New guy needs some TIPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyperbrandon

Learning the trade
Reaction score
Hello all. Well i made this post for one reason. I need some useful tips and tricks of the trade. I will be starting a grow here in about 3-4 months. I'm currently working on my light setup and thinking if I wont to grow inside or outside. As far as lighting goes i think I'm set on that. What i don't no is anything about nutes, fertilizer, Pot size and Temperatures.I hope I'm not asking for to much.

Any Tips or Tricks will be much appreciated.

indoor, you can manage your temps, aim for a constant of 75 deg.
Pot size depending on your grow space, if you have lots of room, the bigger the pot, the bigger the plant pretty much, not that much room, smaller pot. I use 5 gall, but 3 gall are just fine. nutes, i use the foxfarm line(organic)grow big, tiger blume, beastie blume, cha ching, is what im using,
never used ferts. maby this is a lil help 4 ya. also you want to keep your eye on humidity, ph levels, moister levels as well

Welcome to MP. Glad to have ya here and hope to see ya around. Enjoy the site! ;)

Hey there HyperBrandon,
How you doing ?, welcome to the site.
cop a squat, get the reading glasses on and be prepared to get your socks knocked off with all the great info your gonna find here.
If that don't trip your trigger then some of these wonderful folks will. LOL
We all dig great pics, and really like to see how others are doing with their grows. Keep us up to date won't you ? Read over the few simple rules, you will find that they are simple and few. Keep your privacy, though you are safe here.
Bring a good sense of the Ha- Ha with ya, and we'll spark one in your honor

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Let me speak on my plans as of now.

I'm starting with a 400 WATT GROW LIGHT SYSTEM(HPS & MH). My seeds will be bagseed. I don't want to start out with high dollar seeds. My first grow might not be that great. I'm not sure what kinda dirt I'm going to use yet. Ideas? I'll start them in white cups cut in half and taped back(makes it easy for me to make more room without harming the roots).

My room that I'm thinking of using is about 8x8(Inside my home). But there is no air conditioning there and in the summer it can get up to 95+ in there. So with that being said I'm looking to put something together outdoors for the summer and indoors for the winter time.

I will be posting pictures of my grow when I start. I'm really looking forward to get some opinions from those that have been doing this for some time.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

READ, READ, and MORE READING.

This will save you a lot of trouble of having to learn from your mistakes. You will always be better off if you learn by others mistakes. Good luck.

Oh and if you have any specific questions post them up and someone will help you out.

use foxfarm oceanforest. It already has some but add some more perlite. I use a 400hps aswell and would have that "heat" issue if it were summer too. The better the seed, the better the plant. No Matter What!. start with good seeds or youll be regretting it. My first grow is in progress and is amazing me. Dont get down on your self cus you dont think "a first grow" can be bomb. Cus your right, if you start out thinking like that.

stickyicky nailed it just read as much as you can theres great info on this site, and if anything seems wierd in your grow just post a thread and some pics and these people will diagnose and help you fix the problem everytime (at least they did for me). and for my first grow i have one of the nicest plants ive ever seen in person.

Well I've been reading everything I can. I've also been watching the grow journals to see how others go about it. I love the Grow Journals.

isthatjohnstamos said:
stickyicky nailed it just read as much as you can theres great info on this site, and if anything seems wierd in your grow just post a thread and some pics and these people will diagnose and help you fix the problem everytime (at least they did for me). and for my first grow i have one of the nicest plants ive ever seen in person.

I second the Ocean Forest, I use that in my soil grows and I mix in some FF Light Warrior too. I also am a coco guy, I love coco but if this is your first grow I don't want to confuse you. Anyways the OF mix will be good without any nutes for the young seedlings. Nutes I use both FF and also I am a fan of Botanicare's pro blend series...both are organic. Also a 400 in an 8 x 8 room will not cover the whole area...maybe 3x3 or even 4x4 (might be a stretch). Heta is an issue but you know that, depending on your plans and if you want to spend money or not you could get a cool tube or some sort of AC in their for heat. But I think you have it right....outside then figure your inside out. How will you be doing your outdoor? Cloning and then putting outside or just from seed? If you are cloning you could practice on a couple in your growroom before you put outside.

Like a previous poster said read, read some more, and maybe try a practice veg if you are cloning for outdoor, you could have a month or so veg. period and then move them outside when the time comes.

Here's my helpful tip:
less is always better, you seem to know that but it's still very important. Good luck, and let us know when you have more specific questions, I like helping, never know what I might learn too.

Welcome,
I agree with headband. Use good soil like ocean forest and good seeds. I would use the bag seed to practice germinating them and growing for a few weeks to get the hang of it. I would use some good quality inexpensive seeds like nirvana or mandala seeds. I have excellent results with both companies seeds, 100% germ with no weak plants. Bag seed can be good but you have little information on them like flowering times and finished size. You also don't know if bag seed is the result of hermophidite pollen increasing the possiblities of more hermies. Unless you know the breeder.
I grew bag seed for 27 years and had some excellent plants but it would have been easier for me to learn how to grow if I had good soil, known seeds and a great site like this when I started.

Well for the 8x8 room. I'm only using half of it so 4x4 is the space. Rest is for my comfort. :watchplant:

Outside... well I'm not sure what I'll do yet. Most likely ill make a fridge size box. I'll line the hole inside with Reflective Mylar. After that I'll add the light on Hangers and lower and higher as needed. I haven't thought about this though completely. I'm still a little over whelmed with it all. I guess I'm just so damn excited.

And snuggles your post has already confused me. coco? Like coco butter?:hubba:

And cloning is something I'm not ready for. What I'll do is start my first grow with you all and I'll try things as I go. Maybe even learn some things.

Yeah, don't worry about things like cloning right now. A lot of people put too much on their plate at one time. You need to get the basics down before you start breeding and cloning and re vegging and other advanced techniques.

Also, if you are only going to use half of the 8X8 area then you need to partition it off for two reasons. Number one is so you don't have any light leaks during flowering (which can slow things down or even cause hermies). And also because you want to maximize your lumens by restricting it to only where the plant will get it.

TheStickyIcky said:
Yeah, don't worry about things like cloning right now. A lot of people put too much on their plate at one time. You need to get the basics down before you start breeding and cloning and re vegging and other advanced techniques.

Also, if you are only going to use half of the 8X8 area then you need to partition it off for two reasons. Number one is so you don't have any light leaks during flowering (which can slow things down or even cause hermies). And also because you want to maximize your lumens by restricting it to only where the plant will get it.

re vegging what is that ive never heard of it?

Latest posts

Back