Hardening Plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Culled a male today. It was a Buckeye Purple cross (my neighbor had a male he didnt get out of his garden before it dropped pollen). It looks like the cross may keep the beautiful purple color.

View attachment 20170525_173156.jpg

the mix was completed yesterday. it was hot (pretty warm),to the touch today. even dry. i separated the mix into 2 giant wheel barrows today and spread the leftover bottom couple of inches evenly over the bottom of the 5 foot diameter pool. i watered (sprinkled) in 4 gallons of water adding a few inches of hot mix each sprinkle until complete. the goal was to get a little moisture evenly through out the whole mix. i also added in 8 cups of composted chicken manure. now i own it!! it will be a 50/50 mix in a few weeks. also the plants going in will be being transplanted into 5 gallon sacks. will be 5 or 6 weeks old. pretty hardy. i am looking forward to this.

today, again i separated the mix back into 2 xtra large wheelbarrows. adding back into the 5 foot dia. pool from toys"R"us. a couple inches at a time sprinkling enough water to get more damp again. the mix is no longer hot or even warm. it was getting dryer though. today i added another 4 gallons of water. it's nice and evenly damp again. pool was under $20. but because i was worried on accidental puncture, i bought two and stacked them. couple more weeks. excited.

Looking out for males here too, with a magnify glass. Those purple flowers are both lovely and terrifying. At first I thot I was looking at a new style bug.

TCbud and orangesunshine, you crack me up.

Looking again, it does look like some kind of bug. Went to the neighbors after I pulled my male plant to "help" him sex his. We found 2 males and he destroyed them. Now that he knows what he is looking for, I don't think he will let another one get to the pollen stage (like he did last year).

Grass hopper, sounds like your soil is cooking like its supposed to. I will be repotting my plants into the 20 and 25 gal smart pots weekend after next when I have help coming.

TCbud and orangesunshine, you crack me up.

Looking again, it does look like some kind of bug. Went to the neighbors after I pulled my male plant to "help" him sex his. We found 2 males and he destroyed them. Now that he knows what he is looking for, I don't think he will let another one get to the pollen stage (like he did last year).

Grass hopper, sounds like your soil is cooking like its supposed to. I will be repotting my plants into the 20 and 25 gal smart pots weekend after next when I have help coming.

sounds like fun thg. have you considered spending a few hundred bucks to have a dump truck come and spread a thick layer of black loam in your garden area, at some point.. i did that and since have added compost, all of my used soils and rotoed it all in. got a super garden area now where roots travel 12 feet to steal feed from each other. it's alive out there. just a thought mam.
i have got some males i need to i.d. soon. they are about 3 or 4 weeks old. at about what age do i have to worry about pollen??? thanks!!

today, again i separated the mix back into 2 xtra large wheelbarrows. adding back into the 5 foot dia. pool from toys"R"us. a couple inches at a time sprinkling enough water to get more damp again. the mix is no longer hot or even warm. it was getting dryer though. today i added another 4 gallons of water. it's nice and evenly damp again. pool was under $20. but because i was worried on accidental puncture, i bought two and stacked them. couple more weeks. excited.

thg, i used a 50/50 mix of ocean forest/ green light and the hot mix. i also added 6 cups of chicken **** and 6 cups of worm castings in each large wheel barrow. it was a real hot mix....
the 18 inch high plants drooped the first day and a half. some of the lower leaves turned yellow. tip burn signs as well, which i never get. after the second water, about a week after transplant the plants now are all dark green and growing like crazy. so far i am really impressed with the mix. i will be doing a second tent with the identical mix in the next two days. will post pics when i get caught up. thanks!!

Grasshopper, glad the mix seems to be working out for you. I looked at a lot of super soil recipes this year, but stayed with NV's. Even though I mixed my mix mellower than you did, I still ended up with some burn on the plants. I have a bunch of Satori this year and they are such light eaters. They are looking happy now though.

Grasshopper, glad the mix seems to be working out for you. I looked at a lot of super soil recipes this year, but stayed with NV's. Even though I mixed my mix mellower than you did, I still ended up with some burn on the plants. I have a bunch of Satori this year and they are such light eaters. They are looking happy now though.

someone had said they had tried the mix(nvs), and had deficiencies. so i maDE it hotter. VERY healthy gals now. said they used promix for other 50%. i used O.F. and green light

View attachment IMG_2776.jpg

That's really nice GH, I don't have nearly that much grow space so I'm hoping to do a couple nice outdoor plants disguised in my flower bed. Hoping to get started this week if it's not too late...

Grasshopper, they look great. What a sweet space! It is funny, because I mixed mine a little mellower because I read that someone fried their plants with it. I figured that I will supplement with teas and top dressing. I can add stuff, but if I fry my Satoris, they are gone. I kind of think we have to use our best judgement as to whether our girls are light eaters or heavy eaters.

2RedEyes, you should still have time. But, I would get on it.

thg, it was jaam i think that said deficiencies. but with a 50/50 mix with promix. i think if i used my hotter mix with 1 week old babies, i woulda fried em forsure. but at 5 or 6 weeks they are pretty tough and take feed well. i have read on light feeders as you say. but not experienced enough to notice. thank you ma'am, for posting nvs soil mix!! :aok:

Latest posts

Back