Diy automated watering system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me its easier to use a timer. That would probably work just fine but it would have to be tuned for the best results, just like a timer does. The one good thing about it though is as your plants' water needs change, the sensor will take care of adjusting for it, rather than having to reset the timer.
The weak point there however, is the sensor will go in 1 plant pot but if the system serves multiple plants then you have to be sure that they are all drying out at the same rate, or move the sensor to an "average use" plant, and then adjust it so that the plant that uses the most water (ie. because it is closest to a fan and dries quicker, or is a strain that drinks more) doesn't get too dry between waterings.

For me its easier to use a timer. That would probably work just fine but it would have to be tuned for the best results, just like a timer does. The one good thing about it though is as your plants' water needs change, the sensor will take care of adjusting for it, rather than having to reset the timer.
The weak point there however, is the sensor will go in 1 plant pot but if the system serves multiple plants then you have to be sure that they are all drying out at the same rate, or move the sensor to an "average use" plant, and then adjust it so that the plant that uses the most water (ie. because it is closest to a fan and dries quicker, or is a strain that drinks more) doesn't get too dry between waterings.
Hushpuppy this is all true if one sensor and one valve was used. But with the price you could use 1 on evey plant.

view my blog on growing plants at www.growinmaine.com

That sounds like it could get complicated if you have multiple plants that have individualized plumbing. If the plants in question are in a space with 12' ceilings where they can get really big(with large pots) then it would be worthwhile to have a more specialized watering system. But if you are a small scale grower, or have many smaller plants, it would be cheaper and simpler to go with less technology. JMO :)

1 pipe, mutiple valves, HP. I agree with HP, go with a timer. No way would I trust an $8.50 sensor switch on a $1000+ plant.

Latest posts

Back