October's First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good Oct. I hope my first grow goes half as good as yours. Its amazing how diligence during your planning and research can really pay off!!
On a side note, am I the only one that not only looks at the subject of a picture, but things in the background as well? Sometimes that can be as entertaining as the subject alone.

Looks good Oct. I hope my first grow goes half as good as yours. Its amazing how diligence during your planning and research can really pay off!!
On a side note, am I the only one that not only looks at the subject of a picture, but things in the background as well? Sometimes that can be as entertaining as the subject alone.

Thanks gantt, I think you are right, planning and research are very important, certainty for a new grower like myself. I read that good genetics and environment are key and I think now more than ever that's true. I've gotten some awesome advice here at MP and I read a book by Glenn Panik titled "How to Grow Cannabis at Home" that has been a big help. I'm not saying it's the best book out there on the subject but I appreciated it's straight forwardness and it's lack of technical jargon. Happy Growin!

Peace

WOOHOO, i kinda feel like a grandma...looking lovely... so nice to see the flowers.

those plants r under LED Grow Lights,, do u see a different in any thing,, during the plants r under the LED Lights ???

those plants r under LED Grow Lights,, do u see a different in any thing,, during the plants r under the LED Lights ???
I've never grown with anything but LED, this is my first go at growing.

That is sweet Oct! I tried the LED approach a couple years ago tryin to keep my ferns from dying out in the winter so with the extra space in my greenhouse that I built in my unfinished basement I decided to give it a try... Learned a valuable lesson in the process, get educated. So now that I'm about to go headfirst into my own cultivation I would like to ask for your input on literature, where did, if you did, get your beginners information on the topic of starting a tent grow? My basement greenhouse didn't do so well and after winter had passed I ended up moving the 2 plants I started out into the natural world and away from the LEDs. Won't be making that mistake again. Also looking to purchase my first tent as well. Hope I didn't sabo the thread.

That is sweet Oct! I tried the LED approach a couple years ago tryin to keep my ferns from dying out in the winter so with the extra space in my greenhouse that I built in my unfinished basement I decided to give it a try... Learned a valuable lesson in the process, get educated. So now that I'm about to go headfirst into my own cultivation I would like to ask for your input on literature, where did, if you did, get your beginners information on the topic of starting a tent grow? My basement greenhouse didn't do so well and after winter had passed I ended up moving the 2 plants I started out into the natural world and away from the LEDs. Won't be making that mistake again. Also looking to purchase my first tent as well. Hope I didn't sabo the thread.

There is so much information out there you need to be careful not to let your head explode trying to decipher all of it, much of it contradicts it's self.
So much info I had to just find the things that made the most sense to me.

I think two things were key for me. First find a mentor, I was lucky enough to find one on this forum. I read some of this person's threads and looked at her grow journals, lots of practical hands on experience. She's always been cool enough to answer any questions I had and also put me on the grow light I'm using, no regrets at all in that department.

Second I read a book called "How to Grow Cannabis at Home" by Glenn Panik, I've read a couple of others but this one just made sense to me. You can get it from amazon as a download.

So I kind of used the two, I felt I could absolutely trust either, but really you need to find one, maybe two people to listen to. The old proverb that a wise man seeks counsel is a truth. On the other hand if you took the advice of everyone, you are in for a wild ride. Also don't be afraid after taking in all this information to make the decision that works best for you and your situation.

I decided for my first grow not to be to ambitious. I went with an Indica, grew in soil as opposed to hydroponics, no super cropping, no scrog, I just wanted to go with tried and true methods first time out. As I grow in knowledge I will try new things, in the future I want to try a scrog, maybe even hydroponics, but I have to admit I love growing in soil. I think the only thing I went off script on was using LED's, most growers start HID lighting. I chose an LED that was overkill for the space I'm growing in, I've had zero stretch and I'm getting good penetration through the canopy to the lower parts of the plants. Lot's of folks are using a 24/0 light schedule to veg in including my mentor. I opted to go the more tradition method and use a 18/6 schedule to veg with. Next grow I may try the 24/0, even read about a gas light schedule, sounds crazy, but people are having luck with it.

So for your first grow I'd suggest to go with things that are proven, listen to people you trust and admire and not be afraid to make the call that works best for you. I believe most indica strains are fairly forgiving so don't panic if something doesn't look quite right. I read that first time growers are guilty of these three things;

1. over watering
2. over fertilizing
3. harvesting too soon.

I haven't gotten to number 3 yet, but I already want to harvest!

