does heat produce more resin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the best time to apply heat is during flowering when the lights are off ;)

trillions of atoms said:
yes newschool but stress turns untrue females into males by herming them. so that what you just said is out on another playing feild. stress leads to males, heat is a form of stress.

stress leads to the formation of male flowers on female plants... not more males. A male plant is a male plant, a fermale plant with male flowers is a hermie.

just because a female plant grows male flowers this does not turn her into a male. she becomes a hermie.

and what do you mean by untrue female?

all flowering dioecious female plants are untrue...

jjsunderground said:
the best time to apply heat is during flowering when the lights are off ;)

Can you explain this please?

I gather you are referring to the fact that heat is a form of light and the activities of the phytochrome?

still, i'd like to hear what you know about it. It's not really much good making a flippant comment without the back-up.

i think what he ment was heat at night when the lights are out to cause the air to dry out forcing the plant to produce more resin thing is the plant does this in the colder temps to protect its self from the cold not the heat. Heat will cause the plant to produce trichs/resins less as there is no need to protect its self form the cold. Lets think of when a MJ plant produces resins, latter in the year when its colder at night, hmmmm dry and cooler sounds right to me i think of how it does at night in the late summer and its mid 50s and low 60s and them girls are all frosty, now ive done it time for a bong :D

Dubbaman said:
i think what he ment was heat at night when the lights are out to cause the air to dry out forcing the plant to produce more resin thing is the plant does this in the colder temps to protect its self from the cold not the heat. Heat will cause the plant to produce trichs/resins less as there is no need to protect its self form the cold. Lets think of when a MJ plant produces resins, latter in the year when its colder at night, hmmmm dry and cooler sounds right to me i think of how it does at night in the late summer and its mid 50s and low 60s and them girls are all frosty, now ive done it time for a bong :D

I know what he meant, i was talking on a cellular level. This is where all the action takes place, the environment cause chemical reactions and processes within the plant. Understand these processes and you will begin to understand the plant, and be more able to manipulate it to your needs.

Phytochromes are dimeric chromopeptides with monomers of 120-130 kDa that possess two photoconvertible forms: Pr (red light-absorbing phy) and Pfr (far-red light-absorbing phy) (1). Synthesis is in the Pr form that upon light absorption (peak in red light) is transformed to Pfr that is considered the physiologically active form. In turn, light absorption (peak in far-red light) back-transforms Pfr into Pr.

I believe what is being said here is that if you have a hotter grow room (far red) during the night/lights out then you will activate more of the Pr into Pfr and therefore gain bigger buds.

NewSkoolHarvester said:
I know what he meant, i was talking on a cellular level.

Theres your problem then you cant pass up a chance to try and make someone feel inferior. you could have said it in real simple terms that anyone can understand, instead of using your wanna be look i just read photosynthesis 101 and am the king of smart growers. FYI your not. Your just some onethat cant stand to let a thread go when the help requested or advice given doesn't suit your way of growing. Spouting any and all tech gibberish to the general public may work on your other site where you are the Mod but here its more Layman's friendly and all your spouting and loquaciousness isn't going to save you and have folks here thinking you got it together. A plant is a plant and if you ever made the paper white daffs grow in 3rd grade then you can grow MJ too. you need to just pack it up stop thinking of yourself as a growing god and do like the rest of us are trying to do and help out a fellow grower and not attempt to make them feel ignorant and uneducated.

Theres your problem then you cant pass up a chance to try and make someone feel inferior. you could have said it in real simple terms that anyone can understand, instead of using your wanna be look i just read photosynthesis 101 and am the king of smart growers. FYI your not. Your just some that cant stand to let a thread go when the help requested or advice given doesn't suit your way of growing. Spouting any and all tech gibberish to the general public may work on your other site where you are the Mod but here its more Layman's friendly and all your spouting and loquaciousness isn't going to save you and have folks here thinking you got it together. A plant is a plant and if you ever made the paper white daffs grow in 3rd grade then you can grow MJ too. you need to just pack it up stop thinking of yourself as a growing god and do like the rest of us are trying to do and help out a fellow grower and not attempt to make them feel ignorant and uneducated.

:headbang2:

and to your attempt: you can say that sex is predisposed but i will say this. stop taking me so literal or i will spell it out so YOU can understand.

heat is stress and it causes more male parts than a cooler more temperate climate it also causes strech, along with decreased potency and yeild. a hermi is NOT a female, so to say that heat causes males THAT IS STILL A TRUE STATEMENT.

and by untrue female i mean a female that will hermi under adverse lighting conditions or other outward incured stresses like climate and unnatural causes like , persay , a streetlamp.

heat can cause more male reproductive organs in the plant species cannibis sativa, indica and rudialis. are you

i smoked some amazingly white weed that got me high for maybe an hour if that and it was grown in 90 degrees so =\

i

From my experience, it is not the cold that packs on the trichs, it is the very hot late summer sun. Resin is MJ's natural defence system to protect its seeds from the soaring dry heat. Colder temps at night make MJ plants display all of there potential genetic colorations, but very low humidity and higher temps when the lights are on have always made my plants go into overdrive the the Trichs.

