What's the best light I could get for veg?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HazePhase

Reaction score
Hey fellow cannabis enthusiasts.

I was wondering for my veg 2x4 tent what you would suggest for the very best light possible.

Thanks everyone!!

Hey fellow cannabis enthusiasts.

I was wondering for my veg 2x4 tent what you would suggest for the very best light possible.

Thanks everyone!!

What is the height of your tent? That info would help...

Oh sorry about that.
I haven't bought the tent yet but it will be a 2x4x6 (might go to 7 feet).

I was thinking about a 4-5 cob array but a lot of people are telling me T5 --- i am looking for max results over saving money so curious what people suggest.
If you have any other questions please let me know.

Check out the bridgelux eb series you can get them in a 4 foot strip which would work out perfect for a 2 x 4 tent I think 6 strips would light that baby up like crazy

I don't know much about lights but that sounds similar to what I am running for my flower tent.
I made the light so I could use it for veg or flower but here are the specs:

12 Cob Vero 29 D series SE
1400 PPFD at 8"
6 COBs BXRC-40E10K0-D-73-SE
6 COBs BXRC-30E10K0-D-73-SE
108,000 lumens
Switchable 6 COBs on veg/12 COBs on flower
230 per rail
690 w total.

https://youtu.be/Xg9lsBZt3FI

I jumped on the T5HO train when i started growing. my first light was an 8 bulb t5. its a good light, but it puts out more heat than you would assume. If i did it all over again, and was not going to go led, i would say a metal hilade bulb in a cool tube vs. a T5HO fixture. your best bang for buck will be led. There are a bunch of small space growers using store bought bulbs making their own fixture, or you could go the pre-made route. I just swapped to an led fixture for my veg space, and i am very pleased with it.

Hmm... so mixed reviews.
There has to be science behind which bulb gives more PAR or what a plant needs?
Lets keep this going - for those mentioning what they prefer - give us a why?

Maybe we can make this a great multi light pros and cons thread :)
or either way it will help me LOL

The T5s are inexpensive and replacement tubes are readily available. They come in 2 or 4' lengths. You can get fixtures with varying numbers of tubes. They put out about the same lumens per watt as MH lighting (92-100 lumens per watt). The tubes spread the light well, creating less hot spots and more even vegetative growth. You can get them within a couple of inches of the canopy and they have a slim profile, so they are great if height is an issue. And, they do a great job.

The T5s are inexpensive and replacement tubes are readily available. They come in 2 or 4' lengths. You can get fixtures with varying numbers of tubes. They put out about the same lumens per watt as MH lighting (92-100 lumens per watt). The tubes spread the light well, creating less hot spots and more even vegetative growth. You can get them within a couple of inches of the canopy and they have a slim profile, so they are great if height is an issue. And, they do a great job.

Here's some T5 grown plants at around a week old for the bigger ones and 4 days for the smaller plant. Thick, lush growth.

View attachment 2017-04-12-19-06-56.jpg

View attachment 2017-04-12-19-10-09.jpg

View attachment 2017-04-12-19-11-13.jpg

View attachment 2017-04-13-20-23-24.jpg

View attachment 2017-04-13-20-20-54.jpg

I am not knocking the t5, it served me well. and i am sure i will use it again later. i used to keep it within 2 inches of the canopy, so it is definitely a great choice if overall height is an issue. I had a larger size at 8 bulbs, so i should have expected more heat. in the summer i found it was harder to cool the closet, the light would heat the entire closet space, while a cool tube style would have been much easier to control heat. that said, i have a less than ideal ventilation in the closet, it was a temp grow space until i made a perm. setup. It did have an attractive cost, but it also burned over 450 watts an hr.closer to 500.

Hmm... the choices.
So people would take T5 Lights over COB LED?
Just wondering because I was thinking of getting a 4-5 COB Vero29 single array

I run 5 3590 cree at 50% they kick ***.. I had 8 t5's the cobs blow them out of the water. at half the watts at the wall. Not cheap it's a $500 light. But will pay for it's self in time.

Hmm... the choices.

I hear good things about those Veros but at the same time I would also check into the bridgelux eb series strips I would say they would be excellent for veg and very affordable

Hmm... the choices.

I'm just kind of like "It ain't broke so don't fix it." lol. I don't have much experience with LEDs by themselves or the powerful LEDs but from what I've seen I can't knock them. There's a lot of good growers/grows using LEDs.

T5s do put off some heat.

I hear good things about those Veros but at the same time I would also check into the bridgelux eb series strips I would say they would be excellent for veg and very affordable

Yeah that is what I am using:
12 Cob Vero 29 D series SE
1400 PPFD at 8"
6 COBs BXRC-40E10K0-D-73-SE
6 COBs BXRC-30E10K0-D-73-SE
108,000 lumens
Switchable 6 COBs on veg/12 COBs on flower
230 per rail
690 w total.

I was told this would be great for my plants and a lot of people like CREE but they are just more wattage that my plants won't need as they max our PAR light with my current light.

https://youtu.be/Xg9lsBZt3FI

Here's some T5 grown plants at around a week old for the bigger ones and 4 days for the smaller plant. Thick, lush growth.

These plants are a week old?
Holy crap, take a video, you must be able to actually see them grow.
Good God, I can't post my week old plants, what the hell am I doing wrong?
Couple of T5s, good temps, ventilation, plain water,
I've got a pair of penny-size fans after a week, cripes.

(skulks away pathetically)

I have a 12 cob array 5x5 LED grow light for my flower tent
I'm looking for vegetable light only in my vegetable stores --- I said it's not just watts because the light is lower watts and maximizes the plant.
I could go more watts to receive the same, but I lost power and too much.

Latest posts

Back