So provide your plants with a good environment, try and keep the temps between 65 and 80 degrees and 40 to 50% humidity, lots of fresh air and exhaust the spent air out of the tent. When you get your tent, my suggestion is get as tall as tent as your space will allow. I bought a Lighthouse Hydro tent and have been happy with it. I've read many reviews on tents and all of them seem to have light leaks, including mine. My tent is in a closet, with the closet light on, the tent zipped up I still could not see the hand in front of my face, good enough.

Have fun be patient, enjoy life, be good to folks.

Peace

can't wait till mine get there,,,but i got along ways to go yet

Do you have a good loupe like this?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/A1store-Jeweler-Magnifying-Magnifier-30x21mm/dp/B009339V3M/ref=sr_1_6?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1421768255&sr=1-6&keywords=eye+loupe+60x[/ame]

How long from the flip?

Rosebud, I've done "micro" soldering and used mag glasses/stands/headbands etc but no mater what I do I can NOT, for the life of me, use one of those loupes or the "420 microscope" things. IDK why

as long as you don't need to take pics to ask.. Is this ready yet? (like I did)
a loupe is a MUCH cheaper but just as effective solution.

---

October420, LOVE seeing the contrast between strains!

Joe, that is an amazing shot of amber trichs... wonderful wow. The one i can't use is the one from Radio shack..can't do it.. The one i posted above, i have three of... LOVE THEM.. just need three cause i can't find two usually.

This thread should be mandatory viewing for anyone on their first grow, a perfect example of what a little advice, hard work and determination can get you, VERY VERY WELL DONE.

Isn't that the truth Dman.. I am in awe.

Well thanks y'all, really can't take much of the credit here, just listened to some good advice and let nature do it's thing.

Joe, what kind of rig you got there? If you are looking for amber why would that last picture be to late in harvesting?

Rosebud I'll have to order that loupe you recommend. I'm anxious to harvest but I don't want to pull the trigger to soon. Bomb Seeds recommends 7 - 9 weeks of flowering and I'm just at week 6. I'm ready to try my hand at making some RSO and tinctures. My wife's MS has relapsed and we are just ready to try this, she just came off of 4 days of methylprednisolone and she feels like crap.

Rose would you recommend the Magical Butter Machine for making tinctures and RSO?

Peace

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Vividia-Handheld-Endoscope-Microscope-Diameter/dp/B005P40OXY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1421781120&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+microscope[/ame]
$80

clear = immature
cloudy = mature
amber= just passing prime (THC breaking down I think)
dark= too late

most common is to shoot for 10% amber
trying to reduce the amount of immature without loosing too much

cloudy/clear is a more up/head high
cloudy/amber is less head more body high

slide the scale to your liking

:48:

October, i do like the machine. it takes hours off my making rso. You could have a tincture in an hour I think. I wouldn't take your plants at the very earliest at 8 weeks, but I go by trichomes. Usually the stuff I grows takes 9 weeks. But indica's can go earlier.
Oh man, i am sorry she is having an exacerbation. That three day 1000 mg of pred isn't easy on anyone, the patient or the person that loves the patient.

You don't want to end product too speedy or it might make her a little paranoid especially with that much pred but tell her I am thinking of her and hope she is back to a new normal or better soon. Mr rb has had to do that protocol a lot. Not in several years now though. Hang in you guys.

October, i do like the machine. it takes hours off my making rso. You could have a tincture in an hour I think. I wouldn't take your plants at the very earliest at 8 weeks, but I go by trichomes. Usually the stuff I grows takes 9 weeks. But indica's can go earlier.
Oh man, i am sorry she is having an exacerbation. That three day 1000 mg of pred isn't easy on anyone, the patient or the person that loves the patient.

You don't want to end product too speedy or it might make her a little paranoid especially with that much pred but tell her I am thinking of her and hope she is back to a new normal or better soon. Mr rb has had to do that protocol a lot. Not in several years now though. Hang in you guys.

Thanks Rose, I'll let her know you are pulling for her. We recently changed neurologist and this is the first time they didn't taper her off the pred so she's suffering from the side effects.

I'm not going to harvest to early, just getting those first time jitters I suppose, everything has gone so well I'm not going to rock the boat at this point!

Oh yeah, I ordered the Magical Butter Machine yesterday, looking forward to playing with it.

Peace

Hey I've noticed that the later in flowering the less I need to water. I was watering every other day to going two full days between watering now I'm at three full days between watering.

I'm curious if anybody else has experienced this? I suppose this is normal, plants are not experiencing any leaf curl from under watering.

Peace

Latest posts

Back