I am not discounting anyone elses methods, because what works for one person, makes a mess in another grow room. If I were to drop the night temps in my growroom, it will effect my grow rates, and it will definiately start to stress my plant, reducing harvest and maybe causing hermies.
The only time i ever get hermies is when my plants get light poisioning or when my night temps drop too low.

Either way I only play with the temp and humidity in the last few weeks while i am flushing, I also feel that it help the plant use up all of its nute stores.

:cool: It has been my experience, across all strains I have grown, cool night temps and moderate day temps lead to greater yield and potency. That said, I try and keep temps at around 60-65 in night and 75-80 in day

The 2 variables which seems to most contribute to potency and yield are shorter light distance and lower humidity. the buds closer to the light seem to get frostier/fatter and if I keep the humidity under 30 percent for the whole grow the bud is frostier.

[I also think CO2 is a valuable addition to the growroom in any measure.] :D

Dubbaman said:
.....loquaciousness.....

That's a big word there Chief, sure you dont need a rest after that one? LOL

:holysheep:

:cool:

Nova

Hmm...There is no need to make people feel inferior or stupid. This thread was started to discuss peoples ideas and opinions. None of it is based on tried and true facts because it would take hundreds of grows and lots of experimenting to prove anything that has been said.

It's said that trichromes are produced to protect the leaves and buds of the plant against excessive moisture loss during flowering. That's what their function is. Just because a plant is frosty white doesn't mean it's going to be some killer bud. On the flip side, a plant can have almost no trichs and be some very dank bud. I think genetics plays a huge role in the potency of the bud. The THC content is affected my many factors which include genetics and other outside factors such as heat, light, water, nutes and size of the plant in flowering.

I don't believe that making the grow room really hot during lights on will increase the THC content. It may make the plant produce more trichs but as I stated before, that doesn't necessarily mean the bud is going to be any stronger.

Anyways, I'm done rambling on and on. These are just my thoughts and I enjoyed reading over this thread. No need to fight about it, though. To each his own, I believe. Anyways, take care everyone.

There is a school of thought now that suggests using extra heat during lights out can aid in faster growth and development.

It involves a lot of scientific reasoning, so I shall refrain from posting it here.;)

This is not to say that I agree with the proposal/theory. Extra heat brings it's own troubles and increases the rates of pathogens that would otherwise have laid dormant or passive.

Puffin Afatty said:
:cool: It has been my experience, across all strains I have grown, cool night temps and moderate day temps lead to greater yield and potency. That said, I try and keep temps at around 60-65 in night and 75-80 in day

The 2 variables which seems to most contribute to potency and yield are shorter light distance and lower humidity. the buds closer to the light seem to get frostier/fatter and if I keep the humidity under 30 percent for the whole grow the bud is frostier.

[I also think CO2 is a valuable addition to the growroom in any measure.] :D

interesting we have near matching conditions less the CO2.

Nova said:
That's a big word there Chief, sure you dont need a rest after that one? LOL
LOL nah didnt need a break after it but it sure did take a long time to remember how to spell it :rofl:

Here is an article that I found on potency and TCH production that was in cannabis culture, this will explain the purpose of cannabis producing Trichs

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2159.html

Also when I say higher temps, I am talking about 85 degrees or 95 with the inclusion of C02. This is also only done in the last 2 weeks or so while I am flushing.

Also I think the natural otdoor environment that the plant originally thrived in is the optimal indoor environment as well. I grow a lot of heavy indicas like Hashplant, that originated from very hot and dry climates. This is probably the reason that my plants respond very well to my technique.

If on the other hand you were growing an Alaskan Sativa, I would think my method would be very inferior. I just think that it is important to know your strain as well as possible to truely maximize it.

You're right massproducer. Genetics plays a huge role in how the plant will respond in different situation with different outside factors affecting it. Take care.

well id say that the intensity of the light the plant is getting is a big factor along with genetics. the heat you get from a hot summer day means the plant will be getting ALOT more lumen content from the sun compared to a cool rainy day or a cooler cloudy day. also location of the grows where the sun will be closer in some places, hotter typically near the equator... so therefore thc production will generally be better from summer months growing compared to non admented light in greenhouses in winter months away from it.

heat is a factor but intensity will directly be involved with these measurements in the longrun along with the suns orbit comparring each growing period and each crop which contains certian genetics that varies constantly.

many factors play a role in thc production basicly is all im getting at, some moreso than others....

As we can all see every one has different opinions on weed, and resin. Mainly because they're are millions of strands, and millions of successful results, and lots of propaganda on the subject, and the fact that weed, and rumors go together like cheech and chong, or butters in a squirrel suit. Who knows what makes better weed. It depends on who you talk too!

Latest posts

Back