new garden help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bgrow91

Reaction score
i have 20 baby cuts of lemon kush that i am growing in soil. in a 10x10 room. currently set up with all 20 in 3 gallon smart pots and under 1 600wattMHL. but the room is set up with 3 1000 watts. they have been potted for one day. they are about 3-4 inches each. my question is when should i move them under the thousand watt. and when should i start giving them nutrients. i am going to use canna A&B with calmag to even everything out.

THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP

HAPPY GROWING
:icon_smile:

well since they're use to hid light atm, id put'em under now but at a greater distance until they harden off to the greater lumen output...

there already about 2 feet above the plants. how high would you suggest to move the lights. also since you suggest to switch now should i put them under 2 1000 watts. and spread them out more.

attached is a picture of my room sorry for the poor quality Photo on 2012-05-14 at 13.07.jpg

Photo on 2012-05-14 at 13.06.jpg

You say "baby cuts", do you mean that these are clones from mature donor plants? if so then you can move under any time as 7 said but depending on how high your space is and how tall you want to grow them, you can flip the light cycle to 12/12 any time from now to 2 months from now. I am not sure how tall lemon kush likes to grow or how much it stretches during flower but, If you have an 8' ceiling height then you will want to let them get about 10"-20" tall before flipping the light cycle. It seems like most plants will (about)double in size during the flowering cycle while some will triple in size if they have the stretchy sativa phenotype.

If these are indeed clones then you can start feeding them lightly right away. That however, also depends on the type of soil you are using. If you are using prenuted soil then you don't want to feed them any extra for about 2-3 weeks to prevent over feeding or nute lockout. :)

This is just my opinion but I would leave them under the metal halide and get some reflective material to close in around them to keep in all the light as is possible, while at the same time leaving just enough room to put a good oscilating fan in with them to blow air on them. I would leave the MH light about 18" above them as they grow. :)

yes they are cuttings from my lemon kush mother. thankyou for all the adive you have helped me out i have 4 isolating fans behing me not seen in my pics. i am using a coco medium not pebbles. and perlite. my room are 10 foot ceilings and i am planning on vegging for 2 months and get these babys pretty big. lemon kush gets pretty tall but hopefully with my max air fans i am abale to keep the lights about 8 inches away from the plants while flower to prevent them stretching too much. i usually let them wait to get use to their pots for about 1 week before i give them the nuts... but im wanting to try something different. should i start them on their schedule today when i switch to my 1000 watts

Hushpuppy said:
This is just my opinion but I would leave them under the metal halide and get some reflective material to close in around them to keep in all the light as is possible, while at the same time leaving just enough room to put a good oscilating fan in with them to blow air on them. I would leave the MH light about 18" above them as they grow. :)

:yeahthat: That is my opinion, too. Without reflective walls around the plants, the light is disbursing throughout the entire room, leaving you underlit. IMO, you really waste a lot of light when you have a light in the middle of a large room.

when I have one light in the middle of the room, I take emergency blankets and hang them off of the parabolic reflector like a shower curtain for your special ladies but more a light reflector. They've never heated up or became a fire hazard in any manner (course I'm talkin only up to 400watt, nothing bigger).

:peace:,

7ge:)

Since you are in coco I would say to go ahead and start using the nutrient as coco has no nutrients in it. Also start using the calmag as well to offset the magnesium lockup that occurs with coco. I would suggest that you can turn on the 1kHPS but also leave on the metal halide as it gives more of a vegging spektrum than the HPS. The HPS are for flowering more so than vegging. This is just my opinion but I wouldn't veg them any longer than 6weeks(or 24" tall) before flipping them because they will very likely become root bound in the 3gal pots if they are allowed to get any bigger, and that will mean having to repot them into 5gal pots or bigger just before changing the light cycle, and that would be a PITA. If they are depending totally on you for nutes then being a little root bound shouldn't be an issue but becoming really rootbound after 2 months could prove to be a problem in flower(when you don't want any problems). Again that's just my opinion :)

