does heat produce more resin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know...has any one gone out on a really hot day to check your plant to see the bud oozing resin out, then gone out on a cool day to find no resin oozing out?

I dont think that heat or intensity have much to do with resin production if any. It would have to be genetics.

I don't know.

I think it was colder weather producing more resin because it tries to protect itself or something similar. I could be way off though.

Joseph James said:
I don't know...has any one gone out on a really hot day to check your plant to see the bud oozing resin out, then gone out on a cool day to find no resin oozing out?​

I dont think that heat or intensity have much to do with resin production if any. It would have to be genetics.​

I don't know.​

Yes this is exactly right... the overall potency of any specific plant cannot be altered by the environment (barring catastrophe, of course). The plant will be geared to produce a certain amount of trich's, also geared to cannabinise a certain percentage of those trich's. The overall potency cannot be changed as it is genetic. Even if you stress the plant to make it produce more trich's it may well be that cannabis is genetically incapable of cannabinising them. So your efforts are wasted, and the extra trich's you produce merely globules of sticky nothing.

The only way to alter the genetics of a plant (even by using the environment) is through successive breeding. You cannot change the genetic code of a plant in one sitting.

gardenguru said:
Yes this is exactly right... the overall potency of any specific plant cannot be altered by the environment (barring catastrophe, of course). The plant will be geared to produce a certain amount of trich's, also geared to cannabinise a certain percentage of those trich's. The overall potency cannot be changed as it is genetic. Even if you stress the plant to make it produce more trich's it may well be that cannabis is genetically incapable of cannabinising them. So your efforts are wasted, and the extra trich's you produce merely globules of sticky nothing.

The only way to alter the genetics of a plant (even by using the environment) is through successive breeding. You cannot change the genetic code of a plant in one sitting.

................ BUT.. the final outcome "can" be effected by the environmental conditions..
What you 'seem' to be saying, is that , if you start with quality genetics, your outcome/product will be potent, regardless of environment. That can't be true. A simple 2 hour difference in light hours during flower,(10/14 rather than 12/12) has been proven to produce a far inferior product.
It's pretty simple biology. A plant raised, and matured in a "less than ideal" environment is NOT going to result the same quality product, as a plant grown and matured under "ideal" conditions, proper nutrient levels, light spectrum and levels, regardless of it's genetic structure/background.
Environment playing a huge roll can be easily seen in the quality of bud grown from bagseeds.Even seeds from nasty brown brick, "can" produce fine quality product, IF grown an cared for properly.

i think what he means is no matter how BIG the bud gets its gonna get you high the same etiher way. even if is a bowl full of tiny 1/4 gram buds.

evironment can cause evolution though...i mean we were monkies once right?

Colder climates will encourage the plant to "Bundle Up" so to speak by actually producing MORE resin.

Hotter climates will produce less over time, heat will degrade the THC, Cannabis seems to like cooler 70-78F tops usually with little or no humidity during flower (unless you have a tropical climatized strain like Thai or Durban Poison) to encourage optimal resin production.

In short,

Heat = Less (strain specific)
Cold = More (strain specific)

Also, more strains than I care to mention turn purple in tempratures of 60f or below.

When this method is used it's not a drastic increase in temp. I keep my temps at around 75-80. I'd raise the temp maybe 5 degrees. Resin heads areto protect your plant from heat and uvb. I know a few people who swear by adding a uvb bulb the last few weeks of flowering. Me...I just keep it simple and try to keep my temps constant. Regular ol' growing gets my buds good and potent. If you want potency...buy an indica;).

just came in here to check and see that my thread is actually still going tons of excellent information here guys keep it going :)........and idk ifi think cooler or warmer is better now lol just gonna keep reading as yall discuss lol and try to make up my mind

Last season we had a patch in Northern California, @ 5150 elevation. The location did recieve great sun, and daytime highs reached 90 degrees often. As October arrived, a freak hail, snow, and frost was reported by the good ol weather man so we made a mad dash to rescue our crop. When we arrived (late ofcourse) :hairpull: , the storm was in full swing, with lows in the high 20's. After repairing the maoderate damage, we noticed a 5 fold increase in resin!!?

Now im not positive the cold increased the buzz, but the added stress to the plant clearly gave the greens an insane look, and touch. (And that i happen to enjoy):woohoo:

Well, extreme cold just shows more stress on the plant witch can cause an increase in its potency, but same can be said about extreme heat, although stress may increase THC in some strands, others can be extremely different. However, stress will always cause plants to grow slow...

Puffin Afatty said:
:cool: It has been my experience, across all strains I have grown, cool night temps and moderate day temps lead to greater yield and potency. That said, I try and keep temps at around 60-65 in night and 75-80 in day

The 2 variables which seems to most contribute to potency and yield are shorter light distance and lower humidity. the buds closer to the light seem to get frostier/fatter and if I keep the humidity under 30 percent for the whole grow the bud is frostier.

[I also think CO2 is a valuable addition to the growroom in any measure.] :D
LOL yea why don't you try the new co2 tablets i heard they work miracles :ignore: :spit: Anyways to get into this little bind i think HUMIDITY is the only thing to do with resin. The STRAIN has something to do with how much heat it can take ;) :rolleyes:

Puffin Afatty said:
:cool: It has been my experience, across all strains I have grown, cool night temps and moderate day temps lead to greater yield and potency. That said, I try and keep temps at around 60-65 in night and 75-80 in day

The 2 variables which seems to most contribute to potency and yield are shorter light distance and lower humidity. the buds closer to the light seem to get frostier/fatter and if I keep the humidity under 30 percent for the whole grow the bud is frostier.

