Growing seedlings rule of thumb-questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

-=THE_CLAW=-

Hi All.
I was wondering if anyone could maybe walk me through the seedlings rule of thumb growing tips. I seem to really screw a seedling up one way or the other. How many hours of light do they get when you plant them after germination 14 ? 24? How tall are they before you use any nutes? Do I use water only when very young? At what point do I snip the tops and where?
I have tried them in soil and in hydro. I seem to damage them at some point when there young. I do just fine with clones but seedlings seems to be a very sensitive situation.
Thanks For any help,
Jason

What type of soil are you using? What type of light are you using?

Many factors can contribute to the damage.

growman05 said:
What type of soil are you using? What type of light are you using?

Many factors can contribute to the damage.

Now Black magic soil ...tried three different kinds of stuff at different times... regular potting soil....and tomatoe soil. Florescent lights. many different kinds of seeds all the same results. Ethier the seedlings drop dead in two days of springing up or they reach a height of about 5 to 6 inch's turn yellow and lock up after three or 4 weeks.
-Jay

Just LEAVE THEM ALONE don't mess with them.
16/8, that's it, try a porous substrate like coco, no chance of overwatering them then.

Hi,i would say germinate in tissue paper till they sprout then plant them in small pots with gd soil (i use biobizz all mix) and put clingfilm over rubberband round it and pierce a few small holes to keep in the humidity,should sprout in a day or 2,have your lights on 18 hours and 6 hours off,you can leave them on 24/7 but i prefer 18/6,dont use nutes till you have atleast 2 sets of leaves,water them only when they need it,try to get the ph as close to 6.5 as possible and u shudnt ave any problems.
hope this helps

leafminer said:
Just LEAVE THEM ALONE don't mess with them.
16/8, that's it, try a porous substrate like coco, no chance of overwatering them then.
:doh:

theblacksheep said:
Hi,i would say germinate in tissue paper till they sprout then plant them in small pots with gd soil (i use biobizz all mix) and put clingfilm over rubberband round it and pierce a few small holes to keep in the humidity,should sprout in a day or 2,have your lights on 18 hours and 6 hours off,you can leave them on 24/7 but i prefer 18/6,dont use nutes till you have atleast 2 sets of leaves,water them only when they need it,try to get the ph as close to 6.5 as possible and u shudnt ave any problems.
hope this helps

:yeahthat:

The only difference btwn your ideas and mine is I soak mine for 24 hrs, and sow 1/4 to 1/2 inch into soil. I don't germ in paper towels anymore...but both ways work.

I use the papertowel method,
tranz plant into 16 oz cups with either seed starter mix or promix and a drop of superthrive,
make sure the medium is moist or had been watered already, (this is enough water for a week or so)
then its under 24hrs of light for 1st week or 2 then 18/6.
Make sure u have a fan circulating

the hardest part will be to just let them be to do their thing.

Best wishes
"P"

-=THE_CLAW=- said:
Hi All.
I was wondering if anyone could maybe walk me through the seedlings rule of thumb growing tips. I seem to really screw a seedling up one way or the other. How many hours of light do they get when you plant them after germination 14 ? 24? How tall are they before you use any nutes? Do I use water only when very young? At what point do I snip the tops and where?
I have tried them in soil and in hydro. I seem to damage them at some point when there young. I do just fine with clones but seedlings seems to be a very sensitive situation.
Thanks For any help,

We don't use names here.

Welcome to the forum Dave :)

18/6 or 20/4 is a common lighting regime.

You need a soil with no nutrients added to it.

None of this added feed that lasts 1 month or 3 months, it will kill your seedlings because every time you put water in the soil it will flood the soil with plant feed.

MJ needs no feed for 4 weeks, none at all, so many people make this simple mistake and wonder why they have struggling or dead seedlings.

Over watering is another killer, a seedling will only need watering once a week, maybe longer.

A seedling has a single root that will eventually grow other roots from it that will stem out from the single root, if you have a sodden soil then the root will have no need to grow in search of water.

While this happens the single root (they are called tap root) actually drowns because another essential error people make is not realising that roots need air to breathe, yup, roots breathe.

So between watering's the soil needs to dry out, MJ originates from arid climates and still needs to think it is in a dry environment.

Fluorescent lights are perfectly fine for young seedlings whilst they get established (grow a root system) then later on you will need to get better more powerful lighting.

3,500 lumens per Sq Ft is needed for seedlings then it goes up to 5,000 lumens.

Read this.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forumWOW/Full-Marijuana-Growing-Guide.html#LIGHT

1 final thing, the most important thing you need to learn, if you do not get your head around this then you are going to struggle continuously non stop.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28984

You are surrounded by many experienced growers here on MP, ask as many questions as you need, you will always find someone comes and answers your query :aok:

:peace:

HippyInEngland said:
We don't use names here.
:peace:

Really no names? Or are you just kidding around. Because honestly I have nothing to hide name-wise personally. I am medically approved through the state of California.
-Jason

i'm a 24/7 guy .....i swear by the rooter plugs in the starter trays..i just put my seed in the plugs and throw them under 50,000 lumens of floro light. 3-4 days later and i've got kids every time. i do not use plugs or cubes for clones though..they go strait into the hydroton.

Latest posts

Back