h2o

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrobud

bhc# vhc# 5150
Reaction score
hi friends, its been awhile. i hope everyone is doing ok. i would like to know what is the prefferd store bought water to use,spring, drinking or distilled. the ph is way different between stores but i have found some spring at 6.4 ph thanks for any help and at least i know where to go for the right info:vap-leafy_wave:

I use reverse osmosis water. Most lables will tell you what it is. Or you could get an r.o. filter.

most ro filters in stores are more than i would need in a hydro. is there a unit that you would recommend? i dont need all the stages or mineral additions

Zem, what do you mean that they are more you need? If you have dissolved solids, you need an RO (or distillation) to remove them (and all the stages are necessary). Don't know what you mean by mineral additions. If they are not dissolved solids (solids in precipitate form), a regular filter will probably filter them out.

THG basically there are filters that have many stages and one stage is to add minerals to the water to make it drinkable. Also there are those that need power and those that don't, I remember there was one model that was black, specifically for hydro, does only the ro thing with no need for any electric, and it was economical

thanks guys but i do grow in soil and i also bought a 5 stage reverse osmosis thing off the bay (thanks trillions) that should do it but i like learning so keep up the conversation :bong1:

hi friends, its been awhile. i hope everyone is doing ok. i would like to know what is the prefferd store bought water to use,spring, drinking or distilled. the ph is way different between stores but i have found some spring at 6.4 ph thanks for any help and at least i know where to go for the right info:vap-leafy_wave:
curious, why store bought?? r u avoiding chlorinated water? we have a well and never considered anything but tap water for indoor or outdoor grow..

why store bought you ask? well i two had a well and was good for a while but i diddnt get used much so it started getting rusty and smelly so i went with store bought spring water at 6.4 ph works really good but they run out alot, poor ordering i guess.so i am going the reverse ozz thing

The first thing anyone should do when questioning the water source is to have the water source tested so that you know what's in it. Rusty/smelly water may not be an issue if the total dissolved solids aren't very high. However, you could have very clean water that tastes pretty good, and it could have high levels of certain elements or metals that could be problematic. You want to be sure before having to go with something more expensive and/or tedious, and having your water tested is fairly easy and not expensive.

most likely a decent water filter would cure the dirty, smelly. places like home depot offer free(i think), water analysis.

all the well was used for was plant water b/c i have county water but i think what started this whole thing was a busted water pipe. i get my ro filter monday so that should cure my ails

Just remember that an RO filter will strip everything out of the water, similar to distilled. You may find that you have to add a little more calcium and magnesium (depending on which nute brand and/or medium you use). Most organic nutes/mediums should be ok on calcium but you may still need to add a little Epsom salt if you are using organics.

basically i just use ffof and their line of nutes in a small grow 3x5 with leds so i dont use a lot of water. that water i get from the store works real good and with the ro my wife can go back to drinking tap so i do have options. is ro water ok with ffof ? i know i need to check the ph i guess. thanks again for the info

basically i just use ffof and their line of nutes in a small grow 3x5 with leds so i dont use a lot of water. that water i get from the store works real good and with the ro my wife can go back to drinking tap so i do have options. is ro water ok with ffof ? i know i need to check the ph i guess. thanks again for the info

Ro water works great with soil. Keep an Eye out for cal or mag deficiencies.

thanks guys, i knew i could count on ya :aok:

Also, if you are on a water meter, remember that you waste a lot of water with an RO. You can bypass 5 gallons or more to get a gallon of "pure" water. Pure is in quotes because ROs may not take your water down to 0 ppms--it is not distillation. Both of these factors depend on how bad your water is.

If your tap water is that bad,,ya need to move. Lol
I alway just let my Tap Water set for 24hrs,,added nutes,,bubbled for 12hrs ,,,and then adjusted ph.
For awhile in Florida i was using condensation water from my AC. i was getting damn near 5gallons a day. And yes it was a new AC system,,,no nasty buildup. It worked fine. The PH was really low,,but i adjusted it for my DWC.

Latest posts

Back