Comparing hid to led lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes,,but are you pulling 3 pounds per Light?

No one runs LED commercially? Well I'm not getting in ya'lls pissing match. But that is a false statement

That is a very inefficient grow...for many reasons other then the LED's.
It is probably from the 1450 defunct Marijuana cultivation businesses that failed in Colorado last year.

Yes..Co had 1900 licensed cultivation companies start up since legalization...1450 have been put out of business. Commercial growing is harder then ANYONE thinks.

It's not my grow umbra. It is a dispensary grow in SF that a friend works at. Can't give you the details on it, but just the blanket statement that they aren't being used in large operations is false. This is a large warehouse operation using BML fixtures.

Haha...I posted before I read this.

Again...very inefficient grow imho. Believe...just because a dispensary runs a grow doesn't mean they know what they are doing and producing lb's of Dank.

I take my statement back Sir...you found 1 "pro" grow that uses LED's.
I can show you 100 to one that don't use LED. Maybe the other 99 of us are crazy.

Not to stir up a stink, but I use LEDs and love them. I use HPS and they work great as well. But I don't have to change the bulbs every 6 to 12 months with LEDs.
LEDs with the right spectrums are just as, or more productive, watt for watt than HIDs. Another mistake people make is buying a single powerful unit and trying to get even uniform coverage. Multiple smaller units spread over the same area will give better coverage and allow the lights to be kept closer.
Believe me, I've bleached a few buds getting them too close to my Lumigrow 325s and 650. I had to learn it wasn't an issue of heat, like the HPS, it was light intensity that caused the problems.
But my newer arrays which are 3' x 4' and 550 watts each can be kept within inches with no problems.
And my plants finish a good week sooner under the LEDs. That's one of the biggest reasons I use them. Just my experience.
Peace, Superman

I do agree that LED's can grow some great herb. I just think that they are not the way to go commercially. I cover a 5' x 20' table with 3 1000w DE's.

And yes...I have to change my bulb AND hood every 12 months at a cost of $110.

Hal, Why are you changing the hoods?
I understand about the bulbs, but the hood confuses me?

Gavita recommends that you change the hood on their units every year. The heat degrades them and they lose reflectivity.

They are only like $15, so not a big issue, real easy to change.

I do agree that LED's can grow some great herb. I just think that they are not the way to go commercially. I cover a 5' x 20' table with 3 1000w DE's.

And yes...I have to change my bulb AND hood every 12 months at a cost of $110.
Yeah, commercially, high dollar LEDs are a huge investment in something that 'might' and 'might not' make it long term.
I believe that most larger grow opps use LEDs, when the use them, as supplemental lighting in large greenhouses. They say they can dial in just what their particular crop wants. Or add to their HIDs for the same effect.
But the new opps that run nothing but the upper end LEDs have either been around a while and doing very well or, got a great deal on the lighting with an agreement to do the commercials and positive reviews.
Just my take on it.
Peace, Superman

Cool, learnt something new today..
Thanks Hal..

Gavita recommends that you change the hood on their units every year. The heat degrades them and they lose reflectivity.

They are only like $15, so not a big issue, real easy to change.

just look around you---fed outlawed incandescent light bulbs---although i only grew 1 full cycle with 1 type of light---i believe i gave them a fair shake---they don't fit into my goals for a successful harvest---although many peeps love them, are growing great herb, saving $$$, all of it---guess my measuring standards a just a bit different---whether i need to improve my skill set or the technology just isn't there yet---i now stick with what i am familiar and have had some success with---that is the HPS for flower and the T5 blues for veg---green mojo to you LED trail blazers :watchplant:

how did those T-5 HO bulbs that you bought last year work out? eyelux or whatever they were.

how did those T-5 HO bulbs that you bought last year work out? eyelux or whatever they were.

as recommended by the shop so as not to burn the plants---i put 2 into an 8 bulb T5 light for veg and did not notice any difference---maybe if the bulbs were used in conjunction with a flower spectrum they may have performed a bit better---i wouldn't recommend them for veg

to all those whom wonder why people bust pjs chops, its because he is known and disliked. the past will always get ya.
and I hope monkey aint over here, another pollen chucker

to all those whom wonder why people bust pjs chops, its because he is known and disliked. the past will always get ya.
and I hope monkey aint over here, another pollen chucker

I know 2 monkeys. Monkeymonk840 and Monkey@Zoo, would you be speaking of either? Neither post here.

now whos gonna call nch a liar. He knows his ****,,,and has proof that nobody growing to get the biggest bang for thier buck is using leds,,period. Glad to see someone with real experience telling the truth instead of blowing smoke up ppls ***.
And im not just talking about pj. I have seen monsters grown ith those des,,so why would anybody use leds that cannot compare with those results no matter how you paint it.
Can you grow bud with leds,,,of course. You can grow bud with cfls and t5s,,but they do not compare with hids. But to each his own. Its your money and your time,,do what your comfortable with,,but dont make rediculous claims. Personally i love leds for lighting my house and my smart tv, and they make great flashlights. And maybe someday they will be able to catch up with des,,but they have along ways to go. And that is a fact.
can anyone say kiss ***....................and that is a fact......

Must be nice to have a choice !--- Us Southern Outlaw growers got to hide --Watch our power usage and over our shoulder all the time !--- So I use the Mars 300 !--- Maybe one day we can come out the shadows !-and learn to grow like the big boys --We do the best we can with what we got to work with !-- I get caught with so much as a roach --I go to jail !--

I'm tired of the "I'm in an outlaw state" argument. If you're willing to go to jail to grow the herb, and every outlaw grower is, you should be willing to relocate to a legal state. You say you have family where you're at? So did I, but let me tell you, I would rather be 14 hours away from family living in Colorado instead of an hour away and in jail! Nobody is forcing you to stay where you are and risk your freedom.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

can anyone say kiss ***....................and that is a fact......

:rofl:

Ouch,,,Internet balls. Sorry,,didnt mean to get your panies in a wad saying something good about a Forum Member. By the way,,what are you,,, 16? You still live with Mommy?
And you went all the way back to Jan to give me crap,,,you really must be bored.

Be driven from my home without a fight ?--- Sounds kinda chicken sh** to me !---If U stand for nothing U fall for anything !
Bite Me !--

Be driven from my home without a fight ?--- Sounds kinda chicken sh** to me !---If U stand for nothing U fall for anything !
Bite Me !--
No, you're right, jail is much better.

You can't provide a valid argument for your reason so you jump to insults?
Seems to me like you have some growing up to do.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back