Just a curious question about rain and flowering plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KP419

Reaction score
I was just asking my self how does direct water or rain affect a plant? Does it wash thrichromes off, slow the grow down, or harm it in any way? Is it beneficial to mist indoor plants or is it a waste of time and a risk? I have never had an outside plant to finish flower and was looking at it and just started thinking about this because it just recently rained here.

I mist indoor plants to raise the Humidity..as for outside..you dont want water sitting on the flowers as this will cause Rot quick ...fast and in a hurry

take care and be safe

Some strains produce more trichomes than others, dependant on the humidity. I blast my plants with seltzer water. I have friends that tell'me its a waste of time, but it makes since to me i think. Co2 water, leaves absorb co2 and water,.... like givin em a shot o the gewd stuff.i use ladybugs as spidermite deterent, and they like when i mist the leaves ( ladybugs) cause they get a drink.

If you mix up a foiler feeding sprey, its good to wash the leaves off with plain water occasionally, because the ..... pores where they breath in can get clogged, on the under side of the leaves.

Both plants and animals carry on a process called respiration which occurs on a cellular level and involves an exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. Plants mostly do this in their leaves, which in some ways are similar to our skin (which, incidentally, is the largest organ in our bodies). The process by which all respiration takes place is called diffusion - plants 'breathe' through their leaves - the really cool thing is that they 'exhale' - ready? oxygen...which is why we want trees - because they breathe by 'inhaling' carbon dioxide and 'exhaling' oxygen for us to use in our bodies to do our own respiration.BTW -Animals breathe differently than plants. We do it in two places, in our lungs - as most people are aware - and also in our body tissues. Our lungs take in oxygen (that came from the plants respiration) and we put it in our blood, and at the same time release the carbon dioxide from the blood and put it into the atmosphere so the plants can use it. In addition, we also have a second type of breathing that occurs in all our bodies called tissue respiration. In our tissues, we take the oxygen from the blood and put it in the tissues, and at the same time take the carbon dioxide from the tissues and put it in the blood to be taken to the lungs.

THC is non water soluble and will not wash off in the rain. Your biggest threat is bud rot, as 4u mentioned.

Misting indoor plants carries the same risk unless you are in an arid environment. I do not foliar feed my plants unless they look like they have a deficiency that needs to be taken care of right now. I do not recommend spraying with seltzer water because of the sodium salts that are contained in most seltzer water and the small amount of CO2 it actually provides.

Club soda has sodium in it. I make my own co2 water. Those new,.... make your own coke at home things. You can pump as much co2 in your water as you want.

ok now how do you tell if there is bud rot? I just noticed today and am now wondering why the white hairs on my buds are starting to turn brown or maybe even a dark orangish brown? Ive never had them turn this color before almost like they are dying but not sure cuz ive never seen this before.

Some white hairs will change colors. I have a strain called redd cross, and its bright pink hairs, but after a while, the oldest buds' hairs'.....will "die" or turn brown. The auto flowers i have r the same way. Some the white hairs are shrivilling up and turning brownish. As if they died. Ive seen it in all mine... so unless its like... buds, not just bud hairs are dying off, or rotting....
I believe it may be norm. But get a second consult:)

An occasional light rain never hurt my plants. One year it hailed in late May out here (very rare). My plants got pelted, but i braced them back up and they recovered in the warm Cali sun. I almost lost my entire crop that year. That was back when i was a co-op grower. Today, I grow for personal.

look through these pics...good pics of Bud Rot...2me it resembles that fuzzy stuff ya get on the meatloaf after a month in the fridge

hXXps://www.google.com/search?q=marijuana+bud+rot+pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

changing pistil colors is absalutly Normal later in flower...and if ya havent seen them change befor...keep growing...you will

Keep M Green:D

Our rain water is over 8 ph and our soil is high in ph also. Bad combo for outdoor growing.

Potscientest said:
..... pores where they breath in can get clogged, on the under side of the leaves.

Absolutly false.

Spraying "CO2" water on your leaves will do absolutly nothing to improve the growth of a plant.
There are many factors that have to be met in order to utilize CO2 effectivly. Increased lumans, higher ppm feed, tempature are all factors in when usuing CO2.

Well id like to say its worked for me. Ive had 9 plants, 4 on oneside, and 5 on the other. One side gets misting, and o e side doesnt. Higher co2 ALLOWS you to have higher temps, and everything else. Co2 is what plants use, so how could spraying plants not work? Leaves consume co2 within a one inch range all around the leaves.When the water evaporates, or is soaked up, the co2 goes where? It doesnt magically disappear away from the plants. Plants absorb nuitrients througn the leaves through foiler sprays, why cant co2 sprays work too? It may not be some super 1 pound cola production, but you cant tell me it doesnt do any good at all. Not if leaves breath in co2. Because the half that doesnt get it in my garden, arent near as filled out as the ones that do get it. Once again, i am not saying its a primo way to get super weight. Its not, but it does help. I spray mine 3 times a day.

A stoma (pl. stomata) is a microscopic pore on the surface (epidermis) of land plants. It is surrounded by a pair of specialized epidermal cells called guard cells, which act as a turgor-driven valve that open and close the pores in response to given environmental conditions. The presence of countless numbers of stomata is critical for plant function. Typically, the plant epidermis is tightly sealed by wax-coated, interlocking epidermal pavement cells, which protect the plant body from the dry atmosphere and UV-rays. At the same time plants must be able to breathe, or exchange carbon dioxide and oxygen, for photosynthesis and respiration. Stomata act as a gateway for efficient gas exchange and water movement from the roots through the vasculature to the atmosphere (Fig. 1). Transpiration via stomata supplies water and minerals to the entire plant system (Raven 2002)(Fig. 1). When a plant encounters adverse environmental conditions, such as drought, a plant hormone called abscisic acid triggers stomata to shut tightly in order to prevent plants from dehydration and wilting.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58680

There is an article I posted about CO2 a while back. University study.

CO2 does not allow higher temps, higher temps is a MUST in order to see any benefit from CO2 ppm elevation.
Along with that, you MUST have higher then normal lumans, and a higher ppm nuit mix.

Along with all of this, you MUST control humidity, because you DON'T want the plants to uptake thru the leaves, you want them to uptake thru the root zone.

Simply raising CO2 levels does nothing my friend. It must be controled and all other factors must be in place in order to actually see a benefit.
Let me tell you, if you do have all your ducks in order, the benefits are amazing.

Besides bro, your a scientest....CO2 is a gas. Liquid CO2 doesnt form until 5 times regular atmoshperic pressure. SO yes, it DOES magically dissapear from your plants.

Latest posts

Back