DIY COB grow light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BBP, was mildly interested in this subject when you started this thread. Now wildly interested. Bought a fluence spydrx and it has opened my eyes to LEDS. 1st was some basic research as to the types of leds was necessary. Just looking at specs sheets from manufacturers doesn't tell you much useful info about which ones to buy and run. The 2 things I did pick up on were efficacy and price, lol. But I noticed some of the different cob manufacturers had a simulator that you could plug in factors like current or voltage or color temperature that I was able to make some sense of the differences in COBs

Which led me to constant current drivers and constant voltage drivers, lol.

Are you putting all 4 on the one heatsink?

Well, plans have changed a lil with this build but, no, 4 chips won't even physically fit on one heatsink lol. 1 chip per heatsink. I was going to get my boy to hook me up a 277v plug but he's a lil too busy atm so I'm going to grab a meanwell driver, 4 more heatsinks and chips and run all 8 on one driver. Just need the driver and 4 more heatsinks and I'm good to go with this one.

Looking good, gonna be bright in there!

Here’s another one. I’m using this on my system for both lights and to automate some feeding.
But I see the Pacific Light module is more than just on/off.

Here’s another one. I’m using this on my system for both lights and to automate some feeding.
But I see the Pacific Light module is more than just on/off.

On/off, dimming, presets...awesome lil device. Then you can buy the hub which controls up to 500 units. I was checking those out that you linked until someone showed me these.

I've recently become addicted with home automation. That led me to arduino, which led me to wireless modules, which led me to raspberry pi and that led me to a whole new world...diy rgb led tv screens, diy tablets, diy computers...omg I think I'm in love.

I worked with someone who was remodeling his house and decided to go with a SMART home setup. Rewired everything so it was automated and run from his phone. That was 15 years ago. His security system, lights, door locks, hvac, cameras, even the coffee pot was setup with a wifi system to check when it was done. I can see more and more automation with commercial growers.

Me too umbra. My next step is getting off the cloud and running everything locally. Still in the infant stage of figuring it out but the more I read the more I understand. I think I'll have it figured out completely in a couple months.

Latest posts

Back