I see you are from da Bay, so ya, it gets cooking.
Also a number of ways to control a AC, just depends on what you have.

i got a 5x5 wood built frame. Using a 1k watt HPS, (havn't gotten yet) but planning on getting something a bit smaller than 400 CMF intake fan,and a 400 CMF fan for exhaust with a BIG *** (like more than half the size of me) carbon filter attached, couple osculating fans and posibly a resivior in the corner (if i got the room). thats basically the whole room. For now anyways. I'm talking to my friend and considering puttin up some dry wall to help insulate and then putting panda on the inside, (i gotta use panda walways have always will, i love it!!) What you think?

Latest posts

Back