My First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondJim420

Reaction score
This my first grow. I'm growing Nirvana Northern Lights feminized seeds.

In this first post of this Grow Journal, I'll describe and show my grow room. I'll get to the plants in my next post.

Here are some pics of my grow room.

It's a 3'8" x 3'8" x 8' closet, painted with flat white paint. The hood is a Luxor (vertical bulb) air-cooled hood with 8" flanges. It houses a 600-watt Hortilux Super HPS bulb, powered by a Lumatek digital dimmable ballast. An Elicent 8" 636 CFM fan cools the hood and vents the room. There are 3 passive intake vents covered with black panty hose, and 5 Massey clip-on fans for air circulation.

Temperatures have been much easier to control than I anticipated, maybe because of the 636 CFM cooling fan and Luxor hood, which is supposed to be easy to cool because of it's design.

Attached Thumbnails

My plants are Nirvana Northern Lights feminized seeds. I started with 6 seeds. All hatched and produced seedlings. 1 was weak with constantly browning leaves, one was spindly and stretching like mad, and one turned out to be a hermie. I got rid of them all. I now have 3 very healthy females left, just starting their third week of flowering.

Here are some pics of them over the weeks.

003 (800x600).jpg

004 (800x600).jpg

005 (800x600).jpg

001 (800x600).jpg

Grow History:

I used the wet paper towel method of germinating my seeds. All hatched, and I moved them to 1" rockwell cubes.

After about a week, I began feeding them a weak solution of Advanced Nutrients nutes. When roots sprang out of the 1" rockwool cubes, I plugged them into 3.5" rockwool cubes and increased nute strength. When roots sprang out of the 3.5" rockwool cubes, I put them in 1 gallon pots filled with Fox Farm Ocean Forest (FFOF), and gave them only water for 10 days. The I began using Fox Farm nutes, according to the Fox Farm recommended freeding schedule.

Once I noticed roots sticking out of the draining holes in the bottom of the pots, I transplanted them into 5-gallon buckets in a mix of 85% FFOF and 15% perlite. And there they sit today.

They look great--nice and bushy and healthy. Hey, you would have been overcrowded with 6 in there anyway. I love seeing nice sanitary grow rooms like yours.

The Hemp Goddess said:
They look great--nice and bushy and healthy. Hey, you would have been overcrowded with 6 in there anyway. I love seeing nice sanitary grow rooms like yours.

Thanks THG. Yes, it looks like those 3 plants will fill up the room. It's been a fun first grow.

Hey DJ, I posted in one of your other threads about the size of your room being similar to mind. Those girls look great! I only had 1 confirmed fem... thus far anyways. Still waiting on the small plant to show sex. I think it'll be female though. Been flowering for a week now. It was about 4 weeks veg when I flipped the two bigger ones. Anyways, good to know how many decent sized plants I can fit into the space!

getnasty said:
Hey DJ, I posted in one of your other threads about the size of your room being similar to mind. Those girls look great! I only had 1 confirmed fem... thus far anyways. Still waiting on the small plant to show sex. I think it'll be female though. Been flowering for a week now. It was about 4 weeks veg when I flipped the two bigger ones. Anyways, good to know how many decent sized plants I can fit into the space!

Thanks nasty...yes I remember your post...I sure hope you have good luck with your grow.

If I remember correctly, you're flowering with CFLs. How is that going? I vegged a long time with T5s (24/0). Are you going to start a grow journal? What type plants are you growing?

I watered my plants today with RO water with 1 tbs mollasses per gallon, PH balanced to 6.5. They are 17 days into flowering.

013 (800x600).jpg

014 (800x600).jpg

Beginning 4th week of flowering. Two plants are primo healthy, but one has yellowing leaves at the top (on the new growth). This plant drains much more than the other two, due to my mixing too much perlite in its bucket. Does it maybe need watering more often than the other two? Or should I try to flush it (salt buildup)? It still has great looking buds.

001 (800x600).jpg

004 (800x600).jpg

DiamondJim420 said:
Thanks nasty...yes I remember your post...I sure hope you have good luck with your grow.

If I remember correctly, you're flowering with CFLs. How is that going? I vegged a long time with T5s (24/0). Are you going to start a grow journal? What type plants are you growing?
Lookin good in there, Jim!

No, I vegged with 400W Metal Halide on 24/7 lighting schedule, and am flowering with 600W HPS on 12/12. I had a grow journal up, but the strain genetics were incorrect so I took it down.

One of the plants has a fruity smell with a sour aftersmell, and the little one is straight up sour. They both smell delicious. I'll throw some pics up here in a little bit.

getnasty said:
Lookin good in there, Jim!

No, I vegged with 400W Metal Halide on 24/7 lighting schedule, and am flowering with 600W HPS on 12/12. I had a grow journal up, but the strain genetics were incorrect so I took it down.

One of the plants has a fruity smell with a sour aftersmell, and the little one is straight up sour. They both smell delicious. I'll throw some pics up here in a little bit.

Thanks...good luck...looking forward to seeing your pics...

Latest posts

Back