I am ready to step up my game...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowlyburn

Reaction score
I am ready to purchase proper flowering lighting. I am trying to decide what to get... Should I get one 1000 watt light or 2 smaller wattage lights? I only want 5-6 plants at a time. I just don't know how far the light will spread with just one fixture. If I go with 2 smaller lights would 2 400 watt fixtures do me good?

I'd go with one 1000watt....... how big is your grow area?

Well my veg room is about 3X5 and the new flower room will be an open room that is roughly 10X10 with 6ft ceiling or so...

5-6 plants in a grow cabin 10 by 10 with a 1000w thinkin yual can tightin it up bit.

BWD

tightin up provide more lumens instead of losin light to the dark not needin the light.Give it to yur planta pilgrem they will love yual for it.

Good night

BWD

It will take more than 1 or 2 1000 watt to cover a 10 x 10 ........ a 1000 watt will cover a 4 x 4 area(4-6 plants) nicely....... make sure you cover your outside windows..... are you going the run a cooling fan and a carbon filter for odor?

The room is about 10X10... I would put the plants under the light kinda touching eachother. I didnt plan on spreading them out over the entire room. Would I need to enclose them to make an actual room or can I just have them in the center of the room with walking space all around? Do you actually lose light in a larger area?

I would split the room in half so that I create a 4'deep by 10'long room on either side of a center walkway so that all plants can be accessed. Then I would put 3 600watters in cooltubes on each side. Then I would make a reflective wall out of reflectix or some thin plywood with mylar and make a stand so that it can be held about 12-18" off the floor so that air movement isn't stopped. Make the knee walls mobile so that you can get in at the plants easy.

If you run one side and wait to space it out about 4-5weeks before running the other side, then wait 4-5 weeks again before starting the next set, you can have a really nice harvest every month or so rather than having a huge harvest all at once(which is a bear to trim).

If this seems like too big an undertaking then you can use 2 600watters and close in the space around the plants to about 4x6 with the reflective walls. Just make sure that they are up off the floor enough to allow fans to move the air around the bigger room and grow space. :)

You would be suprised at how much light you would lose to empty space by leaving it open.

Grower13 said:
It will take more than 1 or 2 1000 watt to cover a 10 x 10 ........ a 1000 watt will cover a 4 x 4 area(4-6 plants) nicely....... make sure you cover your outside windows..... are you going the run a cooling fan and a carbon filter for odor?

I run a 6" vent to my roof with zero odor inside or outside at the moment. I plan to stick with that kind of setup.

That is way more then what I am looking to do... In my 3X5 room I am flowering 6 girls right now with 18 cfl bulbs pushing maybe 40-50K lumens. I am getting about 1 to 1.5 oz per plant with that setup... I am just looking for a simple upgrade to get better budz. I am not looking to push that kind of wattage. I think I am only pushing about 550 watts right now.

Maybe my best bet is to just keep the 3X5 room with one 1000W HPS setup???

50k lumens in 15sf is below requirements for proper flowering. I would say that your notion to keep the 3x5 room with 1kw set up would be your best bet. 10x10 is gonna require something like 5x 600w or 4x1kw lights to sustain veg and flower.

with a single 1kw light in your 3x5 space you'd be getting about 110,000 lumens in a space that requires about 75,000 minimum so you'll have all the light you need for your babies in there

PartyBro420 said:
50k lumens in 15sf is below requirements for proper flowering. I would say that your notion to keep the 3x5 room with 1kw set up would be your best bet. 10x10 is gonna require something like 5x 600w or 4x1kw lights to sustain veg and flower.

with a single 1kw light in your 3x5 space you'd be getting about 110,000 lumens in a space that requires about 75,000 minimum so you'll have all the light you need for your babies in there

The setup I am looking at comes with a switchable ballast for HPS and MH bulbs. it comes with ballast, hood with glass tube, 6 inch vent, 1 HPS bulb and 1 MH bulb... They claim the MH puts out 110,000 lumens and the HPS puts out 140,000 lumens... Is that too much for a 3X5 room? Can there be too much light??? lol

Yes, you can have too much light, however a 1000W in 15 sq ft is not too much light.

Slowlyburn said:
The setup I am looking at comes with a switchable ballast for HPS and MH bulbs. it comes with ballast, hood with glass tube, 6 inch vent, 1 HPS bulb and 1 MH bulb... They claim the MH puts out 110,000 lumens and the HPS puts out 140,000 lumens... Is that too much for a 3X5 room? Can there be too much light??? lol

They like to claim the bulbs output is always the best that they've ever seen out of them

An average 1kw HPS will output about 115,000 mean lumens after being in use for a couple hundred hours. The bulb when you first put it into use may have somewhere between 125,000-140,000 but it quickly tapers off to average out around 115,000. MH will output slightly less at about 95,000 mean lumens and 110,000 initial output.

Is your 10X10 flowering space going to be able to be made completely dark?

AG

Latest posts

Back