How To : "GERMINATE YOUR SEEDS"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my thread still going..i may still have the pics on cdr ill see what i got and maybe put them up here or on a new thread. ;)

i used a heat factory heating pad from walmart for 2 bucks i put my beans in apaper towle dat i had put in a cd case den i teped da heat pad to it on 1 side 6 hrs later sprouted and b4 this i was having problems withda seeds seems like dey love heat

also, instead of a paper towel, a close-knit piece of cloth will do even nicer as clothes retain moisture even better!

goneindawind said:
i used a heat factory heating pad from walmart for 2 bucks i put my beans in apaper towle dat i had put in a cd case den i teped da heat pad to it on 1 side 6 hrs later sprouted and b4 this i was having problems withda seeds seems like dey love heat

Yup i have found that too, i did the two plates with paper towels in between technique, had a heating pad on top. This sped the process up by a day, in 36 hours they had an inch root on em

I like to use the paper towel mthod so I know which seeds will or should come up. And also then all my energy is concentrated on looking at just those instead of lots of different pots and keeping them damp for a while without knowing if their gonna come up.

If money wasn't an issue for me i'd probably just do what hick does and drop them right in.

I do it the old fashioned way ... poke a hole in some dirt and pop it in.
Soma maintains that transferring seedlings from tissue paper can damage the micro roots and cause unneccessary stress.

anyway you know how..papertowell,glass of water,grow cubes..in the soilmix etc etc just getum growin...each and every method mentioned has worked all the same for the most part.

Runbyhemp said:
I do it the old fashioned way ... poke a hole in some dirt and pop it in.
Soma maintains that transferring seedlings from tissue paper can damage the micro roots and cause unneccessary stress.

I agree, using soft/new potting soil is best - slightly padded down for some soft "firmness", light soft drip-watering for first couple of times until sprouting. I usually prepare the plastic pot and soil, pack down for firmness, use a bullet tip for 1/4 - 1/2 inch, drop seed in, approx. 8-10 seeds per pot. Cover the top with the light potting soil and lightly press. Then drip-water using my fingers to cover a bottle of water and start from middle / center in circles to drench the soil for first watering (since brand-new soil) until water starts coming out. Then stop. Then MAYBE water second day just a bit, and then usually sprouts in a few days with some light waterings in between. Let those roots go down in search.

I never had any success with towel-soaks, water cups, etc.

i have a thread on it, i use a cup of water, i wait till the tap root is an inch or over an inch then i poke a hole with a pencil and place root in after peeling shell off. the seedling is already out of the soil by then and have never had an issue. if you cant control your motor functions enough then do what hick said- throw um' in the dirt and water and pray!

my method is fool proof and will give 100% results on any seed that sprouts will be above ground.

like others have said- to each his own :D

Hick said:
Mother Nature never used paper towels or a baggie.
"IMHO"...this method is simply 'another' oppurtunity to muff them up. Those embryo's are delicate, Handling/moving/touching them dureing that stage is a risk.
There was a time that I employed "out of container germination", no mas
I prefer to drop 1 seed in 1 hole, approximately one half inch deep, in a quality organic soil, (FFOC) well saturated. Temps around 75F and keep 'em 'moist'.

due of what I know... Adam and Eve is punished....and the bible asks for our responsibility to help plants, breeding them.. grow vegetables.. bible did said the plants can not help themselves and needs our helps...

hope I did clear that up...the mother natures does need our help to grow greens.. God always praise you when he see you help plants to grow..;)

I have success grew 4 o'clock flowers.. now they are mothers and can handle themselves..they produces lot of seeds already!!

ShuttyMcShutShut said:
The best way I can answer your question is to tell you to follow what the other people have said regarding the paper towel method....let the tip grow out about 1/4" and then GENTLY GENTLY GENTLY(i cant stress this enough) place the seed, root down in a grow cube.....i have used rockwool grow cubes in the past, they seem to work pretty well....you can buy them at hydro stores or online, they're cheap.....jsut remember to 1.use distilled water(even though some users mention tap water...i think distilled is your best bet. 2.dont touch the root with your fingers and try not to rough it up too much placing it in the rockwool cube. once youve done that, place the cube into your grow medium...push it down in there so that the top of the cube is as close to flush with the top of the grow medium as possible....thats the method thats worked best for me

Thanks for your nice advice.

Just a word of caution here. Remember, the tap root's mission is to anchor the cotyledon parts of the seed in the soil, then flip it up out of the soil to get the photosynthesis engine started. There is a lmited amount of carbohydrate fuel in the seed to accomplish this. For example, if the seed is germinated in papertowels and the tap root is allowed to grow an inch or more, the seed may be doomed, no matter what you do.

The posted photo [from a book] above is absolutely correct. If you want to germinate the seeds outside of the soil, then you should check them everyday. When they have cracked and the tap roos just appears, it is time to plant them. Plant them tap root pointing up, just below the surface of the soil.

VF

headband said:
the tap root will find its way down, its not like the thing will grow upside down. I normally use the paper towel method, but 2 days ago i dropped 5 beans in a glass of water, now all 5 have cracked and are ready for soil. Its almost guaranteed to sprout, if the tap root shows. From my experience.

trillions of atoms said:
i have a thread on it, i use a cup of water, i wait till the tap root is an inch or over an inch then i poke a hole with a pencil and place root in after peeling shell off. the seedling is already out of the soil by then and have never had an issue. if you cant control your motor functions enough then do what hick said- throw um' in the dirt and water and pray!

my method is fool proof and will give 100% results on any seed that sprouts will be above ground.

like others have said- to each his own :D
lol...absolutely NO method is 100%.. "fool (stupid) proof".. ;)

yes i agree with HICK...I have better luck just putting bean in soil and water..no preying tho..just worship..lol..I have tried all these other ways and find that just putting it soil works best for me..and yes TAO to each his/her own..Good luck everyone

well it would be the same giving some one instructions that put something together and the person didnt follow the directions and the object you were making failed to be correct.

Well... foolproof way to seriously hurt yourself is to load a .357 stubby with a live round and put it to your temple, cock it and squeeze the trigger. Yes theres a very small chance the bullet wont fire but odds are.....its foolproof. ;)

Hope nobodys up to proving that one wrong. :p

Nothing wrong with disagreement!

trillions of atoms said:
well it would be the same giving some one instructions that put something together and the person didnt follow the directions and the object you were making failed to be correct.

Well... foolproof way to seriously hurt yourself is to load a .357 stubby with a live round and put it to your temple, cock it and squeeze the trigger. Yes theres a very small chance the bullet wont fire but odds are.....its foolproof. ;)

Hope nobodys up to proving that one wrong. :p

Nothing wrong with disagreement!

rofl... "actually"..;) if you've only loaded it with "a" live round,..(as stated).. the odds are 5 to 1, that it will hurt you...:p. Unless of course, it is one of the newer 5 shot revolvers. In which case your ods would be slightly higher..:rofl:

Latest posts

Back