^^That first bit about the coco always has me thinking for a day or two lol

Coco is a great growing medium as far as I am concerned. It absorbs and holds nutes to be available for the plants' roots to grab. When amended with Pearlite or some other medium that keeps it from compressing, it acts very much like soil, and it seems like the plants like it. The only drawback to it is the fact that it locks up magnesium until it is saturated. It has something to do with cations and anions and chemical makeup. I like it for hydro as the plants' roots grow so well in it, and at the same time water drains through so that the plant doesn't drown, but it holds or wicks enough for the plant to have enough. I grow in 2liter containers which hold most of the nutrient grabbing roots while the holes that I predrilled in the bottoms of the containers allows the water roots to grow out and down into the hydro rez so that the plants can grow without getting root-bound. :)

so today i planted the rest of the clones in 3 gallon smart pots. i also am using a 1000 watt hortolux bulb now. i plan on using this lighting for about 2 weeks untill they get about 6-7 inches. then i will spread them apart and use 2 1000 watts. i started giving them canna nutrients today. just the A&B. also rapid rooter from GH and CALmag.

thankyou everyone for you responses. i plan on updating this regularly, and once again sorry about the bad pic quality have to take it from my mac book. i dont know how to resize :rolleyes:

Photo on 2012-05-14 at 21.27 #2.jpg

You absolutely need reflective enclosures around your plants, even when firing up 2 of the 1000W. You have a very low lumen to foot ratio otherwise and not enough light.

:yeahthat: You would be amazed at how much light energy is lost to reflected light out of the space. All that light that is making the room glow is energy that is not going to the plants. There is reflective material and even insulator board that is reflective on one side, at Lowes and Home Depot. I am assuming that you are in the US, but I am sure there is the same type of material that you could use to make temporary and movable reflective walls to go around the plants. All it has to cover right now is about 4' tall since the lights are so low. Once you reach the flowering cycle you will have to close them in so that they can be in total darkness during the 12/12 light cycle. :)

i have about 2/3rds of the room covered in mylar. im going in about an hour after work to grab more. by the end of the day my room will be completely covered in mylar. i am excited about seeing the difference in the room lighting after i cover the whole room. i will post more pics later on today when the room is finished.... any other suggestions. i really appreciate the help. thanks to guys hopefully i see some better results :icon_smile:

Bgrow91 said:
i have about 2/3rds of the room covered in mylar. im going in about an hour after work to grab more. by the end of the day my room will be completely covered in mylar. i am excited about seeing the difference in the room lighting after i cover the whole room. i will post more pics later on today when the room is finished.... any other suggestions. i really appreciate the help. thanks to guys hopefully i see some better results :icon_smile:

I do not believe that you are understanding what we are trying to tell you. It doesn't matter if your entire room is covered in mylar. You need some kind of temporary enclosure that is reflective to make a space that is about the same size as your plants take up. Right now with a 10 x 10 room and 1 1000W HPS light, you have about 1400 lumens per sq ft. With 2 1000W it is 2800 lumens. Whereas if you get an enclosure up that is 5 x 5 or so, 1 1000W light will be adequate. Right now your light is disbursing throughout the entire room and being wasted.

you still dont heave the lumes that you would if you make the area smaller...just adding reflective material isnt enough....you need to maintain a 5K lume pr sq ft...thats the messurement of the room....and looks to me like you either need more lights or make the area smaller

carefully re-read what TheHempGodess and Hushpuppy are telling you....they are spot on in they grows:aok:

take care and be safe

take 2 sheets of ply wood.. n move your plants to the corner of the room cover in mylar or black n white polly.. and lower your light so its just below the wood line...

your ladies are small enough and 4' is more than enough with a air cooled hood to be safe..
this will "retain" the light thats lighting the rest of the room ..
which means you will have 140k in your corner/box you made...

doesnt have to be pretty..
what id do would be this..
take a couple 2x4's and make an upside down T with em make 4 of those..
then take your plywood n nail/screw to your t's.. POW you have a "retaining" wall can be moved taken out.. you name it.. if you make 2 of them paint flat white/mylar/polly and move all ladies into corner you will be set...

LH

so here is the finished product guys. thanks for all your help i got plywood and made a barrier and also baught permaflect to cover the whole room. the difference IS AMAZING. im sorry for being so dumb and not understanding right away what you all ment. im sorry but today i went out and purchased 2 more stand up iscolating fans and also like i said built my barrier out of plywood. i watered for tonight and also put up a 600watt MHL also and the ladies seem to be loving it. my temp is 83 degrees because i have the 600mhl in a non air cooled hood. is that a problem???? i can turn my ac unit on higher.

THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND HOPEFULLY I HEAR GOOD FEEDBACK.

and to hempgodess and hushpuppy thankyou for your continues feed back

sorrry here is the picture it didnt upload the first time

Photo on 2012-05-15 at 19.36.jpg

Latest posts

Back