[I also think CO2 is a valuable addition to the growroom in any measure.] :D
LOL yea why don't you try the new co2 tablets i heard they work miracles :ignore: :spit: Anyways to get into this little bind i think HUMIDITY is the only thing to do with resin. The STRAIN has something to do with how much heat it can take ;) :rolleyes:

massproducer said:
Here is an article that I found on potency and TCH production that was in cannabis culture, this will explain the purpose of cannabis producing Trichs

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2159.html

Also when I say higher temps, I am talking about 85 degrees or 95 with the inclusion of C02. This is also only done in the last 2 weeks or so while I am flushing.

Also I think the natural otdoor environment that the plant originally thrived in is the optimal indoor environment as well. I grow a lot of heavy indicas like Hashplant, that originated from very hot and dry climates. This is probably the reason that my plants respond very well to my technique.

If on the other hand you were growing an Alaskan Sativa, I would think my method would be very inferior. I just think that it is important to know your strain as well as possible to truely maximize it.

;) I agree, genetics is everything. Some plants do much better in higher humidity. I have found there is more resin production in a dry environment with strains like thai, haze, nl, ww, bb and ice.

I think it was ToA hit it on the head. It is not heat persay, but Lumens. In the late summer, the Sun is BEAMING, and the plants push trichromes as a defense against it. Basically, it acts like a "light diffuser" protecting the newly forming seeds (or bud). It is as simple as that.

Now, there are big differances in strains and how much THC they produce. You can only maximize what a plant is capable of, not increse the THC beyond what it naturally will do. Does this make sense?

Heat is the enemy. Period. But cold can be the enemy too, though most of us do not fight this. I do put in a heater in the room iduring the winter during "off" light hours. And I do not run Air Cooled lights during the winter. My focus is keeping that 80 degree temp during lights on, and 70 degree when lights off. It's hard to do.

If you drop you humidity in the last 2 to 3wks of flower to about 25 to 30% you can actually increase the amount of resin production but your yeild will slightly be affected. Heat will only increase the inner leaf core temp and cause your stomata to breath more off than take in co2. The high heat also cause your leafs to sort of taco, and can dry out and burn your leafs. But as the guys said above if your running co2, keeping your co2 at 1800ppm lets you run temps from 90 to 96deg because the plants metabolism is greatly enhanced. Normal co2 range in the atmosphere is around 300 to 450ppm, so you can see the relation with heat and co2. So summing it up only increase your heat if you increase your co2 consumption. Try this humidity trick out and keep us posted man. Peace and Love!!!

bznuts said:
Last season we had a patch in Northern California, @ 5150 elevation. The location did recieve great sun, and daytime highs reached 90 degrees often. As October arrived, a freak hail, snow, and frost was reported by the good ol weather man so we made a mad dash to rescue our crop. When we arrived (late ofcourse) :hairpull: , the storm was in full swing, with lows in the high 20's. After repairing the maoderate damage, we noticed a 5 fold increase in resin!!?

Now im not positive the cold increased the buzz, but the added stress to the plant clearly gave the greens an insane look, and touch. (And that i happen to enjoy):woohoo:

.. a "5 fold" increase in resin production, from a storm only in "full swing" for a few hours?.. I doubt it. Resin production occurs over a period of days or weeks, but most definately not in a few hours.
I've experienced snow on more than one crop. I've even nursd them through and matured them for an additional 2-3 weeks, and never "noticed" a huge increase in gland production. I grow at a li'l above 6500 ft.

Well this is my theory. And I think that its all theory personally and science itself cannot fully explain why THC exists at all in the plant. I also think that most of the comments in this thread are in reality all probably correct to some degree. This is just my observation from years of growing btw so take it or leave it.....

I think that the SIZE of the trichs are controlled by genetics. I also know that inside a trich there is some amount of volatile liquid. Be that H2O or some other heat sensitive substance. When the heat is hi and continuously hi some of the resin inside literally evaporates(The volatile liquids only not the lipids/oils). Once it does the plant in response to that will produce resin to fill the vacuum or space in the trich. Additionally low humidity and or high elevation seem to also have that same effect and can also be stated to potentiate the volatility of liquids. Again the plant having a trich genetically predisposed to be a certain size, the natural pressure of the plant (also increased by heat and in turn increased transpiration) just oozes for lack of a better term in to the space created by the evaporation of the liquids.

This is why some say heat produces this result while other say humidity or lack there of does this. This also explains why some have experiences where heat during the day and low temps at night can also have this effect. It also explains Northern Cali green being soooo nice. Its more that you are not evaporating off what always should have been there (remember a plant or animal for that matter will NOT doing anything it is not genetically capable of and will always reach for these potentials unless otherwise constrained). When you DO get the right combination for your elevation and other environmental conditions that contribute to evaporation, it then looks like fabulous greenery....as it always should of.

Look at the way a plant flowers. Most people THINK that the plant senses the 12 hour difference and then turns on flower mode. Couldn't be farther from the truth and this is known science. In fact what really happens is there is a chemical, a hormone, that is continuously produced by the plant. This causes the plants leaves to form differently, pistols(kinda), etc. Now I said the plant is ALWAYS producing the SAME amount of this so how does it know to flower then right? Well that hormone is also unstable. It is highly volatile when exposed to certain nm light. It just so happens that it takes roughly 12+ hours to "burn off" enough of the hormone that it doesn't flower the plant. Once you turn the lights back to 12 the plant then can produce enough hormone and have it remain active in the plant and finally accumulate (this is why it isnt instant btw) enough to produce the changes noticeably. You see....this is another example of how chemical volatility effects a plant. I personally feel that my theory regarding trichs behaves close to this paradigm. It fits the mj plants "way" in my eyes.

Remember I stated from the start that these are MY own personal theories, observations and thoughts so don't run out taking this for granted.

HaHA....I just realized I replied to a 5 year old thread! So sorry :(

Latest posts

Back